Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Oct 2018, 22:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 39 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 15:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
to do so, i edited my prefs.js in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/[blabla].default/ and added:

Hallo HerrBert, thanks for that little modification...I tried it out to see if it sped up palemoon on a system running a Nagel neu Bionic 18.05 built yesterday from woof-CE with a freshly compiled kernel 4.9.96 (i686) PAE enabled..... using the kernel-kit.

It does seem to really improve the overall speed that palemoon loads pages.

machine type : DELL OptiPlex GX260

very nice!
backi

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 15:44    Post subject:  

I am curious ......where and how to place those lines exactly ??
HerrBert

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 16:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
.where and how to place those lines exactly ??

1. quit palemoon.
2. open in texteditor:
Code:
/root/.moonchild productions/pale moon/[blabla].default/prefs.js

(of course, your profile is not [blabla] - edit to your profiles-folder)
3. insert the three lines ( i did it in alphabetic order)
4. save and exit texteditor

start palemoon and enjoy Wink
Screenshot_2018-05-17_220408.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.1 KB
 Viewed   602 Time(s)

Screenshot_2018-05-17_220408.jpg

norgo

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 16:27    Post subject:  

here a little bit more exactly Wink
prefs
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 03:15    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.9.1 available  

Walter Dnes wrote:
Version 27.9.1 is available for downloading....
Hi Walter - in the old days it used to be possible to make a browser pet with a bookmarks file, or a config file that was usable on anyones machine. Then everything went to json files etc and these days I get the impression that such things as bookmarks or about:config changes can only be stored or changed AFTER a user creates a machine specific profile during first run of the browser on their own machine.

I would like to release a .pet of Palemoon that contains predetermined bookmarks (but no other reflections of my personal profile). Do you think this is currently possible or likely to be possible in a future release?

(I am also wondering if the changes made above by HerrBert could be grafted in to a default Palemoon without creating a personal profile first??)

(This is kind of similar to a previous question of mine regarding profiles but who knows, the answer may be slightly different)
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 07:29    Post subject:  

Hiya, GG.

Mm. I'm guessing that what you want sounds rather similar to a 'kiosk'-style OS (Puppy or otherwise). Set-up with 'default' bookmarks, but not linked to any specific individual's profile.....and otherwise 'tinker-proof'.

I've occasionally wondered about that myself. How do we know that any device offering a kiosk-style browser hasn't been already set-up with a profile linked to the specific company, etc., responsible for supplying such a browser.....with such details 'locked-down' and not accessible by the casual user?

(In other words, you wouldn't be any the wiser.)

Food for thought?

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 18 May 2018, 07:53; edited 1 time in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 07:42    Post subject:  

You can introduce custom default preferences.
In the main palemoon directory, create directories and a file so you have
*/palemoon/browser/defaults/preferences/syspref.js
The first line should be a comment as it is ignored I believe.
Then add any preferences like this for example:-
Code:
// first line should be a comment - add custom preferences below
pref("permissions.default.object", 3);
pref("permissions.default.script", 3);
pref("permissions.default.subdocument", 3);

When you launch palemoon and go to about:config you should find that these preferences appear in the list as defaults.
I think other paths and file names (*.js) can be used, but I just tested that one and it worked for me.

backi

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 07:47    Post subject:  

Thanks !
Smile Smile Smile
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 16:07    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
The first line should be a comment as it is ignored I believe.
Then add any preferences like this for example:-
Code:
// first line should be a comment - add custom preferences below
pref("permissions.default.object", 3);
pref("permissions.default.script", 3);
pref("permissions.default.subdocument", 3);

Thanks HerrBert and OscarTalks,

I trialled this in a palemoon-27.3.0-p4-sse-glibc219tweak (that I think came from watchdog) and needed to put the syspref.js file inside the following directory:

/usr/lib/palemoon/defaults/pref

Seems to be a real timesaver (only light testing so far - particularly noticeable time saved when using www.trademe.co.nz)
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 12:38    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.9.1 available  

greengeek wrote:
I would like to release a .pet of Palemoon that contains predetermined bookmarks (but no other reflections of my personal profile). Do you think this is currently possible or likely to be possible in a future release?

(I am also wondering if the changes made above by HerrBert could be grafted in to a default Palemoon without creating a personal profile first??)

(This is kind of similar to a previous question of mine regarding profiles but who knows, the answer may be slightly different)

It can be done, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data#w_what-information-is-stored-in-my-profile lists what info is stored where. But, you'll run into problems with the redistribution licence http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml clause 3, sections b, c, d, and e.

The only way around this might be a package consisting of nothing but a template profile. Even then, I have my doubts. I don't speak officially for the project. If you really want to go ahead, contact Moonchild for the official final word. There's a "contact me" link near the bottom of http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 12:41    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.9.2 available  

Version 27.9.2 is available for downloading. This is a security and stability release. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530[/quote]
watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 14:18    Post subject: Re: very, very lightweight adblocker for palemoon  

HerrBert wrote:

Code:
user_pref("permissions.default.object", 3);
user_pref("permissions.default.script", 3);
user_pref("permissions.default.subdocument", 3);

fits my needs and speeds up palemoon

Good to know but with these settings I can't login at Gmail...
backi

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 15:23    Post subject:  

Hi Watchdog !

Experienced similar Problems ....dont know exactly which are the advantages of using these settings .....somehow it seems to block some funktionality ......
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 16:10    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.9.1 available  

Walter Dnes wrote:
It can be done, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data#w_what-information-is-stored-in-my-profile lists what info is stored where. But, you'll run into problems with the redistribution licence http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml clause 3, sections b, c, d, and e.
Thanks Walter - that info is pretty clear.

Quote:
The binaries and/or archives are completely UNALTERED. This includes addition or removal of any component of the browser or redistributing modified parts of the browser as-built (including, without limitation, predefined profile components,

cheers!
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2018, 12:28    Post subject: href not valid : what to do ?  

href not valid : what to do ?
href.jpg
 Description   href not found
 Filesize   28.8 KB
 Viewed   284 Time(s)

href.jpg

Page 39 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: