Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Oct 2019, 13:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 54 of 57 [855 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 22:01    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
@ watchdog:-

Well, I said I'd let you know the outcome. Installing the two glib .pets have done the trick in Racy. Palemoon 28.7.0 fires up and runs nicely again. However; any attempt to watch a video in YouTube now results in Palemoon crashing out, sooo..... What d'you think, mi amigo? Any ideas?

I can watch youtube videos in wary 5.5 and my glibc219tweaked palemoon. Try my recipe in a live session (install dbus and dbus-glib) without the glibc upgrade.

I think I'll do that. Tomorrow, I'll fire Racy up without save-file (pfix=ram, etc.), run it as a live session, and use just your packages......see what happens, like. I'll be honest, I've installed/uninstalled/modified/messed-about with Racy so much this last couple of years, there has to be odd stuff hanging around in there that's causing conflicts, sooo.....a clean run, I think, really is needed to try this out properly.

I'll report back later tomorrow.

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2019, 23:02    Post subject:  

I didn't try this newest Palemoon with Racy but Watchdog's version 28.6.1 works well.
watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 04:08    Post subject:  

I am in precise using palemoon 28.7.0.

Code:
# defaultbrowser
/mnt/sda1/ppalemoon28_32/palemoon: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /mnt/sda1/ppalemoon28_32/palemoon)

The new 28.7.0 palemoon does not work in any puppy with glibc < 2.17. Precise has glibc 2.15. Updated libstdc++.so.6 is also required: I have found that the one from xenialpup is suitable. The glibctweaked version of palemoon is required. Download from post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035893#1035893

The glib upgrade is required only in wary.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 04:49    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I am in precise using palemoon 28.7.0.

Code:
# defaultbrowser
/mnt/sda1/ppalemoon28_32/palemoon: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /mnt/sda1/ppalemoon28_32/palemoon)

The new 28.7.0 palemoon does not work in any puppy with glibc < 2.17. Precise has glibc 2.15. Updated libstdc++.so.6 is also required: I have found that the one from xenialpup is suitable. The glibctweaked version of palemoon is required. Download from post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035893#1035893

The glib upgrade is required only in wary.

Just to be clear - Racy does not need the glib upgrade as well like wary does?
watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 05:35    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:

Just to be clear - Racy does not need the glib upgrade as well like wary does?

Yes, racy needs the glib upgrade as wary, I think. Not yet tested.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 09:30    Post subject:  

Now then, boys & girls. I think it best I sound a note of caution here, and report my findings.

From a pristine install of Racy 5.5, I cannot recommend the installation of watchdog's upgraded glib. I'm not finding fault with his work, far from it - he knows I'd never do that - but, as he stated in the previous post, he himself wasn't 100% sure about this.

I merely wish to confirm that, although it's surprised me, I'll admit. Usually, Wary stuff will run OK in Racy (they share much of the same code-base, after all).....but not on this occasion. I assume this particular upgrade must be far more sensitive to specific versions of various items than was assumed.

-------------------------------------------

Install the 'tweaked' Palemoon .pet - no problem. As expected, it won't run; reports the 'XpComGlueLoad' error.

Now; this is where it gets a bit 'odd'. Upon attempting to install the uprated glib .pet, from the moment you click 'OK' to accept installation, Racy becomes pretty well unresponsive.

You can switch screens with the pager, and the main Menu will comeup. You can close anything that's already open. But you can no longer run, or open anything.....and even the shutdown/reboot/X-server sequence no longer responds, necessitating a 'hard' shutdown with the power button.

I tried this 3 times, just to make sure.....in case my elderly hardware had decided to throw a wobbly (she's pretty reliable, but.....it does happen. At nearly 16 years old, what else can you expect?).....but the result was identical in each case.
------------------------------

I know I previously reported success above with this installation. However, I can only assume that already having a newer glibc in place, courtesy of battleshooter's 2.20 'upgrade', had 'moved the goalposts'. Presumably, this gave the new glib .pet something different to work with.

So; I really don't know what to think at this point in time. Perhaps others may have some further insights on this issue? I'd be interested to hear them.

For now, I'm content to remain with running FF68esr from the chroot 'jail'. It'll do.

*Thoughts, anyone?*

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 10:56    Post subject:  

Posting now from racy 5.5 and palemoon-28.7.0 with the glib upgrade.
Have you installed libffi?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035941#1035941

Youtube works.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 11:46    Post subject:  

Okay. Further modifications, and now.......working YouTube. Yay!

I've done some 'hybridization', here, it's true. My desktop Palemoon launcher runs a wee YAD-powered GUI, which gives me a choice of two 'start items':-

....'standard' browsing, or just YouTube by itself. These are normally linked into my regular portable version, on a remote partition, via dual launch scripts, and dual profile directories.

I've used the 'palemoon' directory from your .pet, and moved it into /opt. I've transplanted the launchers & profiles from the portable, along with the 'launch' script I put together for the SSE-only version (again, based on your original from the .pet you assembled for 27.9.4); this 'calls' the palemoon binary, via the built-in glibc219 directory.

I've done it this way because it was simpler to set things in motion using the glibc directory the way you have it set up already, in addition to re-using other existing items.. Like you, I'm no 'script kiddie', and I really don't have the skills to make the launch script call the built-in stuff from battleshooter's 2.20 upgrade! (Besides, yours already has the upgraded libstdc++ installed; one less item to mess about with).

(I DO think, however, that you grossly under-estimate your scripting skills. You really are very good at this stuff, if you're honest with yourself, y'know? ) Smile

----------------------------------------------

The only difference I can spot is what you've done with that 'plugin-launcher' script. I assume you renamed the binary yourself, since the binary has that same exact name in the downloaded tarball..... I'm guessing this is what's responsible for stabilizing YouTube once again. Stroke of genius, that..! Very Happy

I appear to have libffi installed already. (Don't ask me where it came from, 'cos I really don't have a clue; must be as a result of one of the million and one items I've added to Racy this last couple of years..... Rolling Eyes) Mind you, perhaps that was what I needed when testing earlier on in the 'clean' Racy session; I might try that again, actually, just to confirm.....and I think that should be the first thing installed, as well.

Anyway; we got there eventually..! Cheers, mi amigo. Posting from it now.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 17:38; edited 1 time in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 14:04    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

The only difference I can spot is what you've done with that 'plugin-launcher' script. I assume you renamed the binary yourself, since the binary has that same exact name in the downloaded tarball..... I'm guessing this is what's responsible for stabilizing YouTube once again. Stroke of genius, that..! Very Happy

My genius has been to packaging this workraround originating from another forum user which I do not remember in this thread. He was ac2011. All congratulations to him.

EDIT: found the original post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=907538#907538
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 17:57    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Posting now from racy 5.5 and palemoon-28.7.0 with the glib upgrade.
Have you installed libffi?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1035941#1035941

Youtube works.

Okay. Just re-tried this again, in a clean session of Racy (pfix=ram).

Installed libffi first. (Looks like you were right; libffi does appear to be the 'magic ingredient' for this particular excercise, because everything else then fell into place and behaved itself this time. Rolling Eyes Smile )

Installed the glib-2.32.0 .pet.

Installed the tweaked Palemoon 28.7.0. Posting from it now.....and yes; YT does work.

Nice work, mi amigo. Well done! It was my fault for getting ahead of myself and not properly following the instructions, I think....

Mike. Wink

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 09:56    Post subject:  

does anyone have the following working in palemoon? The following for me are always broken:

- Recaptcha
- Github (edit comments, switch branch, etc)
- the embedded "bespokes" at the BBC News website

There is more, I just can't remember it ..

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 10:35    Post subject:  

Using Pale Moon V28.7.0 64bit in Bionicpup64 8.0

About Github.
I can do everything on the Woof CE on Github.
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE
So I assume the rest of Github is working for me.

You do need to signup for a personal account and use it to sign in, to post anything.

There are access levels you can setup to use.
https://help.github.com/en/articles/access-permissions-on-github

Recaptcha
If you are asking about are you a robot.
It works for me.
Have you seen this?
https://support.google.com/recaptcha/?hl=en

Last edited by bigpup on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 11:21; edited 1 time in total
sindi

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 11:20    Post subject: DebianDog Wheezy also lacks glibc 2.1.7 needed by PM 28.7
Subject description: Can 28.7 be compiled for older glibc?

The palemoon 28.7 update broke palemoon in DebianDog Wheezy, which can handle some old video chips (circa 2004-5) that Puppies cannot. The newer Debiandog Jessie does not work properly on my Dell 600M (palemoon thinks it is already running when it is not). I need 28.6 (+) now for ebay, since photos no longer even display with older PM.

ldd shows no other missing libraries.

Walter, do you have time to compile 28.7 against older glibc?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:41    Post subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
does anyone have the following working in palemoon? The following for me are always broken:

- Recaptcha
- Github (edit comments, switch branch, etc)
- the embedded "bespokes" at the BBC News website

There is more, I just can't remember it ..

@ scottman:-

Github : never use it. (Well, rarely.....perhaps to download the odd piece of software I'm interested in. Tried Woof-CE once.....couldn't make head nor tail of it, it was like a foreign language to me!)

'Bespokes'? I'm not a fan of Auntie Beeb at the best of times, but.....those I've never even heard of. What are they? (It's quite possible I know them by a different name, y'see...)

And as for ReCaptcha : the few sites I visit regularly that employ it, I've been going there for so many years I can't even remember the last time I was challenged.....they just sign me straight in these days. So, er.....I guess you could say they 'work' for me, yeah.... Confused Very Happy

And that's the same, regardless of browser used..... Smile

Mike. Wink

sindi

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 18:52    Post subject: reCAPTCHA works with PM 28.6.1 (DebianDog linux Wheezy)  

Palemoon 28.6.1 (the last version to work without glibc 2.17) does reCAPTCHA at the AT&T unlock portal. 28.4.1 does not (in lupu 2016).
Page 54 of 57 [855 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: