palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Sylvander

#916 Post by Sylvander »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Sylvander:-

AFAIK, SlimJet & Firefox are definitely 'accepted' by banking sites. I would hazard a guess that your problem is you're using older, out-of-date versions of these..?
a. Methinks you are correct in thinking this.
b.Here's the problem/reason I haven't updated any to their latest version:
b1. A year or two back...SEMME I think it was...who fixed my web-browsers...moving a couple of them [Firefox and Palemoon], out of the pupsave file and into folders in "/mnt/home".
This has the inconvenient consequence that I cannot simply/easily make a backup of the pupsave file and restore that to go back when some change [to a web-browser for example] has some nasty consequence.
b2. Instead...
I must backup and restore the whole of "/mnt/home", because I don't know detailed stuff...like which precise folders/files to backup restore to have the desired effect.
b3. I did backup and then restore "/mnt/home" [back to Palemoon 28.8.4] after an update to the later Palemoon caused my Slacko-5.7.0-pae to freeze.
If I remember right, this far I haven't DARED update Firefox and Slimjet to their latest versions.
c. My Firefox is version 72.0.2.
d. My Slimjet is 14.0.16.0.

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Sylvander:-

To the best of my knowledge, Fred's Firefox-portable should run in 570, after a few 'tweaks' have been made. How much free space do you have available? I know you prefer to execute your saves manually, as & when you've satisfied yourself that something works to your liking...
a. I don't know WHICH Firefox SEMME used, but it is that which he placed in a folder he placed->named "/mnt/home/firefox_61".
There also exists "/mnt/home/firefox_current-profile".

Walter Dnes

#917 Post by Walter Dnes »

Sindi pointed me to this thread. I've lost the 32-bit argument on the Pale Moon forum, and have no desire to continue that battle. According to New Tobin Paradigm...
System packagers are however free to produce 32 bit packages if their distro still has a 32bit target but that is their affair not ours. Users who wish to roll their own for their own personal and not distributed use may also do so.

Be it 32bit or gtk2 or glibc or gcc minimum version the situation is the same. We do not want to arbitrarily bust the capability but also want to move forward and taper off targeting old and insecure systems and dependences.
I interpret this to mean that anybody who releases a full-blown 32-bit Puppy distro would qualify for distribution, and presumably could update with new .PETs (equivalant to Debian .DEBs). Anybody who wishes to do so should check on the Pale Moon forum for confirmation.

I am not a programmer/developer/packager and am not capable of that. I've had mixed success on the 29.x unstable, which has a slightly different build procedure. One build attempt worked, and another failed. Also note that while they won't deliberately break 32-bit, any changes that break 32-bit as a side-effect probably won't get reverted.

lewoo

portable browers

#918 Post by lewoo »

many thanks for portable browers to use on older puppies