palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
jss83

#586 Post by jss83 »

Any VPN extensions for Palemoon, I use browsec in firefox but don't want to install firefox as I prefer to keep/use only one browser?? :?

Burn_IT

#587 Post by Burn_IT »

Why don't you look for yourself??
I would be very surprised if there aren't, but only you know exactly what you are looking for.
I use browsec in firefox but don't want to install firefox
?????
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

darry19662018

#588 Post by darry19662018 »

Searched in the find extensions and found proxy privacy ruler?

jss83

#589 Post by jss83 »

darry19662018 wrote:Searched in the find extensions and found proxy privacy ruler?
It's not the same and not as easy to use as browsec or hoxx.

Walter Dnes

Re: Pale Moon 27.9.3 available

#590 Post by Walter Dnes »

Version 27.9.3 is available for downloading. This is a small security updtea. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530

darry19662018

#591 Post by darry19662018 »

Of late I have noticed flashgot is no longer available as a download in Palemoon but you can download as a xpi file extension here - open with palemoon.

https://www.download3k.com/DownloadLink1-FlashGot.html

Walter Dnes

#592 Post by Walter Dnes »

The official announcement is at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19416 I'll do any potential interim security builds e.g. 27.9.4 or 27.9.5 but the SSE builds will end with the official release of PM 28.0.0, built on the UXP base.

I've been experimenting with the Pale Moon 28 beta recently. Two showstoppers...
  • The "stdcxx_compat" option no longer works
  • PM 28 does not build on CentOS 6.5, even without "stdcxx_compat"
It was absolutely necessary to build PM 27 on CentOS 6.5 with the "stdcxx_compat" option, in order to run on Lucid Puppy. Either change, let alone both, forces newer libraries, i.e. newer distros that will struggle on a Pentium3.

Another issue is PM 28's memory usage, because "standards" are a moving target. There's a thread about minimum platform requirements at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19269 PM 28 has a lot of additional code. Right now, Pale Moon users run into websites that "don't work". If Pale Moon is not constantly updated to keep up, more and more websites will "stop working" in Pale Moon. Even if the compiler arguments were toggled to force an SSE build, the resulting binary would require more memory, running on a distro that would require more memory. It would absolutely crawl, rendering an SSE build pointless.

s243a

#593 Post by s243a »

Walter Dnes wrote:The official announcement is at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19416 I'll do any potential interim security builds e.g. 27.9.4 or 27.9.5 but the SSE builds will end with the official release of PM 28.0.0, built on the UXP base.

I've been experimenting with the Pale Moon 28 beta recently. Two showstoppers...
  • The "stdcxx_compat" option no longer works
  • PM 28 does not build on CentOS 6.5, even without "stdcxx_compat"
It was absolutely necessary to build PM 27 on CentOS 6.5 with the "stdcxx_compat" option, in order to run on Lucid Puppy. Either change, let alone both, forces newer libraries, i.e. newer distros that will struggle on a Pentium3.

Another issue is PM 28's memory usage, because "standards" are a moving target. There's a thread about minimum platform requirements at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19269 PM 28 has a lot of additional code. Right now, Pale Moon users run into websites that "don't work". If Pale Moon is not constantly updated to keep up, more and more websites will "stop working" in Pale Moon. Even if the compiler arguments were toggled to force an SSE build, the resulting binary would require more memory, running on a distro that would require more memory. It would absolutely crawl, rendering an SSE build pointless.
Hello Walter Dnes,

thank you, for all your work to allow people to run a newer browser from older systems, thereby keeping many old computers from the landfill. I guess the next question is what is the oldest version of CentOS that palemoon will compile on (either as SSE and SSE2) because even if the ship has sailed for Luicid there are still many older versions of linux which Palemoon 28 may work on.

As for memory usage people may be able to deal with this issue by using a SWAP partition/file but they will need a disk with decent speed for this to be any fun (e.g. SATA).

Also there are some newer version of linux that still use older libraries (e.g. Silatz or the puppy equivalent TazPup) still only uses glicc 2.14 which was released in 2011.

Walter Dnes

#594 Post by Walter Dnes »

s243a wrote:I guess the next question is what is the oldest version of CentOS that palemoon will compile on (either as SSE and SSE2) because even if the ship has sailed for Luicid there are still many older versions of linux which Palemoon 28 may work on.
I don't know right now. Building Pale Moon requires additional development tools+libraries above+beyond what is required to run Pale Moon. So I'd have to download the install ISO, install it to a spare machine, install additional dev libs/tools, copy over the build environment from another machine, at which point I could try building PM 28.

I jumped from CentOS 6.5 to 7.5, the latest. I'm retired, so I do have time to experiment. I could try CentOS 6.8, and go from there.
s243a wrote:As for memory usage people may be able to deal with this issue by using a SWAP partition/file but they will need a disk with decent speed for this to be any fun (e.g. SATA).
The 512 megabyte minimum seems fixed. An older machine with an older hard drive will end up thrashing like crazy.

s243a

#595 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:As for memory usage people may be able to deal with this issue by using a SWAP partition/file but they will need a disk with decent speed for this to be any fun (e.g. SATA).
The 512 megabyte minimum seems fixed. An older machine with an older hard drive will end up thrashing like crazy.
Well fortunately, most people should have at least that much ram :)...even on their older computers.

nosystemdthanks

#596 Post by nosystemdthanks »

s243a wrote:most people should have at least that much ram :)...even on their older computers.
its getting harder to find used stuff that doesnt have at least 512mb, i mean i had a p4 until recently and it had 256, a friend gave me some modules and it was up to 1g, so i could boot to ram. that was my oldest machine.

i picked up a laptop recently for $20, its more than 10 years old, it has 1gb. but who knows what you have laying around the house? i mean im typing this from a vista machine running ff-esr 52, ff is absolute garbage at this point, but theres always qupzilla and to be honest--

the ever bloated html standards are getting to be like agreeing to run windows.

"this browser is compliant with windows xp."

"what?"

"it can run 5 copies of windows xp in 5 tabs at once."

"that makes no sense at all."

"oh, like your web browser doesnt use as much resources as five copies of windows xp without noscript enabled."

seriously, its like everything i run other than this piece of garbage browser (telemetry, p*** off) is 1/5 of the resources being used. and the other 4/5 goes to Sir Mozilla, king of the f***ing internet.

i dont even bother with wordpress anymore, its too bloated on 4 cores, all so it can be tablet-friendly and a bunch of hipster d*****bags at starbucks can be like "hey, im a dev at wordpress." yeah, well, you destroyed one of the top 100 websites, pat yourselves on the back and have another mochaccino.

youll have to excuse me, i have to go take a really giant web standard: 2 tabs, 2 cores and 4 flushes. its not bill gates forcing us to throw hardware away anymore, its sir tim. honestly, i used to like the guy. i liked mozilla too, before they sold out everything they stood for.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Sailor Enceladus

#597 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Great post nosystemdthanks! :)

Since Palemoon 28 is based on Firefox 52 (I think) I'll probably stick with Walter's PM 27.9.3 for quite a while too (forever?).

keniv

#598 Post by keniv »

I am sorry to hear this. I am one of those who does not have 512MB of ram. I have 320MB on the old laptop I use. I think my solution will also be not updating PM.

Regards,

Ken.

XP Refugee

browser not keeping up with web

#599 Post by XP Refugee »

VERY bothersome, after slugging it out with LxPup (15.06) and getting a new one up then updating firefox and palemoon, NEITHER ONE can see Messenger on FB. I'm on an old Acer Netbook running XP with 2 gig of ram. At one point I had Mint on here but wiped it because no one could tell me how to get the color away from red/pink. Might have to go back and suffer no color control just to put an OS on here that has a browser that "works on all sites". Makes me wonder if there's a chat client that would work on this old pup that my gf can put on her Samsung Note 4.
An aside, I had one LxPup self destruct on a USB stick, rather the stick must have, went to read it and found half of contents were gone. A couple others I had, had um...issues so I went to building one from scratch again. Was about to ask where Palemoon hides user profile settings when I found Messenger displays as a blank page (saying Done). Of course both work on the new lappie running Windows 10 (which they informed me the other day is a SERVICE, ominous forboding filled me).

greengeek

Re: browser not keeping up with web

#600 Post by greengeek »

XP Refugee wrote: An aside, I had one LxPup self destruct on a USB stick, rather the stick must have, went to read it and found half of contents were gone. A couple others I had, had um...issues so I went to building one from scratch again. .
Do you still have that stick? I'm always keen to hear which brands self-destruct or give strange errors. I have bought sticks that had only half the actual memory size they stated - they have "hacked controllers" that report incorrect RAM size and simply overwrite and corrupt data.

Trouble is you often don't discover the overflow and overwrite situation till weeks later.

Wherever possible we should try to identify such devices.

XP Refugee

#601 Post by XP Refugee »

eh, it was an old HP 16 gig someone gave me. Not so surprising I guess. I DID usta think they'd last forever, unlike tape where the coating wears off with each use and such.

Walter Dnes

Pale Moon 28 beta works on Puppy 7.x

#602 Post by Walter Dnes »

Having gotten PM 28 beta building on CentOS 7.2 and working, I did some informal testing on various Puppy versions. On 6.3 and earlier Puppies, Pale Moon errored out about /usr/lib/stdc++.so.6 not having GLIBCXX 3.4.20. I assume this is due to the stdcxx-compat hack being depracated. On Slacko 7.0 (actually 6.9.9.9) and Xenial 7.0.6, Pale Moon works fine in the limited testing I did.

At Puppy 7.x, you're looking at 768 megs to a gigabyte of ram suggested for the Puppy OS to run comfortably. The 512 megabyte minimum ram size for Pale Moon should not be an issue if you're running Puppy 7.x (Xenial?) in the first place. SSE2 support will be required. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p142274 Note UXP == "Unified XUL Platform", which is Pale Moon's fork of Mozilla's XUL.

watchdog

#603 Post by watchdog »

I have tested working palemoon 28.0.0b2 in tahr64 6.0.6 and slacko64 6.3.2 which are the early 64 bit puppies I know.
Attachments
screenshot1.png
(155.27 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times

darry19662018

Re: Pale Moon 28 beta works on Puppy 7.x

#604 Post by darry19662018 »

Walter Dnes wrote:Having gotten PM 28 beta building on CentOS 7.2 and working, I did some informal testing on various Puppy versions. On 6.3 and earlier Puppies, Pale Moon errored out about /usr/lib/stdc++.so.6 not having GLIBCXX 3.4.20. I assume this is due to the stdcxx-compat hack being depracated. On Slacko 7.0 (actually 6.9.9.9) and Xenial 7.0.6, Pale Moon works fine in the limited testing I did.

At Puppy 7.x, you're looking at 768 megs to a gigabyte of ram suggested for the Puppy OS to run comfortably. The 512 megabyte minimum ram size for Pale Moon should not be an issue if you're running Puppy 7.x (Xenial?) in the first place. SSE2 support will be required. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p142274 Note UXP == "Unified XUL Platform", which is Pale Moon's fork of Mozilla's XUL.
I'll stick with 27 series - 512 meg ram thats pretty bad.

Walter Dnes

#605 Post by Walter Dnes »

watchdog wrote:I have tested working palemoon 28.0.0b2 in tahr64 6.0.6 and slacko64 6.3.2 which are the early 64 bit puppies I know.
Interesting; 32-bit 6.3.2 doesn't work for me with PM28 beta. Please do me a favour;
  • Open a new tab in PM28
  • Go to URL "about:buildconfig" (without the quotes)
  • As text, copy+paste the the output, and post it here
I know that the output looks like gobbledegook, but it does make sense. I want to dig into this deeper, and check where my 32-bit test build differs from the 64-bit build. And hopefully get a 32-bit build that works under Slacko 6.3.2