palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
nic007

#811 Post by nic007 »

Newer versions of reCaptcha requires newer versions of browsers it seems. Here is a trick that works on some sites where reCaptcha initially don't seem to work: On many sites the reCaptcha seems to refresh after a few seconds (eg: 15 seconds). All you have to do is to wait for a refresh or two. Eventually it should give a challenge, followed with a code you should copy and paste in the block below....

sindi

Palemoon 28.7.1 official compiled to work with glibc 2.12

#812 Post by sindi »

Walter Dnes compiled 28.7.0 Palemoon for me to test with older glibc. It works pretty well. I tested with DebianDog Wheezy from 2014. Ebay now displays photos. Youtube plays but the controls at bottom of video are missing so I cannot reduce resolution and it goes out of sync. Wheezy's glibc, gtk and pango are older than the listed requirements so there may be other problems too.

Walter then asked official compiler Tobin to compile for glibc 2.12 and the latest official version 28.7.1 also works for me. Thanks Walter!

Wary even with glib added is missing other required libraries.

DDog Wheezy (and Jessie but it tends to have problems such as Alt keys not working) is usable on 2003-4 laptops with Intel 855GM and (Thinkpad 42, an ASUS, an ACER, a Gateway 200ARC, DELLs such as 1150 and 5150) that do not display properly or sometimes do not even boot with Puppies 5 (except sometimes Wary) and 6, and it works with 512MB RAM (as does PM 28.7.1 despite requirement for 1GB). Even Wheezy has a few problems (will not auto power off, lynx and fbi may not work - DELL B130).

Walter Dnes

Re: Palemoon 28.7.1 official compiled to work with glibc 2.12

#813 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Walter then asked official compiler Tobin to compile for glibc 2.12 and the latest official version 28.7.1 also works for me. Thanks Walter!
That was not me. It was "by popular demand" See the "What happened to 28.7 for Linux?" thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22849 I was late to that thread because I do my own homebrew builds, and wasn't aware of the situation early on.

Travis has not been heard from for a while. Tobin stepped in with little notice. It took a few days and one beta, but Tobin got it working for older linuxes. Thank him.

darry19662018

#814 Post by darry19662018 »

Hah with an attitude like that - no way - his attitude to people with 32bit hardware is disgusting he wants people to lick his boots, no time for arrogant jumped up -----------------.

As I have said many times and that thread proved it - keeping 32 bit stuff going is not because it is hard it is they can't be bothered. So no in short Walter no I am not thanking him. :evil:

However thank you Walter for your efforts. :D
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

HerrBert

Re: Palemoon 28.7.1 official compiled to work with glibc 2.12

#815 Post by HerrBert »

sindi wrote:...
Walter then asked official compiler Tobin to compile for glibc 2.12 and the latest official version 28.7.1 also works for me. Thanks Walter!
Does this mean 28.7.1 will be running on older puppies like slacko-6.3.2 again without tinkering?

Mike Walsh

#816 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just been having a butcher's at that thread. I must say, Tobin's general attitude toward 32-bit builds rather sucks, doesn't it? He comes across as very condescending, as though those of us running old hardware ought to be thankful & grateful that he even bothers.

I tend to agree with you, Darren. The dev community can't wait for 32-bit to die, because their work will then be even easier, I guess; just one build of each platform version. With that sort of attitude, kinda makes you wonder how much longer Palemoon will be a viable option for us here in Puppyland....

I guess we'll end up taking Walter's route, and compiling each version from source. (Oh, joy....)

Mike. :wink:

[Edited - Reason : typo}
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

darry19662018

#817 Post by darry19662018 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Just been having a butcher's at that thread. I must say, Tobin's general attitude toward 32-bit builds rather sucks, doesn't it? He comes across across as very condescending, as though those of us running old hardware ought to be thankful & grateful that he even bothers.

I tend to agree with you, Darren. The dev community can't wait for 32-bit to die, because their work will then be even easier, I guess; just one build of each platform version. With that sort of attitude, kinda makes you wonder how much longer Palemoon will be a viable option for us here in Puppyland....

I guess we'll end up taking Walter's route, and compiling each version from source. (Oh, joy....)

Thank goodness for people like watchdog who have a humble attitude - they could do with people like him.

Mike Walsh

#818 Post by Mike Walsh »

darry19662018 wrote:Thank goodness for people like watchdog who have a humble attitude - they could do with people like him.
Oh, aye....without a shadow of a doubt. That man is a ray of sunshine for this community (although he doubtless gets embarrassed by my constantly stating the fact.)

His research/workarounds are always very much appreciated. Credit where credit is due, I always say. :D

HerrBert

#819 Post by HerrBert »

sindi wrote:

Does this mean 28.7.1 will be running on older puppies like slacko-6.3.2 again without tinkering?
selfanswering ;-)
28.7.1 running on slacko-6.3.2 again :-D

Walter Dnes

#820 Post by Walter Dnes »

HerrBert wrote: selfanswering ;-)
28.7.1 running on slacko-6.3.2 again :-D
It's running fine on Slacko 5.4 on my laptop (a refurbished off-lease Lenovo). I did some very short testing on Slacko 5.3.1, and it seemed stable. But I didn't run it long enough to authoritavely say that it absolutely works.

I vaguely remember Slacko 5.3.0 being unstable and crash-prone at the transition to PM 28.0, but someone else reported the PM 28.0 ran fine on Slacko 5.3.3. Slacko 5.3.1 is probably the base level Puppy for Pale Moon.

darry19662018

#821 Post by darry19662018 »

I think I'll run icecat from now on runs well on later Puppies like Buster and Devuan based Puduan 6 .

Mike Walsh

#822 Post by Mike Walsh »

Some important info about Palemoon for Linux 32-bit

Well, I created an a/c on the Palemoon Forum this evening, and have already made a few contributions.....and, in my turn, have received some interesting info.

I have been informed that the combination of Glib/glibc/GTK requirements, and the GCC version used to compile it, is now going to remain 'fixed' for the remainder of the lifetime of the 32-bit version releases. Not quite certain how long that will continue for, but from what I can gather the 32-bit version will, eventually, be dropped in favour of 64-bit only.

(Which is hardly unexpected, since it's the direction many developers/applications are already heading in. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess; I would assume the 32-bit 'compile' option could conceivably remain open, since the source-code itself will still remain available.)

"Pale Moon 28.7.0 was the odd man out due to the adhoc and emergency nature of which it was produced. 28.7.1 is now using GCC 4.9 and requires at least glibc 2.12 also GTK 2.24. This will be maintained for the lifetime of Pale Moon for Linux 32bit. So whatever last minute workarounds and procedures a few distros did for 28.7.0 are not required going forward."
You're all as wise as I am now. :D

Mike Walsh

#823 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

A 'tip' for some of you:-

Anyone who (like me) is running UPup 'Raring' and the Palemoon browser may have noticed that since the upgrade to 28.7.0/1, the browser no longer wants to start. (Again...)

Upon investigating, this appears to be down to the version of libstdc++ in use, which is triggering the 'XPCom GlueLoad' error. Simply put, it's too old. Raring's GLib/glibc/GTK stuff is well above the Palemoon 'minimum requirements', but the libstdc++ needs upgrading.....something that we're starting to notice needs doing more & more often now with older Puppies.

Therefore I'm providing a .pet to do just this, utilising the libstdc++ from Tahrpup, which is new enough to permit functionality once again. You can find it HERE, if required.

ac2011

#824 Post by ac2011 »

I read through the thread on the Pale Moon forum and I'd still say "Thanks" to New Tobin Paradigm. He's known for being a bit fiery and has self-banned from that forum for a sabbatical over his own previous outbursts.

In this case I think he's made his point fairly and it's his opinion (and not only his opinion, by far). I'm grateful that he's taken up where Travis left off. I still have a Puppy install that benefits from 32-bit Pale Moon and would be something of a faff to leave behind.

tallboy

#825 Post by tallboy »

This is great news. I am writing this from a 64-bit PM 28.7.1 in a Tahr64-6.0.6, which actually was booted off a functioning live multisession CD-R. I will test with the 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, and see if I can make the PM work there too. The 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6 is only non-PAE version, so I will 'downgrade' to the older 3.14.11_PAE kernel, I have little RAM but plenty swap.

Mike, can your portable 32-bit 28.7.1 Palemoons be built to work on even older Puppys?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

sindi

PM 28.7.1 working in Racy thanks to Mike Walsh

#826 Post by sindi »

The links to glibc 2.20 upgrade were broken so Mike kindly put together a package including three GCC deps, binutils, glibc and gcc upgrades. I needed more than 192MB save file (I chose 256MB) in Racy 5.5, but no other pets/libraries were needed (in fact libffi broke things). PM (27.9.4 and later) was getting libstdc++ errors (before the glibc update) but no longer does (without Mike's libstdc++ update package for other puppy). PM 28.7.1 is working perfectly so far including Youtube.

This ought to also work in Wary, on an HP DV5000 with screwy nvidia video, where puppies with kernel 3 have not displayed X and where I have needed Win7 (!) to post to and view photos at the latest ebay.

sindi

ebay problem with pm 28.7.1 in Racy 5.5 with glibc update

#827 Post by sindi »

Sign in is greyed out. Do I need a newer glibc or something?

sindi

signin at ebay not working (grey) in PM 27.9.4 28.6.1 28.7.1

#828 Post by sindi »

Would someone with more free hard drive space test racy with Palemoon for signing in to ebay? Seamonkey 2.12 (from Sept 2012) does sign in.

Mike Walsh

#829 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Olaf.
tallboy wrote:This is great news. I am writing this from a 64-bit PM 28.7.1 in a Tahr64-6.0.6, which actually was booted off a functioning live multisession CD-R. I will test with the 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, and see if I can make the PM work there too. The 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6 is only non-PAE version, so I will 'downgrade' to the older 3.14.11_PAE kernel, I have little RAM but plenty swap.

Mike, can your portable 32-bit 28.7.1 Palemoons be built to work on even older Puppys?
Well, it'll certainly run in Tahr 6.0.6 "as is". Ditto for Precise 571, Slacko 560 & 570. Racy is using watchdog's 'workaround' he cooked up for Wary (Racy being known as 'Wary on steroids', of course).

I've got various other 'tweaked' versions kicking around. Raring is currently using one of those, because I found that by simply upgrading the libstdc++, although Palemoon then fired up, it broke certain other apps.....SMPlayer being one of these, and which I cannot live without!

You know yourself, I've been using Pups for around 5 years, about the time Tahrpup appeared on the scene. I've played extensively with the 5-series, though until Darry published his re-vamped 431 - the 'Phoenix'! - I'd had nothing to do with the 4-series at all.....and the 2- and 3-series Pups are a mystery to me.

We only got 28.6.1 running in 431 through the use of a chroot 'jail', which watchdog kindly provided me to try. It's quite a large package, since you're essentially running a 'virgin' Precise 571 as the chroot environment within 431 itself. Which, of course, makes 431 a whole lot larger.....but it does work.

(I then took the idea a step further, and got a recent Chromium 'clone', Iron 69, running in 431 by the same method.....except that my chroot 'jail' was based on Tahrpup; it's the oldest Pup that will run Iron 69 without a lot of fuss. I also got FF68esr running, too, and Tahr's built-in VLC and SimpleScreenRecorder running in 431 as well!)

------------------------------------------

Lucid, unfortunately, is a weird one. Through much experimentation over the last 2-3 years, I've found that there's something fundamentally 'wonky' about Lucid's 'X'-server set-up. A lot of stuff that can be 'persuaded' to run in both later (and earlier) Pups just won't behave itself in Lucid.

The chrooted Iron 69 will run happily. FF68esr, although it fires up, defaults to a black screen, and nothing I could do would make it display correctly. Same for Tahrpup's VLC. I didn't bother with the chrooted SimpleScreenRecorder, since watchdog put together an 0.33 package that runs natively in Lucid....

------------------------------------------

It's one of those things that need investigating on a Pup-by-Pup basis, I think. There's several different tweaks & workarounds that can be tried, although my personal kennels has a lot of stuff you wouldn't find in most folks' installs, so it's not easy to test stuff out without running each one with 'pfix=ram' to try things out. And I've got 11 of the little darlings ATM.....

Mike Walsh

#830 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ebay sign-in works for me running 28.7.1 in Racy 5.5. I was browsing on there only last night, and my own set-up auto-logs me in via LastPass. I think if there was anything fundamentally wrong, that functionality wouldn't behave itself, and it wouldn't have logged me in.....

As for those 'glibc-2.20' packages of battleshooter's, credit for putting them together rests with him. All I've done is to assemble the relevant packages into a single archive together with a 'Read-me' file; Russoodle grabbed as much as (s)he could when meownplanet went tits-up a few years back, though everything's rather jumbled up (although still 'rescued'). You have to go through the listings with a fine tooth-comb if you're trying to locate specific packages.

(Credit to Robert123 (no longer with us) for locating them after the original links were discovered to be 'duds'.)

I simply figured it would make things easier for this particular operation, at least, if all the necessary .pets were assembled into a single archived tarball.....

If anybody else wants them, you can find 'em at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aknc42dda ... ar.gz/file

Help yourselves!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.