Is v5.7.1 the End of the Line for Precise Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Jody Thornton

Is v5.7.1 the End of the Line for Precise Puppy?

#1 Post by Jody Thornton »

I'm wondering if there is going to be a next version of Precise Puppy after 5.7.1. It appears Barry has left the project and that has me concerned.

I understand he is working on Quirky Puppy. Is there a future to that build? Can it be upgraded over top of Precise?

My interest in future builds is so that I have to access to upgraded versions of Seamonkey (but ones compiled into the OS as they seem to work better)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The answer is no one knows.

At present Barry K. is not doing anything with Precise 5.7.1. Not even trying to fix bugs.

Someone is probably going to have to take over as developer or offer their own version of a Puppy based on Ubuntu repo.

Myself, I have no interest in a Puppy version that gets released and the developer walks away. There are always some bug issues and problems that need to be worked. If a developer is willing to listen and try to fix stuff. I am willing to use it and help make it better.
That is basically what an updated version is, bug fixes.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Jody Thornton

#3 Post by Jody Thornton »

Yikes. That's not too promising. What would you recommend as a user-friendly, all purpose build (that includes Seamonkey)? Is Slacko a good bet or Quirky?
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Hmm who is developing quirky..... ..

Long term support is a good question but puppy is in the experimental/hobby area so nothing is set in stone. Not to mention linux itself is extremely fickle and kernels and core lib changes happen 20 times a minute.

Actually There is some form of long term support happening for Lucid but that lets you choose the browser...to me the friendliest ever of the mainstram pups. Micko seems loyal to slacko too, life permitting.

I suppose as a general statement the users provide long term support.... you may have noticed the 4.12 website and 2.14x for example and 4.31 gets similar treatment.

Old crusties like me...I use older stuff and work with that...if it ain't broke type approach and compiling drivers takes 30 seconds....
Getting newer browsers and flash seems to pamper to the advert spammers anyway..... don't start on security...only better handling of web crap is the only real bonus.

mike

Jody Thornton

#5 Post by Jody Thornton »

mikeb wrote:Getting newer browsers and flash seems to pamper to the advert spammers anyway..... don't start on security...only better handling of web crap is the only real bonus.

mike
Are you meaning to say, don't focus on getting regular security updates? I'm used to getting updates every couple of weeks in the Windows world. I would still expect regular updates on a Linux platform, no?
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

The first thing I ever do with windows is disable updates ... so perhaps I am not the best person on the subject... on the other hand not had a virus or adware since 2004.

Currently using firefox 3.6... ok some obnoxious sites get awkward but then again I don't feel like supporting them either if they push restricted access.

As for puppy... in itself its a snapshot of current status... many here including myself are running software from years ago and I have yet to see a confirmed report of any form of infection here.

Mike

Jody Thornton

#7 Post by Jody Thornton »

I appreciate that some like to keep their systems setup in a legacy fashion (old Firefox 3.x versions and old software, etc...), but since I am using Puppy as an XP replacement, I am looking for something to update regularly so I can browse freely and securely, bank sites and all.

So the way I use Precise right now is VERY simple. Mostly I use Seamonkey v2.19 for browsing, IMAP mail access, and the Lightning scheduler. I simply want to be able to upgrade the build of Puppy to a next version that includes a bundled Seamonkey. I find that the compiled Seamonkey builds work better when they are integrated into a Puppy build. The one I've installed from PET files always seem to have little issues here and there.

Can Firefox be completely removed from Slacko and thus I could use Seamonkey instead?

Thanks for everyone's help by the way.
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Well its more a case of not updating cos 1. its working and 2.the update might not.

Just to make you nervous I internet bank regularly on windows 2000. I might upgrade to XP soon :D

Yes to remove firefox delete its folder ..usually in /usr/lib... and desktop file...but /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser may need editing.

There may be the option to have it removed in the puppy package manager.

mike

Jody Thornton

#9 Post by Jody Thornton »

mikeb wrote:Well its more a case of not updating cos 1. its working and 2.the update might not.

Just to make you nervous I internet bank regularly on windows 2000. I might upgrade to XP soon :D

Yes to remove firefox delete its folder ..usually in /usr/lib... and desktop file...but /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser may need editing.

There may be the option to have it removed in the puppy package manager.

mike
OK that's promising. Now there's no way to "upgrade" to Slacko over top of my Precise installation is there?

See, I really loved Windows 2000 Professional. I missed it a lot.
:)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Yes perhaps 2000 was a bit too popular....... XP starts to get cluttered.

changing to slacko from precise is not advisable...start afresh

Not sure if you mentioned a full or frugal install?

mike

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Jody.

If no one picks up the torch updating Puppy Precise, I guess you'd be right.
It would be the end of the line for that "breed" of Puppy.

That said, I'm surprised that nobody on this page has mentioned the doggie
waiting in the wings, the newcomer, Puppy Tahr:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#779859

BFN.

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

When BarryK retired he did say that he "might" do an update of Precise at some point, but he has gone extremely quiet for several weeks now. The latest Ubuntu LTS release is now Trusty Tahr although Precise will still be supported for some while.

There is a service pack mechanism in Puppy but it doesn't seem to get used much. Updates are usually not essential.

There isn't really anything to be gained by removing Firefox from Slacko. It is included in the .iso and there are some libs inside the Firefox folder which might go missing and cause other things not to work.

You can compile SeaMonkey in Slacko with your own configure options. I did version 2.25 a few weeks back. Took about 4 hours but it worked.

If you can run 64bit Fatdog has both SeaMonkey and Firefox included.
Oscar in England

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

I did mention tahr ... I wondered if support would go the same way as precise seems to have..

Actually on the subject it seems odd to me that users cannot simply grab a copy of seamonkey from mozilla and use it..what exactly goes wrong with these pets?

mike

Jody Thornton

#14 Post by Jody Thornton »

mikeb wrote:I did mention tahr ... I wondered if support would go the same way as precise seems to have..

Actually on the subject it seems odd to me that users cannot simply grab a copy of seamonkey from mozilla and use it..what exactly goes wrong with these pets?

mike
Precisely this shown in the thread below. Days later the issue reappeared when I tried reinstalling a pet for Seamonkey v2.25. The problem went away again when I reverted to Seamonkey v2.19 (I had to reinstall the compiled pet)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92952
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

ah that thread......

hmm theme weirdness..another new linux feature lol (another reason I try new distros and leave them to it)

Ok...but what if you downloaded a seamonkey package from mozilla...unpacked it and ran it... how is that?

Whats it like in safe mode/with the profile deleted?

For something like this the pet 'builder' does the download/unpack...adds a menu entry via the script builder and thats it...they don't really do anything technical let alone alter the contents.

mike

Jody Thornton

#16 Post by Jody Thornton »

I shall have to try unpacking the contents of a generic archive download.

I'm really more wondering what will be the continued long term Pup derivative. I just want to bet on the right horse so I don't have to clear away my installation and redo my notebook PC every so often. I want to use Puppy (or whatever distro) in the same carefree manner that one uses Windows, but with lightweight apps.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

hmm a finger on the puppy pulse... in my case the long term support is ME... looking for that in the linux world is an interesting quest. Puppy's dev base is a series of individuals and in a general state of flux and its structure/support reflects that.

carefree windows eh...yes my 2000/XP setups have been that for many years and only well behaved software is allowed on them which is a factor. Just recently been playing with win 7 and once you get a handle on that its pleasant and I suppose in the end even on windows I provide the LTS as they wish to push the latest bunny.
Windows in the long term is much easier since their kernel and base apis remain pretty constant over the lifespan of each product and beyond whereas on linux it changes constantly...having to change the core system everytime a new driver is needed does at some level seem to be overkill.
Indeed windows NT structure and base api for any driver has not changed significantly since the early 90's... makes life for hardware and software producers much easier.

I digress... its a way of life :D

mike

ahoppin

#18 Post by ahoppin »

I ran Windows 98 from 2000 to 2010. The only updates I ever installed were for functionality, not security. I never got any malware, but I avoided dodgy websites and didn't open suspicious email attachments.

Since 2010 I've been using Puppy instead, mostly Lucid 525. Lucid is very stable. My support is this forum.

I get the impression that upgrading your Puppy to a later version, even within variants, is somewhere between risky and impossible. I might be wrong about that. In any case it seems safer to back up the data, wipe the disk, and install the new Puppy fresh. (Except for a flash-drive netbook, I use full installations.)

I've customized Lucid 525 quite a lot, and so am hesitant to try to update since that would mean starting all over again. I did load Precise on the netbook, and in fact still don't have it set up quite the way I like.

For example, Preciese doesn't suspend when I close the screen over the keyboard of my EEE, something I've had working for years on my Thinkpad T2x laptops with Lucid.

I haven't yet tried updating Seamonkey from PETs. For the first browser update, I downloaded the generic Linux version of Seamonkey from Mozilla and installed it in its own directory per Mozilla's instructions. I modified /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to point to that version, leaving the original version right where it was on the disk just to be safe.

I've updated the same way since, and SM continues to run just fine, though that's probably not the most efficient way to do it because of the large size of the generic Linux Seamonkey. That would probably matter more if I used a savefile.

Bottom line is that I think that frequent OS updating is often unnecessary. That's certainly true with Puppy, and perhaps even with Windows.

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:hmm a finger on the puppy pulse... in my case the long term support is ME... looking for that in the linux world is an interesting quest. Puppy's dev base is a series of individuals and in a general state of flux and its structure/support reflects that.

carefree windows eh...yes my 2000/XP setups have been that for many years and only well behaved software is allowed on them which is a factor. Just recently been playing with win 7 and once you get a handle on that its pleasant and I suppose in the end even on windows I provide the LTS as they wish to push the latest bunny.
Windows in the long term is much easier since their kernel and base apis remain pretty constant over the lifespan of each product and beyond whereas on linux it changes constantly...having to change the core system everytime a new driver is needed does at some level seem to be overkill.
Indeed windows NT structure and base api for any driver has not changed significantly since the early 90's... makes life for hardware and software producers much easier.

I digress... its a way of life :D

mike
Windows 7 is good but such a memory hog besides I just hate BIGGGG operating systems. Totally unnecessary

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

I got 7 down to 4gigs of disk space and ~450MB of ram when booted.
In spite of those large (to me ) figures it boots and shuts down promptly on a dual core atom.

By the way I am not careful of where I browse and love html emails...after all why have all this technology if you cannot even send out nice piccies :)
I even used to visit those dodgy ecard links to see what happened.

98...well done... I had it fairly stable and safe after 98lite but it still needed a reboot every few hours and could only handle one large program at a time... extremely limited DOS resources and poor memory management...NT is a dream after using that one.

Long term pups...yes I like lucid...I just used it to build around the slax6 core as my long term support system...the lenny/slax 6 /pup412 era stuff starts to get awkward for some things.

mike

mike