slacko-6.0 beta 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Moat

#586 Post by Moat »

Sage wrote:... an old tin of car valve polishing grits might suffice?
Yikes, no! :shock: I've lapped many a valve, and the valve grinding compound used (if that's what you meant, Sage?) is much too coarse (think 200-320 grit sandpaper).

For CPU/chipset cooling, I believe one wants as close to a mirror finish on the heat sink/carrier's metal surface as possible... a very fine automotive wheel/metal/aluminum polish like Simichrome, Flitz or Mother's would do the trick nicely, I'd think.

FWIW.

Although I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my old Pentium D equipped Dell box, yeah... they really put out the heat! (Nice for keeping toes warm on cold winter nights...). And they have no temp sensor built in, either... arrgh! Intel probably didn't want anyone to know just how hot they run.

Bob

Sage

#587 Post by Sage »

Heat Sink+Fan

Sage

#588 Post by Sage »

... valve grinding compound used (if that's what you meant, Sage?) is much too coarse (think 200-320 grit sandpaper)
Supposed to start with the course grade, turn the tin upside down, then use the fine grit which should polish your valves and CPU to mirror finish. But diamonds are better...
Could finish with Braso, I suppose, or even Vim, which are based on MgO.Magnesia is just about the softest oxide that might be considered abrasive. Not sure whether talc would work. Everything you need for serious engineering exists in most outhouses, if only we can recognise it.
supra I wrote k-*-t-c-h-e-n-s but you can see it transposed as 'outhouses' which is NOT intended. No idea what the Yanks get up to in their k-*-t-c-h-e-n-s, but RoW usually cook in them.

Jades

#589 Post by Jades »

Moat wrote:Although I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my old Pentium D equipped Dell box, yeah... they really put out the heat! (Nice for keeping toes warm on cold winter nights...).
Additionally, Intel went out of their way to supply the loudest cooling fans... in the world!

The overheat problem on my system's actually the graphics card, one of the fans on the cooler has failed. I'd do a warranty claim (still inside 6 years) but since the card is one of the parts being replaced in the new build I can't really be bothered.
Moat wrote:And they have no temp sensor built in, either... arrgh!
Odd, mine does. Pentium D 3.4GHz in an Asus P5P800-VM mainboard. Maybe Dell used crappy parts? Wouldn't be the first time.

The main reason we're doing such a radical upgrade of the system is that it's our main gaming machine - it's just been a long time since its last major upgrade. If all I ran on it was Puppy I wouldn't be bothering.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Moat

#590 Post by Moat »

Jades wrote:
Odd, mine does. Pentium D 3.4GHz in an Asus P5P800-VM mainboard.
Ah... lucky you! :) As far as I can tell, this one is an earlier 3.2 GHz (840), 130w Smithfield - and had no built-in thermal monitoring (later ones did) - http://ark.intel.com/products/27514/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB

Aside from their power consumption and bus limitations compared to later multi-core architectures, I dunno... it's been a good 'ol reliable (and quite fast) workhorse for me (if a bit hot and noisy).

@Sage - I did not know that finer valve compounds were available... back in the day (80's) only single grades (SiC/carborundum) were what we had available locally. Wish I'd have known - always was dissatisfied in the rough finish that resulted.

Apologies for the OT banter!! :oops:

Bob

Sage

#591 Post by Sage »

finer valve compounds
My tin of grits dates back to the mid-60's !

zigbert

#592 Post by zigbert »

Alternative jwm-configuration tool is uploaded here

Jades

#593 Post by Jades »

Moat wrote:
Jades wrote:
Odd, mine does. Pentium D 3.4GHz in an Asus P5P800-VM mainboard.
Ah... lucky you! :) As far as I can tell, this one is an earlier 3.2 GHz (840), 130w Smithfield - and had no built-in thermal monitoring (later ones did) - http://ark.intel.com/products/27514/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB
Pretty sure mine is the 945, one of the later Presler ones. At the time the Core 2 CPUs had just come out but the Pentium D was considerably cheaper at the same clock speed so I opted for the latter.
Moat wrote:Aside from their power consumption and bus limitations compared to later multi-core architectures, I dunno... it's been a good 'ol reliable (and quite fast) workhorse for me (if a bit hot and noisy).
TDP on your Pentium D's is a whopping 130W! Intel quote 95W for the Pentium D 945 model. I ended up replacing the cooler on mine with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which was a lot quieter and moved more heat.

I'm not expecting to have to pinch the 750W PSU out of the K6-2 system as power consumption in the build that's replacing the Pentium D will probably be less than it currently is.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

Jades

#594 Post by Jades »

The final HardInfo report from Merlin III, the Pentium D 3.4GHz setup, can be seen at http://www.jades.org/comps/hir_mer3_593fl.html - the version of Puppy that it's running as I type this is a full of Slacko 5.9.3. It runs very nicely on it other than the problem with lp and ppdev not being loaded on boot.

The main family PC has always been called Merlin. Merlin I was an AMD K6-III system, can't remember the clock speed now. This was a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster of a system as it was partly built from spare parts left over from my original Pentium 120 machine, including the AT format case.

Merlin II was a new-build system. CPU was an AMD Athlon XP 1800+. It was a pretty nice system in its day. It was later radically rebuilt into Merlin III, with a good number of parts being reused. The mainboard CPU, and RAM are in a cardboard box in my room. The hard drive eventually ended up in Zhaan, my K6-2 system.

Merlin III is the current incarnation, and reused a lot of the parts from Merlin II including the drives, case, graphics card, peripherals and OS license. It's on its third graphics card and third PSU. A combination of increasing obsolescence for its primary gaming function and increasing unreliability is why it's being upgraded.

Puppy performance on Merlin III has generally been excellent, with the odd quirk here and there popping up in testing - often relating to the WN111v2 wireless dongle rather than the main system.

Of the other incarnations, they would probably all have ran Puppy of some description or other. The K6-III may have had to stick with Wary 5.5 as the K6-2 500 has due to lack of the cmov instruction. IIRC James C has reported success with Slacko 593 on an Athlon XP system.

[Edit: Fixed typo on URL for report]

rcrsn51

#595 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:Please note that all the 16x16 icons will eventually be removed from woof.
The following apps now have 48x48 PNG icons in /usr/share/pixmaps.

PeasyPrint
PeasyScale
PeasyPDF
PeasyPort
YASSM
Peasyscan
PeasyGlue

starhawk

#596 Post by starhawk »

@ Sage -- the 'outhouses' thing is a word filter to deal with spam that happens. Some scam artists claiming to be British-based (I've been to Britain a few times 'on holiday' as you folks would say, and I find it hard to believe you'd let such folks in your country) offer makeovers for the cooking-room in one's house.

@ Sage, Jades -- Dell tends to put the temperature sensor for the CPU in the *fan*. (The method by which P4 Dells are cooled is absolutely horrid, BTW -- it hardly works at all!) If you look at a Dell fan from the P4 era, you'll see a little green blob. It's a device called a "thermistor" which (generally) allows more current through, the hotter it gets. Fun fact: if you replace the thermistor with a paperclip or a bit of wire, the fan will run full tilt constantly. You'll hear it on the other side of town (lol) -- but they're amazingly powerful fans if you can stand the racket...

EDIT: oh -- an easy way of fixing the fan to run at full tilt, clip the leads flush with the green blob, so that you have two wire posts, slip a motherboard (etc) jumper on there, and tape it securely. I've done this, it works pretty well as long as the jumper doesn't rattle loose (hence the tape)...

Volhout

Boot problem on DELL E6430 - no resolution yet

#597 Post by Volhout »

Tried Pendive Linux to create a stick with Slacko 5.9.3:
- during boot, no SFS found, dropping out of boot

Tried Unetbootin to creata a USB stick with 5.9.3:
- during boot, no SFS found, dropping out of boot

I hope my CD's arrive soon, so I can test this machine on CD boot with 5.9.3.

P.S. for completeness: no problem USB booting 5.9.3 on EeePC. The Dell E6430 also USB boots Slacko 5.6 and older. Did not try 5.7 on it.

SFR

powerapplet_tray

#598 Post by SFR »

Here's my proposal for a couple of improvements to powerapplet_tray.

I used this source as a base (the latest I could find):
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/so ... .6.tar.bz2
however I see that there's newer version compiled:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -i486s.pet
Is its source available somewhere?

First change is one of those implemented by Pemasu here (wmpoweroff if battery <5%), however I didn't include Xdialog pop-up window (if battery <10%).
IMO this should have been done a long time ago - it's simply wrong to let the laptop perform hard power off due to emptied battery.

Second change is aesthetic: added '-font monospace -fontsize bold' options to yaf-splash, what makes that the displayed info about battery is properly formatted.

I also increased opacity a bit (0.5 -> 0.75) for .svg icons to make them more vivid and contrasting against panel's background.

Icons' paths has been changed from /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/ to /usr/share/powerapplet/ as it is the latest compiled version.

Source attached.

Greetings!
Attachments
powerapplet_tray-2.6.1.tar.bz2
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mcewanw

New version pAVrecord (9.0.5) uploaded

#599 Post by mcewanw »

Includes significantly improved screencast and video encode capability

Find it at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 582#656582

William
github mcewanw

bigpup

#600 Post by bigpup »

OpenSSL Security Advisory [6 Aug 2014]
http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140806.txt

The update is already listed in Slacko 5.7 Updates Manager.

openssl 1.0.1i
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

BUu

slacko

#601 Post by BUu »

everything seems to be going well so far in RAM
'm new to Puppy Linux
Kernel TahrPup 666philb is this possible?
peace
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 1997 times

Fishy

ISO Burner

#602 Post by Fishy »

ill Burniso2cd work in Slacko 5.9.3? If it does where in the repositories will I find the pet. Pburn has never worked for me (always asks for the image to be unpacked and then the dvd never works). I hope to see burniso2cd in the final release of Slacko 6.0 it is simple and always works for me.

I had to boot an old 5.3.3 disk to use it. Guess 5.9.3 is working so well that my copy of 5.7 got tossed when my wife was cleaning. LOL

rcrsn51

Re: ISO Burner

#603 Post by rcrsn51 »

Fishy wrote:ill Burniso2cd work in Slacko 5.9.3?
I believe that burniso2cd is now a "hidden" menu item. There is a tool somewhere in the menus to unhide it.

Or you can get PeasyDisc. It used to be in woof-built Puppies, but got removed.

Fishy

Burniso2cd

#604 Post by Fishy »

Thank you, thank you for pointing out that this app was still there. I haven't had to ever use menu-editor in all the years of Puppy use. It just works. I cringe when I have to turn on wife's window box. :lol:

zigbert

Re: ISO Burner

#605 Post by zigbert »

Fishy wrote:Pburn has never worked for me (always asks for the image to be unpacked and then the dvd never works).
If you want to help out making pBurn better, I am very interested in more detailed info like
- did you use a blank disc or is it a DVD-RW? If RW, did you blank it first or did you let pBurn set it to overwrite mode? (you reached the 'Inserted disc is not blank' dialog)
- did pBurn report success (finish-dialog) or error (error-dialog)? Can you show the logfile?

If burniso2CD makes it, there is no reason for pBurn not to do so. - they share the code for burning iso-images.

Sigmund