Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 01:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 51 of 58 [859 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr 2019, 21:39    Post subject:  

As a matter of interest. The other day I ripped the builtin Palemoon 27.6.1 from Xenial 7.0.5 to work with Precise 571 which has gclib2.15. Very fast and everything works.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jun 2019, 17:06    Post subject:  

Does anyone know of a Glibc pet that is standalone please? (ie not included as part of a browser or other software).

I would like to trial it on Slacko 5.6 to see if it enables me to run some newer software. cheers!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jun 2019, 18:51    Post subject:  

@ GG:-

Ian:-

Take a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=806989

I've been using this 'upgrade' in every Puppy older than Tahrpup for some time now....including 560. There's no 'issues' attached to it at all, and it's entirely successful.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure you were asking about this a while back.....and I'm equally as certain I answered you in this same vein. However, if my memory's getting 'flaky', I'm still willing to help with this.

The links in the thread don't work. We all know meownplanet went tits-up some time ago, though fortunately, russoodle was able to recover a lot of folk's stuff that was hosted there. That included these items by battleshooter.

The recovered files are somewhat jumbled-up; due, so I understand, to the fact that russoodle had to grab as much stuff as possible while it was still accessible.....so ordering everything wasn't a priority at that point in time.

-----------------------------------------

So; to save searching through the whole list for each individual item - there's 5 (sorry, 6) separate .pets, and they have to be installed in a specific order - I put them all together in an archive. You can find the tarball at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1l2xk1q4ttest9j/Glibc-220_upgrade.tar.bz2/file

Unzip it, and install the .pets in this order:-

1.) Install the 3 .pets in the 'GCC deps' folder first. The order for these 3 doesn't matter.....but the install order for the remaining 3 very decidedly does.

2.) Next, binutils.

3.) Then, glibc-2.20.

4.) And finally, the gcc .pet.

It needs doing in that order; the GCC compiler requires the glibc upgrade to be installed first, since the compiler itself has been built against that version.....and if it isn't already in place, it seems the compiler won't install correctly.

(*shrug*)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It can't be packed as an SFS, or an all-in-one .pet package. Battleshooter and mikeslr discussed that in the original thread, reaching the conclusion that it wouldn't work because certain bits have to be installed before others IF the whole lot are to work correctly. A .pet tries to install everything at the same time; so does an SFS.....and system stuff always takes priority over anything 'installed' via SFS.

So I don't quite know how you're going to get around that one with your set-up.....unless you're planning to do a new re-master with this stuff included.

Let me know what happens, please. Smile

Mike. Wink

jrb

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jun 2019, 19:58    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ GG:-.....and system stuff always takes priority over anything 'installed' via SFS.

With the exception of the adrv. Copy the .pet contents in order into the adrv.sfs and it might work. I haven't tried it but it should work.

Good Luck, J
phat7

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jun 2019, 21:50    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ GG:-

Ian:-

Take a look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=806989

I've been using this 'upgrade' in every Puppy older than Tahrpup for some time now....including 560. There's no 'issues' attached to it at all, and it's entirely successful.

As a total noob I don't understand what this Glibc is. Why and when would i need it?
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun 2019, 01:48    Post subject:  

phat7 wrote:
As a total noob I don't understand what this Glibc is. Why and when would i need it?
It is most likely something that you will never need.

Glibc comes in different versions - each pup has a specific version and it is part of the "engine room" of that puppy - it helps puppy run various programs and utilities.

However - sometimes you may want to try running a very new program on an "outdated" Puppy and it just might not run because it was compiled against a newer Glibc library. - that is when a Glibc upgrade may be valuable as it can help your puppy access programs specifically compiled to run on newer Puppies.

However - there is a strong risk that this sort of upgrade can stop your puppy from working properly so it is always "use at own risk"

In this case I posted my query here because I knew that some newer browsers (like Palemoon) have been made to run on older pups by the technique of adding in a "glibc tweak" and I hoped I could adapt the technique to getting a different (non-browser) utility running on my outdated Slacko 5.6

(The utility I want to get running is BK's Easydd which seems to need Glibc 2.17).

Sorry to introduce any confusion into the thread.

Mike Walsh wrote:
Y'know, I'm pretty sure you were asking about this a while back.....and I'm equally as certain I answered you in this same vein. However, if my memory's getting 'flaky', I'm still willing to help with this.
Thanks Mike. Pretty sure it's not your memory getting flaky - i'm feeling decidedly pre-senile these days Confused I suspect if you did point me to this method previously it must have made my sphincter turn 7 shades of pale and I probably choked on my Horlicks and decided not to risk it.

It looks scary - and you're right - the lack of savefile might be a barrier.

Having now seen the extent of battleshooter's notes I am hoping there is another approach: Rather than a full blown Glibc transplant I am hoping to understand more about watchdog's methods of doing a "PRELOAD" which seems to be a method for getting a program to look at the new libs (or glibc) in a special place before looking at the normal locations (and coming up with the old incompatible libs).

If I can get this method to work with Easydd than I can get it to run in a pristine Slacko 5.6

Maybe what he has done for Palemoon I can copy for Easydd.

I guess that you were able to get Easydd running in your Slacko56 because you have the new Glibc already grafted in. I don't really want to take that risk because I don't know what a newer glibc might do to the countless other utilities I load as pets (mostly all old stuff).
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun 2019, 02:44    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Let me know what happens, please. Smile
Hi Mike - many thanks. I followed the steps as directed (except GCC compiler load which i don't think i need) and bingo. Much joy...!!
I have replied in more depth in the easydd thread.

muchos grassyarse!
Razz Exclamation Exclamation
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 02:45    Post subject: I need LASTPASS
Subject description: fantastic if...

I like a lot this browser.
I started to use it in my "windows times" (years ago) and I wanna continue using it with my puppy but ...

I NEED LASTPASS and it doesn't work for palemoon.

have a nice day.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 07:42    Post subject: Re: I need LASTPASS
Subject description: fantastic if...

pp4mnklinux wrote:
I like a lot this browser.
I started to use it in my "windows times" (years ago) and I wanna continue using it with my puppy but ...

I NEED LASTPASS and it doesn't work for palemoon.

have a nice day.

Yes, it does. I have it working in the latest Palemoon, 28.5.2. Only snag is, it's a slightly older version.....but it still works.

You need the 'archive' with all the pre-WebAPI extensions that Phil B. found. Then, install it from that.

Actually, if all you want is LastPass, I've got the LastPass manager as a separate .xpi file. This is the most recent version that'll work with Palemoon - 4.1.67, I believe.

Download it from here:-

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/f07f2812

Open Palemoon. Go into Menu->Addons. Look up the top for the wee box with the 'gear-cog'/crossed spanners? Click to open the 'drop-down'; this will give you the option to 'Install Add-on From File...'

Just follow the instructions; it'll walk you through it. Hope that helps.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 12:40    Post subject: Lastpass for palemoon 64-bit  

Hi pp4mnklinux & Mike Walsh,

Even after installing ca-archive-2.0.1.xpi palemoon 27.6.1 (64-bit) did not allow the 4.1.67 version of lastpass to install per the above instructions. Complained about it being an xpi file.

As I also wanted lastpass, this is what I did:

First installed ca-archive-2.0.1.xpi from, https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases. An Icon appeared on Palemoon's Toolbar. Clicked the icon which apparently configured it and setup a database. Clicking the icon again opened a GUI with a search box. Typed lastpass into the search box. Several version of lastpass appeared including 4.1.67. Next to it and other series 4 offerings was a "Download" button. Downloaded and attempted to install via Palemoon's installer using your instructions but received the same message. So, I skipped down to version 3.3.4 which, rather than a Download button, had an "Install Now" button.

Lastpass 3.3.4 installed and, when logging in to post this replay it offered to use my user-name and password stored with lastpass (which I hadn't done).

Considering the age of the 3.3.4 version I doubt that I'll use it. Might try the Universal installer from here, https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php --maybe they really understand the meaning of Universal-- or just use Google-Chrome or firefox quantum when I actually want to log in to a site other than this Forum.

Warning: Just tried to uninstall lastpass 3.3.4 and discovered there's no listing of it under Palemoon's Addons. In short, I'm stuck with it unless I choose to delete and recreate my palemoon portable folder. Well, maybe there's a way to manually delete it. But, I don't know how.

Ignore the Warning: Very Happy Just restarted Palemoon and lastpass 3.3.4 does have its own listing under addons.
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 17:12    Post subject: TESTING  

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Trying to do it.- CU

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 08:06    Post subject:  

Apologies, Mike. My bad.

I remember now, I downloaded 4.1.67 before checking which versions of FF & 'clones' it worked with. FF 38 onwards.....

Current Palemoon is based around FF28, the very last release before the Australis interface came in, when the tabs'n'stuff went all swoopy and rounded. You're quite right; I do have 3.3.4 myself. I don't know why I never thought to check it last night before giving advice!

PS:- I don't worry about using an older version. All my regular sites have long, randomized passwords, the master password is even more so, and my on-line 'persona' isn't even remotely related to my real-life one, anyway.. If anybody really is desperate enough (and 'anal' enough) to want to crack that lot, let 'em get on with it...

(Just waiting now for rufwoof to find this, and to launch into a diatribe about identity theft..!)

Ooh, I'm evil, aren't I? Laughing Laughing

I use a small utility from the PortableApps,com site, running under WINE - PWGen. With this, you can make your passwords as long and complex as you like; I regularly use 20+ randomized characters in passwords, though if I'm feeling lazy, I'll let LastPass do it for me..... Smile

https://portableapps.com/apps/security/pwgen-portable

--------------------------

@ pp4mnklinux:-

Follow Mike's advice. You want the whole archive of pre-WebAPI stuff, as linked to above. Sorry for misleading you.... Embarassed

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:35    Post subject: Old Lastpass for Palemoon  

Hi pp4mnklinux & Mike,

Thanks, Mike for mentioning PWGen and your assurance regarding Lastpass 3.3.4. I downloaded the portable version of PWGen from portableApps, https://portableapps.com/apps/security/pwgen-portable. I like the idea of using an application other than Lastpass to create passwords. "Confusion to One's Enemies." Laughing

Lastpass 3.3.4 seems to be working well. The attached screenshot shows the Orange ca-archive Tool. Clicking it opens a tab to ca-archive and displays its Search Box. Next to it is Lastpass's 3-dots. Clicking that opens a GUI to setup a LastPass account. I previously mentioned that I haven't yet set it up. Well, that isn't entirely correct. I did on a different computer and stored my master password there (buried among thousands of files) but have neither applied it to any site nor ported to this computer. Will have to actually figure out how to put Lastpass to use. Perhaps for a website such as this Forum where I remember my password so it won't matter if I screw-up using Lastpass. [The first few times you undertake a procedure is always the most confusing. Eventually, the procedure becomes routine.] Smile

Clicking on any of a sites' mechanisms that would otherwise present an offer to open a new tab or window now also offers to login or use Lastpass.
Lastpass 3.3.4.png
 Description   Lastpass under Palemoon64- 27.6.1 via the ca-archive Tool
 Filesize   60.59 KB
 Viewed   326 Time(s)

Lastpass 3.3.4.png

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug 2019, 21:13    Post subject:  

A Pale Moon add-on you may want to have.

Pale Moon Commander
http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pm-commander/

Pale Moon Commander is an extension designed for the Pale Moon web browser. It is a configurator, meaning it will provide a user-friendly interface to advanced preferences that would otherwise require manual editing of parameters, which can be cumbersome and time-consuming to do.

About add-ons in general.
This is the best place to start looking.
http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug 2019, 21:31    Post subject:  

With people all over the world using Pale Moon.

This is an add-on you may want to be using.

Zombie Keys
http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/zombiekeys/

Page 51 of 58 [859 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: