Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 53 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 Next
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2019, 15:15    Post subject: Using palemoon 28.6 while booted to Lupu2016  

I made a 1GB partition and installed wary 5.5 to it 'full'. Though I clicked on wary save file to install, it did not include any of the changes I had made.

I downloaded and installed libdbus and libdbus-glib then the tweaked palemoon 28.6.1, which works.

I attempted to chroot to this full installation from the frugal wary
chroot /mnt/sda8 /bin/bash. Start without X, then xwin, and some things work but palemoon and seamonkey do not. /proc/mount is gone, as is most of the stuff in lower right part of X screen. Same from lupu.
'exit' to get out of chroot. The prompts look different.

I then copied the lupu modules 2.6.33.2 to the full wary and booted wary with the lupu2016 kernel and it did not boot (stayed on black screen).

Wary kernel does not work with fbcon, lupu does. Wary kernel is 2.6.32.59.

In another discussion someone explained how to replace your kernel with something newer so I will try that next. I was told you cannot replace a kernel with something older.

I do not want to use regular wary because of no fbcon. Perhaps quirky or racy will work with my nouveau video.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 08:31    Post subject:  

Afternoon, all.

Just a wee bit of information, FWIW. With the recent 'upgrade' from 28.6.0 to 28.7.0, current Palemoon is no longer a viable option for Racy 5.5 any more.

We're back to the old '...XpCom glue_load error...', along with a 'g_bytes_unref' segfault. Quite possibly due to the major overhaul they appear to have done on the JavaScript 'engine'.....but that's way out of my league. Which means this is now in the same 'problematic' territory as Quantum itself, which I gave up on trying to get running in Racy some time ago. (Actually, I'm posting from FF68esr in Racy right now, but since it's coming from a chroot 'jail', shared between 3 vintage Puppies, technically that's 'cheating'....) Laughing

So, it's back to good old reliable Palemoon_SSE 27.9.4 again.....

Just thought I'd let y'all know.

----------------------

EDIT:- It also appears that Google have 'upgraded' YouTube requirements yet again, because 27.9.4 (at least, for me, that is) no longer plays YouTube vids! Rolling Eyes 'Your browser does not meet the requirements...', etc., etc.

----------------------------

All of which means that if you want to watch YT in Racy 5.5, you're now looking at watchdog's glibc_219 'tweaked' version of Firefox 45esr; either his .pet package, or my 'portable' version I concocted from it.

Sorry, Palemoon fans!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 09:29; edited 5 times in total
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 08:55    Post subject: Re: Using palemoon 28.6 while booted to Lupu2016  

sindi wrote:
I made a 1GB partition and installed wary 5.5 to it 'full'. Though I clicked on wary save file to install, it did not include any of the changes I had made.

I downloaded and installed libdbus and libdbus-glib then the tweaked palemoon 28.6.1, which works.

I attempted to chroot to this full installation from the frugal wary
chroot /mnt/sda8 /bin/bash. Start without X, then xwin, and some things work but palemoon and seamonkey do not. /proc/mount is gone, as is most of the stuff in lower right part of X screen. Same from lupu.
'exit' to get out of chroot. The prompts look different.

I then copied the lupu modules 2.6.33.2 to the full wary and booted wary with the lupu2016 kernel and it did not boot (stayed on black screen).

Wary kernel does not work with fbcon, lupu does. Wary kernel is 2.6.32.59.

In another discussion someone explained how to replace your kernel with something newer so I will try that next. I was told you cannot replace a kernel with something older.

I do not want to use regular wary because of no fbcon. Perhaps quirky or racy will work with my nouveau video.

I would go with Precise5.7.1 with the Tahr605 kernel. Very good "crossover" between old and newer hardware and you can run the latest browsers. Otherwise just use Tahr 605 if your machine is not totally ancient.
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 15:19    Post subject: palemoon-28.7.0 and wary  

I have found a way to run palemoon 28.7.0 in wary. Experimental, caution! Install:

1- palemoon-28.7.0-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JaFx6tUa4znXipJqAzrsbTjDMt2xrZtF/view?usp=sharing

2- libffi-jessie.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035941#1035941

3- glib-2.32.0-i486.pet (I hacked configure script to compile in wary):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FyqDj0fiTW3UxL77vxwsP-SHQnFlucrZ/view?usp=sharing

4- glib_DEV-2.32.0-i486.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gG-B3PZzeowacRuMEdyJ764BaVLm5--w/view?usp=sharing

Posting now from wary and experimental glib compiling using palemoon 28.7.0.

In order to compile glib I used libffi from jessie.

EDIT: added the libffi install which shows to be needed.

EDIT: palemoon-28.7.1-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pv7VlGgk9_k0hYamc2mtRoSTVSz8qK3i/view?usp=sharing

The glib upgrade is no longer required.

Last edited by watchdog on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 01:21; edited 3 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 17:58    Post subject:  

Hello, watchdog.

Mm. Interesting....

I've been doing a wee bit of research into this 'XpComGlueLoad error' stuff. I've just found an article (from a few years back, it's true) where the author found that chmodding the browser directory, followed by upgrading libdbus-glib apparently fixed the problem.

http://el.web.id/how-to-solve-xpcomglueload-error-couldnt-load-xpcom-mozilla-firefox-debian-149

How relevant it is to this, I don't know. Anyway.....

Now; I know Racy is often referred to as 'Wary on steroids', so anything that works in Wary should, in theory, work in Racy, too....yes?

I don't think I'd need the 'tweaked' 28.7.0, for the simple reason that I already have battleshooter's 'glibc-2.20 upgrade' he put together for folks who wanted Chrome in Carolina/Racy/Saluki.

If I might ask, what are the second and third .pets doing in this context? What, exactly, is being installed here? (I'm just trying to understand the mechanism for future reference, y'see; it's bound to crop up again at some point, somewhere..!) Laughing Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 18:30    Post subject:  

@ watchdog:-

Huh. Curious...

I've downloaded your other 2 pets, and I've just been having a look at them in detail (hope you don't mind).

I notice, in the glib-DEV .pet, that in /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib there's an entry for 'gbytes.h'. I can't help wondering if that's in any way related to to the

Code:
'gbytes_unref'

....error that keeps cropping up with this Mozilla stuff in Racy? I bet there's some connection, y'know....

Let's see what happens, shall we? I'll let you know what the outcome is, mate.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 23:25    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

I don't think I'd need the 'tweaked' 28.7.0, for the simple reason that I already have battleshooter's 'glibc-2.20 upgrade' he put together for folks who wanted Chrome in Carolina/Racy/Saluki.

I agree. Try to install only the glib upgrade.

Quote:
If I might ask, what are the second and third .pets doing in this context? What, exactly, is being installed here? (I'm just trying to understand the mechanism for future reference, y'see; it's bound to crop up again at some point, somewhere..!)

The development glib upgrade is optional. The glib upgrade is required to solve a symbol error starting palemoon 28.7.0: that symbol was used starting with glib 2.32. I have used libstdc++.so.6 from xenial in the glibc219tweaked palemoon. I am wondering if the way of glib upgrading can solve the issue of a modern working palemoon also in lucid.
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 02:00    Post subject: Re: palemoon-28.7.0 and wary  

watchdog wrote:
I have found a way to run palemoon 28.7.0 in wary. Experimental, caution! Install:

<cut>

In order to compile glib I used libffi from jessie. Not sure if needed to run palemoon.

If libffi is required then install this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K8VClWXrtZhfHB-fusR7Cbph59QuWAQE/view?usp=sharing
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 02:02    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I am wondering if the way of glib upgrading can solve the issue of a modern working palemoon also in lucid.

I have compiled glib 2.32.0 in lucid but it breaks jwm and palemoon does not start with a pixbuf error.
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 02:14    Post subject:  

Hi, Watchdog. I've tried your Palemoon version with Racy a time ago and it worked well. I did have some copy/paste issues though, is this a known issue?
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 03:25    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Hi, Watchdog. I've tried your Palemoon version with Racy a time ago and it worked well. I did have some copy/paste issues though, is this a known issue?

I have had some palemoon's context menu issues with later puppies with intel graphics. There is a fix setting "uxa" acceleration method by radky. But I have not experimented any issue in wary.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 08:14    Post subject:  

Well, I said I'd let you know the outcome. Installing the two glib .pets have done the trick in Racy. Palemoon 28.7.0 fires up and runs nicely again. However; any attempt to watch a video in YouTube now results in Palemoon crashing out, sooo..... What d'you think, mi amigo? Any ideas?

I'm no expert with browsers, despite re-packaging so many of them! While they work, that'll do me. When they start playing up, then I start to get out of my depth.....although I know the Mozilla-based browsers are more amenable to 'tinkering' than the Chromium-based ones.

So; here we go. Again... Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

HerrBert

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 10:32    Post subject:  

Just want to let you know:

I've updated my palemoon today from 28.6.1 to 28.7.0 on slacko-6.3.2 32bit and end up with:
Code:
# palemoon
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /opt/palemoon/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
#
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 14:37    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

Well, I said I'd let you know the outcome. Installing the two glib .pets have done the trick in Racy. Palemoon 28.7.0 fires up and runs nicely again. However; any attempt to watch a video in YouTube now results in Palemoon crashing out, sooo..... What d'you think, mi amigo? Any ideas?

I can watch youtube videos in wary 5.5 and my glibc219tweaked palemoon. Try my recipe in a live session (install dbus and dbus-glib) without the glibc upgrade.
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 14:40    Post subject:  

HerrBert wrote:

Code:
# palemoon
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /opt/palemoon/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
#

Copy in /root libstdc++.so.6 from my glibc219tweaked palemoon pet or from the main sfs of xenialpup and try:

Code:
export LD_PRELOAD=/root/libstdc++.so.6
palemoon

EDIT: tried but glibc 2.18 is required. Install only my palemoon-28.7.0-glibc219tweak.pet. It works in slacko 6.3.2: posting now from it.
Page 53 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: