Alternative way to build Ubuntu / Debian Puppy [RETIRED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
smokey01

#106 Post by smokey01 »

I must admit I'm not too keen on the original woof as I find it difficult to drive and it can take seven hours to build a distro.
Woof-next on the other hand is easy to drive and only takes about 10 - 15 minutes to build a distro that will boot to a desktop.
When I get a chance I will have a look at emil's work.
Cheers

saintless

#107 Post by saintless »

Hi, Jamesbond.
jamesbond wrote:And yes, woof-next is aimed for using puppy as the "host" distro (where you do the build). I am assuming that people who wants to build puppy are puppy users themselves, those who know the virtues of puppy - thus naturally using puppy as the host. That being said, deb-build.sh *should* work on any reasonable distro, not only puppies. Anything other than should be considered as a bug and should be fixed.
I understand. I do not use puppy as host distro and do not know much about puppy structure and scripts but hope my testing will help you to improve debian sid build process. Still think dpkg database is not correctly builded from start and this will create problems for the user later. I will post some fixes soon.

Toni

saintless

#108 Post by saintless »

Fixes for Woof-Next-James-Debian-Sid-Build:

1. Added in /usr/bin files from puppy:
dhcpcd
geany

Added deb packages:
gettext-base
libasprintf0c2
libcap2
startpar

Added /usr/local/bin/rox script to start file (home) desktop icon.

2. Remove /var/lib/dpkg/info/bblinks.list and "Package: bblinks" section from /var/lib/dpkg/status
Puppy BusyBox links are still in the system but will be replaced with debian files when it is needed without apt-get errors.

3. Added in /etc/group:

Code: Select all

sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:
mail:x:8:
news:x:9:
man:x:12:
proxy:x:13:
fax:x:21:
voice:x:22:
sudo:x:27:
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:
sasl:x:45:
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:
nogroup:x:65534:
libuuid:x:101:
crontab:x:102:
scanner:x:104:saned
colord:x:106:
ssl-cert:x:108:
Debian-exim:x:109:
mlocate:x:110:
bluetooth:x:114:
saned:x:116:
utempter:x:103:
fuse:x:111:
ntp:x:112:
4. added in /etc/gshadow:

kmem:*::
dialout:*::
fax:*::
voice:*::
cdrom:*::
floppy:*::
tape:*::
sudo:*::
audio:*::
www-data:*::
backup:*::
operator:*::
list:*::
irc:*::
src:*::
gnats:*::
shadow:*::
utmp:*::
video:*::
sasl:*::
plugdev:*::
staff:*::
games:*::
libuuid:!::
crontab:!::
scanner:!::
messagebus:!::
colord:!::
lpadmin:!::
ssl-cert:!::
Debian-exim:!::
mlocate:!::
netdev:!::
bluetooth:!::
saned:!::
utempter:!::
fuse:!::
ntp:!::
5. Changed section in /var/lib/dpkg/status from:

Package: libc6
Priority: required
Section: libs
Maintainer: unspecified
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.19-10
Depends: libgcc1
Description: libc6 installed by deb-build.sh
to:

Package: libc6
Priority: required
Section: libs
Maintainer: unspecified
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.19-10
Replaces: libc6-i386
Provides: glibc-2.19-1
Depends: libgcc1
Description: libc6 installed by deb-build.sh
If I find something more I will post it again.

Toni

emil

#109 Post by emil »

When I get a chance I will have a look at emil's work.
Currently the project is available on github
https://github.com/emilwidmann/Debian-light-builder

I removed it from the boxen.math server, so the download links in my old posts don't work at the moment. Eventually I can reupload it.

I want to add that I just created a tiny part of these scripts. Most work is done by the debian live-builder. Thiery Monteil wrote a creative module system to configure and run those scripts. I just wrote a special module which tries to create a simple, puppy like system.

I would like that my project is not compared to the work of others (like jamesbonds scripts) in a judgemential (better/worse) way. I think all those different projects share a similar goal and come from a special need to improve on some deep founded weakness of puppy, while at the same time keeping its strengths and simplicity - generally all traits why we love the Puppy Linux system and care for it.

Saintless and the team of DebianDog* proved, that a puppy like debian system is possible. There was lot of insight and experience gained. Possibly I return to my build scripts, and anbody who wants to join to inject some good portions of puppy linux is very welcome.

with respect and kind regards
emil

* aka: Saintless and the DebianDogs (TM)

jamesbond

Retirement notice

#110 Post by jamesbond »

This project is now retired.

The purpose of this project is to bring fun back to puppy building (along with exploring different ideas); during the time that woof-CE development seemed stagnant.

Woof-CE has just seen a resurgence of activity; and a lot of things have been improved. Maintaining a separate branch of Woof-CE (and trying to sync between them) by myself is not something that I can do concurrently with my other projects (hobby and paid).

Therefore I have decided to retire this project. People should focus on the official Woof-CE (the "testing" branch) and contributes there.

I have just done one final update (updating the repo-url) so that it should still work; but remember you are on your own. Please feel free to experiment with it, fork it, improve it etc.

I may revert my decision and re-activate this if I get enough feedback and contributions - but I don't hold my breath. Until then, this is it.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

====

PS: The build system which is the core of Woof-CE NG (which is mine) will live along elsewhere in another project called "Fatdog-Like".

"Fatdog-Like" is a derivative-based Fatdog. One can build Ubuntu-based Fatdog (=Fatdog-Like Ubuntu), Fatdog-Like Slackware, etc. It's still in the early stage and is not public yet, but I can already boot 32-bit barebones Fatdog-Like Tahr under BIOS and UEFI to desktop with jwm :wink:

Fatdog-Like is a project that I have been pondering for a long time. As soon as I started this, I was thinking about it - but I didn't do it because I don't want people (and myself) to get distracted.

Now that this Woof-CE NG is officialy retired, I can pursue this project with leisure.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mavrothal

Re: Retirement notice

#111 Post by mavrothal »

jamesbond wrote:This project is now retired.
:cry:
jamesbond wrote:The build system which is the core of Woof-CE NG (which is mine) will live along elsewhere in another project called "Fatdog-Like".

:D
jamesbond wrote:Woof-CE has just seen a resurgence of activity; and a lot of things have been improved.

I actually think that current changes in woof only improve transition to your woof-next and hopefully when this cycle finishes things may move that way.
But as you said it depends on "feedback and contributions".
Fingers crossed.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==