Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 04:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Pages won't load in SeaMonkey
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 03:50    Post subject:  

watchdog

I tried this solution but could not see DNS numbers after running DHCP in network info. Was able subsequently to determine that a form of symbolic link - one that addressed itself - was the problem so renamed the file etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf.old and created a new etc/resolv.conf with the name server numbers you gave me. Sure enough, the DNS numbers appeared in the network info and I am now back to where I was earlier with only the slow or strained page loading. Earlier than that all I was getting was page error after page error. So we've made some progress. But how to get the page loading to complete instead of hanging half way through? I'm beginning to think its God punishing me for my sin. Smile
watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 05:23    Post subject:  

I think the resolv.conf not correctly behaves: you have something broken in your network scripts. I'm not expert of the full install so I suggest to test in a frugal install or in a live before abandoning the problem. Resolv.conf will be overwritten at next boot with your provider's DNS if you do not use resolv.conf.head. Use Network Wizard by BK. You can test a swap file on hd to enhance ram behaviour. You can do it with:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path-to/swap bs=1048576 count=500 #500Mb
mkswap /path-to/swap
swapon /path-to/swap
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 05:33    Post subject:  

Hmm going back a bit... pentium 2 333.... best system that ran on the one I had was an Nlited XP. Puppy 4.12 was okish but linux in general was poor due to a lack of a video driver.

Still appears to be wifi driver ... and since ethernet is happy resolv.conf seems unlikely to be the solution here.

Not sure what wary is like... do other things run reasonably well? Again its unlikely in linux a struggling cpu would cause wifi problems since such would be prioritised.

mike
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 18:00    Post subject:  

watchdog,

I created etc/resolv.conf.head with nameserver 4.2.2.1 and nameserver 4.2.2.4 , two which were identified by DNS Benchmark as being quicker than my ISP's DNS. I rebooted, tried to browse and got the same old same old: The site connects but won't load. I checked the settings for DNS in the Network Configuration device and get nameserver 68.94.156.1 and nameserver 68.94.157.1 , the ISP DNS numbers! Apparently etc/resolv.conf.head can't override the ISP settings! How to do this anyway?

By the way, I've got 1GB swap file, /dev/sda2. Admittedly 256MB SDRAM isn't a lot but a swap file this large ought to help to some degree, eh? The processor is a PII 333 Mhz which the fastest the motherboard supports with the last BIOS upgrade made available by NEC just before it closed down its support. Prior to that I'd been running a PII 233 Mhz on this box. With a new 30 GB hard drive on a Promise Controller I've got a dream machine by 1998 standards. Smile

mikeb,

See additional comments about etc/resolv.conf.head, swap file and hardware in reply to watchdog just above. Yes, everything else seems to run just fine. There are times when the memory limitations are clear, the mouse isn't quite as responsive, etc., but, hell, I'm willing to live with petty annoyances like that if I reliably can get on the internet. From reviewing the material online it would seem that this page loading problem with MonkeySee/MonkeyDo is endemic. But no one arrives at a workable solution either. Its too bad that Wary isn't undergoing further development. In my view the 5.3 version is the right distro for this computer: I can do a full install after setting up partitions on a zeroed out drive with GParted on System Rescue Disk; I can get Wary 5.3 to use the standard Grub Bootloader without having to resort to the DOS Grub loader which one can't get around when using 5.5 Wary. I just wish I could load pages! And its not the browser: I've tried Dillo too and its the same thing. Its somewhere in the network but where?
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 19:56    Post subject:  

You're not going to believe this but, once again, the problem seems to have fixed itself. I don't know if any of the etc/resolv.conf or etc/resolve.conf.head files I created have had something to do with it but the Wary full install on my PII anachronism is running almost as well as the Windows install on my main box. I'm afraid to go off line or reboot. The network information tool shows the ISP's DNS numbers not the ones provided with .head but for some reason they are now working and quite well! Nobody sneeze or start coughing please. Smile
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 05:38    Post subject:  

Breath held.

This dongle I have when on puppy looses the net in the first few minutes but after reconnecting its fine all day. It too was stubborn for a while and is occasionally marginal.

Same dongle on slax stays connected but it has inetd which I beleive would retry dchcpd if a connection is lost...eg a cable is removed.

The normal behaviour for resolv.conf would be to get your ISP dns... usually if its a problem deleting it is enough and it gets renewed.

mike
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 07:50    Post subject:  

Have you a modem-router or a dsl modem? Can you reset the modem-router? Can you play with modem-router settings? I think your ISP authomatically configures as it likes your modem-router. Another test you can do is to use Roaring Penguin PPPOE. But if it works the better thing is to do nothing.
Bird Dog

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2014, 17:47    Post subject: Seamonkey not loading  

Just for the record after running a good year my Seamonkey 2.6.1 in Wary 5.5 requires repetitive clicks of the mouse to initiate. There are instructions for updating Seamonky in the Wary 5.5 thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84748&start=60 or if you are able (my solution) install precise 5.7.1 retro with Shinobars update http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=782153&sid=855acab57a6d1e291d893c8573541331#782153 you might be better off.
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun 2014, 02:10    Post subject:  

Bird Dog,

I'll take a hard look at those threads and your solution, Bird Dog. Thanks.

watchdog,

I think you're right to say that the ISP overrides anything I do when it comes to trying to control the DNS environment, watchdog. And I have indeed reset my ADSL modem - I have a separate router - but without any luck. Always the same, I can ping the sites but they won't load. Yet every once in a while, maybe once in four days, I'm treated to a good old requited click at some news site or other and brought back for more of this endless torture. God hates me, watchdog. And He's making a list of those that are trying to help me. Smile

mikeb,

Looks like editing the DNS settings was of no consequence, mike. Somehow the ISP manages to reset. And when it hasn't, the new numbers haven't helped.
Bird Dog

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun 2014, 15:49    Post subject: Pages won't load in Seamonkey  

Hi Arlish I posted before about my Wary 5.5 Seamonkey having trouble while clicking on links and back buttons etc. I switched my mouse from a usb to a ps2 (ibm) and the problem has gone away. One last possibility if your isp upgraded your internet without informing you and you have an older high speed modem. When I switched isp's my older high speed modem is unusable (so slow) with the new service. I posted this in the What puppy works with a p2 333 mhz.also.
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 10:52    Post subject:  

Bird Dog,

Maybe not such a shot in the dark concerning the modem, although I'd hate to admit it since it works with Windows, albeit a bit slower than it used to be. I mean the modem is 12 years old. But truth be known, Linux is now unusable on this computer owing to my being unable to load pages with it. I might as well be using the computer as a toilet. Within limits, I have to try something.

So here's a question for you - and for Mike, too. I have a 4 port Linksys router connecting these two guys and it, in turn, is connected to the ADSL modem, then to the wall, naturally. My first exposure to ADSL back in roughly 1999-2000 involved the ISP - a very small local company - providing at the start of service a router that also functioned as a modem. Two years later, I moved out of their service area and into one serviced by what is today one of the giants. They provided only a modem and were most disagreeable about providing access for home networks with multiple boxes without your paying for it. They've since calmed down about this, of course, or few experienced people would have used them as solutions were increasingly found. But, anyway, what's your take on the advantages and disadvantages of using a one rather than a two part setup, the combined router/moden vs. router + modem? Everything is wired here, very straight forward. Replacing the modem alone saves the cost of replacing both as I have no good reason to suspect the router in this SeaMonkey business. But if there is something defective in the router, a combined unit might save money overall, what say?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 15:21    Post subject:  

combined unints works well but your arrangement is it seems providing the same function.

As far as a system is concerned its an ethernet connection that supplies an ip when asked...the hardware doing it is a bit on the irrelevant side.

Since it functions perfectly well on windows the problem to me is more about linux not working well on an older machine and perhaps the network card on that same machine (its driver).

If it was dns then you would never get anything at all (dns turns the domain name into an ip thats all) and defaulting to the isp nameservers is the expected behaviour.

just my view of all this

mike
Bird Dog

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 15:26    Post subject: Pages won't load in Seamonkey  

Hi Arlish if you're renting that modem It won't cost you anything to have them send you a new and updated version. If its free thats the first place I would start troubleshooting. If its not free I would just buy a good high speed modem which is what I use. I'm not up to date on the latest security features but you must program it like a router (username and password) and there's a special protocol thats selected in the modem software so the router receives the information properly. If you need help I will check back here.
Last edited by Bird Dog on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 11:53; edited 1 time in total
Arlish Tharng

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 19:54    Post subject:  

mikeb,

Happy to have your "view of all this". Thanks.

Would these facts influence your thinking regarding the ethernet card and driver, mike? The card is a 3COM which, in its day, was considered a quality offering. 3COM has since been bought out, I believe. The driver which Puppy hardware detection has selected is the right one for the card as far as I'm aware. Prior to my using it to install Puppy, this system had been dormant for roughly eight years, possibly more. Its last regular use came at around 2005-6 and involved installations of Arch Linux and later Damn Small Linux. Specifically, I can recall an introduction to Dillo which was DSL's main browser at the time and Sylpheed. Both functioned perfectly well with the hardware as things then were. I was expecting similar functionality from Wary 5.3 when I first installed it. Now I know a lot has happened to Linux in eight years, kernel development for example. Might that be playing a role here? Is there now perhaps an incompatibility between the card and the kernel which didn't exist with the older kernel? I've taken a look at the most recent available versions of Damn Small and have the same page loading problems I'm experiencing with Wary but I'm not sure which iteration of the kernel was used in Damn Small when it worked so well for me. The only hardware difference in the system today compared to 2005 is a new CMOS battery, the old one having died during the inactivity. Anything here to provoke interest, mike? I mean I could always swap out the NIC but the system reports that its functioning properly. Thoughts?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 04:25    Post subject:  

hmm interesting...as far as I know DSL has not changed for years so if thats noy working well now thet tends to suggest the operation system as such is not the problem here at least as far as recent changes go.

cmos battery... only would be a factor if some odd bios setting was needed to make the card happy and all that comes to mind is irq allocation. Saying that its not unknown for such as usb and network cards to interfere with each other on older hardware. I had problems with a mouse in a usb2 card which caused an X crash regularly for example.
Windows may be reallocating irq's and thus get around the problem as a possible explanation for the difference.

Again all just speculation based on the information available.

Don't suppose you still had the one you were given or could borrow a modem/router?

mike
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: