palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
bigpup

#706 Post by bigpup »

For anyone using the newest version of Palemoon.
Make sure you are using the latest version.
v28.0.1 (2018-08-31)
This is a bugfix point release to address serious performance bottlenecks and general run-time issues (UI slowness, crashes, hangs) with the browser. Once again this impacted 32-bit operating systems more severely than 64-bit ones due to its more limited address space that would get flooded with bogus data.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

a_salty_dogg

#707 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Still suffering the same Youtube problem/bug with 28.0.1 as I was with 28.0.0;
If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device
Easily fixed by clicking twice on the pause/play button, then the video starts, but still xxxxing annoying!

Am I alone in getting this? Happens with the first instance of trying to play a Youtube video in every session on every Puppy I've updated to 28.
Attachments
capture4397.png
(11.18 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times

Sylvander

#708 Post by Sylvander »

a_salty_dogg wrote:Am I alone in getting this?
I had no problem playing videos with 28.0.0.
Neither am I having any problem with 28.0.1.
Running on Slacko-5.7.0-pae.

I tell a lie...
I think it was when running 28.0.0...
After playing a certain number of videos [in each new session], they would no longer play.
I don't get that in 28.0.1.

When it happened, I would copy and paste the URL into Slimjet, and run it there.

Walter Dnes

#709 Post by Walter Dnes »

a_salty_dogg wrote:Still suffering the same Youtube problem/bug with 28.0.1 as I was with 28.0.0;
If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device
Easily fixed by clicking twice on the pause/play button, then the video starts, but still xxxxing annoying!

Am I alone in getting this? Happens with the first instance of trying to play a Youtube video in every session on every Puppy I've updated to 28.
Do you have media.autoplay.enabled set to false? This toggle is a tradeoff...
  • if set "false", annoying HTML5 ads won't autoplay, but Youtube will need extra clicks
  • if set "true", annoying HTML5 ads will autoplay, and Youtube will also autoplay
A possible solution is to have a separate profile for viewing Youtube, versus regular browsing.

Terry H

#710 Post by Terry H »

New release out today:

Pale Moon 28.1.0 has been released. This is a development release focusing on performance, bugfixes and security. More information in the release notes!
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

a_salty_dogg

#711 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Walter Dnes wrote: Do you have media.autoplay.enabled set to false?
Yes many thanks Walter; in the meantime I'd discovered for myself that this config setting is what causes the problem.
I really ought to have returned here straight away to report I'd tracked it down, sorry :oops:

I changed this setting deliberately in all my browsers a very long time ago to prevent intrusive video ads on sites from auto-starting, as your bullet-point says.

Has never before affected the playing of Youtube videos in any browser, including in Palemoon prior to v28, though.

watchdog

Tab Mix Plus 0.5.5.0

#712 Post by watchdog »

In an effort to use bionicpup64 on my poor hardware I was searching for a way of customizing palemoon when opening many tabs at a time: I wanted to prevent the loading of tabs until selected because I have the fiber but opening multiple tabs slow-downs the internet surfing. Opening the tabs when selected solves my problem and make bionicpup64 quite usable on my poor hardware. I have discovered an add-on which makes possible an extreme customization of tabs behaviour:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/

I suggest it to you for using newer puppies with poor hardwares.

orrin

#713 Post by orrin »

Running Slacko 64-6.3.2

I downloaded a copy of Palemoon from the Puppy package manager. I did not like it so I unloaded using the Package manager.

Now my 'save-file' is somewhat larger. Apparently some Palemoon files were left behind.

Where would the program have been stored so that I can track down the 'extra' files?

NEW INFORMATION......
I just discovered that Palemoon did NOT unload with the package manager.
It's still there and still runs.... HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

a_salty_dogg

#714 Post by a_salty_dogg »

deleted

bigpup

#715 Post by bigpup »

HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?
See if there is a Palemoon directory in /opt
If yes.
Delete it.

Do a search in Pfind for palemoon.
Delete anything it finds.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#716 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ orrin:-

Nice to see you're still around..!

Need to delete the following:-

/opt/palemoon
/root/.moonchild productions
/root/.cache/moonchild productions

Also /usr/share/applications (and see if there's a 'palemoon.desktop' file). Delete this, then run

Code: Select all

fixmenus
...in the terminal, followed by re-starting 'X'. This will remove the Menu entry for Palemoon. Also /usr/share/pixmaps, too, and delete the Palemoon icon (if there is one).

Please heed bigpup's advice. After you've removed those, run pFind, and see if there's anything else showing. It should all be gone by now, but.....you never know.

----------------------------------

Anytime you un-install a browser (whether automatically or manually), cache & config files always get left behind. Simple reason is that these are not part of the 'installed' package; they're always created at first run of the browser, so the PPM isn't looking for them. It will only remove what was actually installed.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

jss83

Download Progress button bugs out..

#717 Post by jss83 »

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but after downloading couple of files and opening them, the button with the "↓" symbol stops working and then I have to open "Tools>Downloads" window to keep track of what's downloading and/or to open the files, which is very annoying.

Mike Walsh

#718 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

For a staunch Chrome man (and increasingly enthusiastic Quantum user), I find I'm playing around with PaleMoon more and more these days. I'm posting this from the current Palemoon 28.1.0 in good old Slacko 560. Yes, I know; technically, it shouldn't be possible.....but I have battleshooter's 'glibc-220-upgrade' running in many of my older Pups. Works, well, too.

I have to confess to being seriously impressed with how smooth this thing is, how fast, and what a light 'pawprint' it has. Does everything I ask of it, with the exception of NetFlix, of course.....but then I have NetFlix running as a desktop 'app' from its Chrome 48 'backend', so that takes care of that..!

For a general browser, it takes some beating. I can see why y'all sing its praises....

-----------------------------------------

I know it's available through the PPM (even says so on the PaleMoon download page....whooo!), but for anybody who wants 'em, here's a couple of .pet packages for Palemoon 28.1.0. 32- and 64-bit are both available.

Navigate through and help yourselves as usual.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike Walsh

#719 Post by Mike Walsh »

Now, then; here's a curious one. (Or perhaps somebody has a ready-made answer to this one).

PaleMoon 28.1.0 runs fine in Racy 5.5.....whether using my own package (the glibc 2.20 is already installed in the system), or using watchdog's 'glibc-219-tweak' version (which uses its own, self-contained glibc).

Here's the weird part. YouTube runs as smooth as so much oiled silk. Vids playback with no problem at all....okay?

However.....

I regularly listen to music on Radiotunes.com. I have a basic a/c with them which lets me listen to non-stop, ad-free music (without an a/c, you're interrupted every 15 mins with 5 mins of advertising!)

Radiotunes will allow you to use a .pls stream that will play through any media player. I'm using jlst's MPV (originally compiled for Precise, but then a lot of 'Precise' stuff seems to be compatible with Racy). This set-up, playing the .pls stream through MPV, works really well.

If, however, you want to listen in the browser itself, then it's got to be via Flashplayer. No other options are offered; it's Flash or nothing.

Needless to say, the latest version of Flashplayer (31.0.0.108) is available in the correct location for any Mozilla-based browser to find, and use.

Here's the rub. Trying to play music on Radiotunes' website (https://www.radiotunes.com) results in the following banner at the top of the window:-

"Oops, it appears your browser does not support playback of mp3 & m4a audio files necessary to use our service. Please consider trying a different browser for the best playback experience."

Which is friggin' peculiar, considering this same browser plays back on this same site with no issues in every other Pup in t'kennels..!

(Incidentally, I also have watchdog's FF45.9 esr (with glibc 'tweak') running in Racy. It, too, displays the same error message on the Radiotunes site. Coincidence...?

Chrome, of course, plays back w/out issue.... YouTube, obviously, is HTML5, and has been for some time now. PaleMoon (and FF45.9 esr) both have no problems here. It's just Flashplayer, seemingly.)

This isn't a 'deal-breaker', given that I can make use of the site's .pls stream. But it is somewhat frustrating.

Anyone have any 'insights' that might help with this one?

Terry H

#720 Post by Terry H »

Mike Walsh wrote: Here's the rub. Trying to play music on Radiotunes' website (https://www.radiotunes.com) results in the following banner at the top of the window:-

"Oops, it appears your browser does not support playback of mp3 & m4a audio files necessary to use our service. Please consider trying a different browser for the best playback experience."
Currently in Stretch 7.5, I am running Palemoon 28.1.0. Never used Radiotunes before. I clicked your link and selected the Classic Rock item, had a listen to Led Zeppelin - Going to California, no messages displayed. Flashplayer is installed.

I've mainly been using Palemoon for the last little while, runs well and seems to have the least issues currently for me. I've recently customized a start.me home page.

Edit: just created a free account. So thanks Mike.

orrin

#721 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ orrin:-
/opt/palemoon
/root/.moonchild productions
/root/.cache/moonchild productions

Also /usr/share/applications (and see if there's a 'palemoon.desktop' file). Delete this, then run

fixmenus
...in the terminal, followed by re-starting 'X'. This will remove the Menu entry for Palemoon. Also /usr/share/pixmaps, too, and delete the Palemoon icon (if there is one).

Please heed bigpup's advice. After you've removed those, run pFind, and see if there's anything else showing. It should all be gone by now, but.....you never know.

----------------------------------

Thanks for the response! I remembered the 'whereis' command and it
found the symlink and the directory it pointed to. Deleted those!

Your noted directories had left over files and many more were found with pfind (with a lower case F).

Thanks again for your help!
Last edited by orrin on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

watchdog

#722 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Needless to say, the latest version of Flashplayer (31.0.0.108) is available in the correct location for any Mozilla-based browser to find, and use.

Here's the rub. Trying to play music on Radiotunes' website (https://www.radiotunes.com) results in the following banner at the top of the window:-

Try an older version of flashplayer plugin. I think that the latest version will not work with old libraries because of "system requirements".

Mike Walsh

#723 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, watchdog.

An older version, huh? Hm. That doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest. Kinda makes sense, in a way.....I've only noticed this problem with Mozilla-based browsers in recent months.

I wish they were as predictable as Chrome, with PepperFlash. I run an ancient version of Chrome (26!!!) in Lucid. Won't run a newer version.

That creaky old browser is as happy as a sandboy with the very newest PepperFlash. It's also happy with very old versions. Doesn't complain at all. The Mozilla browsers, on the other hand, complain like holy hell if Flashplayer isn't bang up to-date.....even in relatively old Pups.

(*sheesh*)

How far back d'you reckon I should go? I can have my choice of every version Adobe ever built, y'know... What should I make the cut-off point? Back to good old 11.2.202.644.....or the first of the 'modern' Linux Flashplayers (around 24/25?)

watchdog

#724 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote:
How far back d'you reckon I should go? I can have my choice of every version Adobe ever built, y'know... What should I make the cut-off point? Back to good old 11.2.202.644.....or the first of the 'modern' Linux Flashplayers (around 24/25?)
I don't know. Try first 11.2.202.644. Then 24/25. I do not install flashplayer anymore. Rerwin already noticed that problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 670#970670

Mike Walsh

#725 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've given up trying to get Flash working in Palemoon 28.1.0 in Racy. Nothing seems to work. And since I only use it for that one site (Radiotunes.com) - and I already have a solution for it - I can live with it.

Just made an interesting discovery. I use the final Linux version of Adobe Reader for PDF files. Apparently, using this also gives me a plugin for all Mozilla-based browsers. When I want to view PDFs in the browser, it automatically opens in Adobe Reader.....but in the browser, rather than the desktop app. Which is neat.

All you have to do is go into the Adobe directory in /opt, locate the /Reader 9/Browser directory, and click on the

install_browser_plugin
...shell script. This uses wget to download the nppdf.so module from Adobe (it's still available), and puts it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for you.

It works with any Gecko-based browser; I just found this out in Palemoon a few minutes ago.

Nice one!

Anybody interested in Adobe's Reader 9 for PDFs, you can find .pet or SFS at my Mediafire a/c, here.

These will work in 64-bit Pups, too, if you have the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS loaded.