Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 02:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Pages won't load in SeaMonkey
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 02:04    Post subject:  Pages won't load in SeaMonkey  

I have a good full hard drive install of Wary 5.3, it boots perfectly from Grub installed to the MBR, its network tests and configuration all got the seal of approval, it reports being connected but it will not finish loading sites. It will take the first steps in doing so but hangs up about half way through on a file its downloading and gets no further. Any thoughts?
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 06:57    Post subject:  

Hmm a flakey wifi card/driver tends to behave like that so I would focus on that aspect..... perhaps post some hardware details.

mike
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 10:51    Post subject:  

Mike,

Thanks for the input.

Flakey is a good term. The browser seems to connect alright, its just that the pages involved won't download thereafter. If this were happening with the other computer on the network - a Windows 2000 installation with the same 3Com NIC - I'd suspect the DSL modem or some aspect of my internet service. But the Windows computer connects and downloads the pages just fine. Now the hardware I'm using for the Linux box is dated - PII 333 processor, 256 MG Memory - but its getting recognized and there are no complaints about functionality from the network wizard. I suspect the browser, Seamonkey, that its just too much for this machine. But then again to simply die after connecting with reasonable enthusiasm, I don't know!
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 14:01    Post subject:  

You are writing of the built-in seamonkey, I suppose. You have the the full install so I suggest to you to frugal install wary 5.3, install dbus and dbus-glib from PPM after updating lists of packages and try a more recent seamonkey in the frugal install. If it works you can install it in the full install. Try this pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90882
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 14:40    Post subject:  

Hmm yes it might simply be too heavy a browser for the system .... later versions suck ram and cpu cycles.

It may be worth trying something like opera10 just as a comparison. Firefox 3.6 would be of similar demands.

Otherwise it might be worth using something like wget on a known good download to establish the quality of the wifi...linux is usually ok with heavy load where windows will give out (which seems NOT to be the case for you) so need to at least rule out a poor wifi driver. Could you use ethernet cable as a test?

No good trying the online speedtests as they simply use too much flash cpu to be useful.

mike
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 16:14    Post subject:  

Mike, watchdog,

Well shut my mouth! Started looking at the network driver situation a little more exhaustively and by klutzily fiddling with the various wizards dealing with eth0 connectivity, may have stumbled into a solution. I have an old 3COM 905C-TX on this box. It was considered an excellent NIC in its day. Well the system now gives me 3Com Tornado as the driver and sure enough SeaMonkey works in a way I would have expected of a PII 333 computer: Its loads slowly but it gets there so I guess I owe Mike a thanks for targeting the driver question and Watchdog one for a suggested alternative.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2014, 18:53    Post subject:  

Smile
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 17:03    Post subject:  

Mike,

Think I've stumbled upon the reason I was having trouble getting pages to load in SeaMonkey: I don't think the network connection wizard in Wary is saving driver selections properly. After writing about my success in getting pages to download yesterday, the problem returned after rebooting today. I solved the problem by re-installing the correct driver although I had elected to save the setting for the next boot-up before power-off. Unless I can get the wizard to work properly next time, it looks as though I'll have to keep re-installing the driver prior to each internet use, not my idea of a good time. Wary is a nice approach and right for my machine but our developer no longer works with it, I understand. If any one ever picks this thing up again two things to consider repairing are: (1) the HD install on version 5 which won't accept the legacy install of the Grub boot manager and, (2) this business in version 3 of problems with saving driver selections in the network wizard. I'd do it, but I'm a salesman Smile
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 18:54    Post subject:  

Hmm a problem that seems to crop up with the simple network setup...dougals original version which sould be in there always behaves for me.
There may still be old configs from wifi overiding too... a fresh start/save file might be a good idea.

Lucid autoconnects to ethernet...I thought wary would do that too...

mike
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:04    Post subject:  

Mike,

Talk about frustrated? Yup, the problem with web pages not downloading is back! Everything I've tried brings no permanent solution. I can't even get the package manager to download and install a lighter browser because the ftp site won't respond. Yet I'm told by the system that I have a good eth0 and DHCP connections. My Windows system downloads the pages at the effected sites also. As soon as I can get this up and running again - even temporarily - I'll fetch a new and lighter browser and see if that helps. But right now I'm fresh out of ideas.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:16    Post subject:  

Do you have any swap? Your 256 MB of RAM will almost certainly be insufficient without it if you try to use a browser. If you want to try other browsers there is the latest Dillo for Wary but it is ultra-light so doesn't have features like frames or javascript and stuff. There is also a Slimboat adapted for Wary. This has more features than Dillo but is a little lighter and faster than SeaMonkey or Firefox.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/dillo-3.0.4-i486-w5.pet
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/slimboat-1.1.49-wary5.pet

watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:55    Post subject:  

Do you think it's a DNS resolution problem? Try open or google's DNS. Put in a /etc/resolv.conf.head the following content for example:

Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 63.226.12.96
nameserver 72.3.208.251

and run DHCP again.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2014, 19:16    Post subject:  

Hmm the realtek dongle that played me up behaves better with the computer on its side lol.... but I guess then its on and off behaviour might simply have been due to poor signal strength.
I did jumpt through several hoops trying different drivers but seem to have ended up back where i started with just the physical rearrangement.

mike
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:54    Post subject:  

watchdog,

Help me a bit here on the DNS server business. You want me to create a /etc/resolv.conf.head file with

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 63.226.12.96
nameserver 72.3.208.251

as the text and place it where?

I think you may be on to something with a DNS problem. To many address not found errors. I can only manage browser service 15% of the time at this point and, frankly I'm getting sick of it.
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:56    Post subject:  

Open with geany text editor (Menu-Document) a new file and paste in it that content and save as resolv.conf.head in /etc dir where is resolv.conf. Then run DHCP again. I suspect something your provider network related: try open DNS.
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: