slacko-6.0 beta 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bobc

Installed Slacko 5.9.3 on my Dell Inspiron 8100 with nvidia

#766 Post by bobc »

I can't get the video to work for the life of me. I spent 5 hrs last night digging for clues and trying all sorts of boot parameters.

That xorgwizard is probably nice to have most of the time, but for me it was an obstacle because I couldn't just try not having an xorg.conf which normally works.

The video card in the laptop is a nVidia Geforce2 Go with 32 mb of memory. I can get it to do 1600x1200x16 but its fuzzy and snowy looking and very hard to read.

I am able to get it to do 1024x768 very nicely, but of course its not useful. I had the same problem with antiX 13.2 with a 3.7.10 kernel, and with that one I had to go back to a 3.2.50 kernel and install the proprietary nvidia drivers to get it to work.

I have tried
vga=796
nomodeset
nouveau.modeset=0
video=1600x1200-16@60
video=LVDS-1:1600x1200-16@60
xdrvr=nouveau xres=1600x1200

The machine works with Quirky Tahr 6.0.5, Precise 5.7.1, Slacko 5.7.0, and Slackware 14.1 and SliTaz 5.0 and Slackel 6.02.

Any suggestions how to fix it? Other that that, from what I saw, I like it a lot.

PS: I also tried using the 3.10.32 kernel from Slacko 5.7.0 but got even worse corrupted video, same as if I tried vga=796 with the kernel from 5.9.3, so I don't think the answer is in what kernel is running

rufwoof

#767 Post by rufwoof »

Just cosmetics so far - otherwise great (except I can't get a driver for my Nvidia GeForce to download/install from nvidia (downloads, but then complains its the wrong version)).

Downloaded Slacko 6 beta 2, extracted iso to a folder and set grub to boot and .... black screen, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to drop to command line, xorgwizard .... rebooted to create save file and into desktop ok, with sound up and running, network a single/couple of clicks to get running (ethernet).

Cosmetic 1 - For those of us who like their tray set at TALLEST, the drive names are always hidden. Woof really needs to be updated to adjust /etc/eventmanager setting from 64 to 80 (near the bottom of the code) as that's common to all/most puppy's.

For this Puppy, despite setting global font size to the max 108, its still not that large.

Default/initial terminal text is nigh on unreadable for me

Likely me, but compared to Barry and others I must be colour blind, despite having been tested as not being so in my younger years. Choice of themes and colour schemes always seem rather dark IMO - difficult for these old antique eyes to see through.

Otherwise nice, except the slowness of graphics.

Like how the Firefox ESR has Youtube HTML5 video display already up and running rather than having to be added in as a extension. Also really like the new savefile style where the size = partition size.

Great stuff Micko.

EDIT : mplayer, needs a /root/,mplayer/config entry of zoom=1.(again a woof thing really as commonly applies to all puppy's).otherwise when you scale the window or switch to full screen the video size remains the same (small).

EDIT2 : due to slow graphics I thought I'd try different settings for the windows move and resize (outline and opaque), but the settings don't seem to stick (menu, desktop, puppy desktop manager, windows - move and resize options)

When I edited /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal to change from opaque to outline ,,,, i.e. changing opaque to outline in the following (example) extract...

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode coordinates="off">opaque</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode coordinates="off">opaque</ResizeMode>

... it worked for some windows (terminal) but not others (partview - which remained opaque move)

EDIT3. Another cosmetic PartView difficult to read - another for woof as again common across puppy's - suggest something like http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 500#770500

artsown

#768 Post by artsown »

I purchased a new Microsoft Lx 3000 head set (USB) for only $6.00
at a flea market. As expected, it worked right off on Windows XP.
To my amazement it also worked right off on Slacko 5,9.3. No need
to install Skype or anything. I'm impressed! :)

Art

rufwoof

#769 Post by rufwoof »

On my frugal slacko 6b2 there's a lot of judder/slowness when doing the likes of ROX filer viewing a large directory and scrolling up/down (i.e. bin)

If I reform the initrd however - it flies (well runs as 'normal')

i.e. I created a directory beneath the puppy files and

cd newdir
zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -id
find | cpio -o -H newc | lzop -c1 >../initrd.lzo

and then setting grub4dos to point to that initrd.lzo instead of initrd.gz and rebooting .... and things are great.

What inspired me to do that was remastering was dead (painfully) slow and my thiinking was that of the kernel decompressing multiple times within a loop of some kind. By luck or skill it seems to work.

I haven't tried using a non compressed initrd - but guess that might work (fix) the same. Might also be worth trying out a lower level of compression in remasterpup2 so that puppy sfs and zdrv are also less prone to zlib loop issues.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(65.85 KiB) Downloaded 1907 times
Screenshot.jpg
(66.13 KiB) Downloaded 1895 times

rufwoof

#770 Post by rufwoof »

As of Kernel 3.11 lz4 compression is included within the kernel. Tests I've seen/made indicate that lzop compression whilst not reducing the filesize down as much as gzip/xz, decompresses around 3 times quicker. i.e. typically 20% larger file size, but decompresses that 3 times quicker for a overall 2x approx benefit in speed.

LZ4 however decompresses around 3 times quicker than LZOP whilst compressing to around similar levels i.e. around 10x faster than gzip !!!

I've compiled LZ4 standalone, tried compiling a mksquashfs with LZ4 incorporated (I already have one that includes gzip, xz and lzop) - but with no luck, and normally run with a 3.10 kernel, so can't test out lz4 kernel handling. I tried today to compile a 3.18 kernel and did so ok, but couldn't get it to work (boot) my pup. Of the others I've seen none seem to have lz4 included in the kernel, however that would seem the way ahead.

LZ4 standalone is blisteringly fast at decompressing and highly impressive. Seeing some of that in the kernel (initrd.lz4 and puppy sfs created with a lz4 mksquashfs) would also be impressive.

rufwoof

#771 Post by rufwoof »

Unsquashed puppy sfs and merged unsquashed zdrv into that. Reformed a new puppy sfs using lzop level 1 compression and then dropped that into initrd (also compressed that using lzop level 1). Resulting file around 250MB but loads quickly.

Dropped the vmlinuz and that initrd.lzo into my normal puppy boxes PXE server and PXE net booted that from a Windows box and it started up ok, but no network cards/connections identified (probably due to my crude method of merging zdrv into puppy and just repeatedly clicking yes whenever a prompt came up). Otherwise seemed ok from a cursory 5 minute glance.

All running ni ram with no hard disks touched/mounted.
Attachments
PXE_booted_screenshot.jpg
(56.53 KiB) Downloaded 1883 times

sc0ttman

#772 Post by sc0ttman »

After I run this:

insmod joydev
insmod hid
insmod input

I get this:

insmod: ERROR: could not load module joydev: No such file or directory
insmod: ERROR: could not load module hid: No such file or directory
insmod: ERROR: could not load module input: No such file or directory

What am i doing wrong? Or are the modules broken/not included?

Specifically I am trying to get a PS2 gamepad adapter to be recognised ...

Thanks.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

sszindian

Slacko-6.0 beta 2

#773 Post by sszindian »

Slacko-6.0 beta 2

For those who haven't tried in earnest this distro... you're missing a very very nice program.

Been using it a lot since it's introduction and the only problem (that I would call major) is the default PDF viewer, it didn't display all graphics properly for me so I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader .sfs and that took care of that!

I run all the programs in this distro that I run in Slacko-5.7 and they all work the same although 6.0 is without doubt a faster more responsive program.

Unless there is something wrong that I haven't found in testing the programs that I use on a daily basis, I'd have to say this is ready for the 'Big Time Release'!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
Desktop-B.jpg
(55.02 KiB) Downloaded 938 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

B.K. Johnson

#774 Post by B.K. Johnson »

sszindian wrote:
Slacko-6.0 beta 2

For those who haven't tried in earnest this distro... you're missing a very very nice program.
Happy for your success and pleasure.
Not for me though. Despite public posts and several PPMs, the big cheese didn't acknowlrdge my existence. :( So it's off my "Try List" :cry: I still use 5,7 occasionally.

________________________________________________-
B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

greengeek

#775 Post by greengeek »

B.K. Johnson wrote: Despite public posts and several PPMs, the big cheese didn't acknowlrdge my existence. :( So it's off my "Try List"
I think 01micko is off the grid at the moment, but there is still help available from others. Might be worth posting some of the problems again to see if the current userbase can offer some assistance (I looked back about 10 pages and couldnt find your posts so maybe it's worth another go now). Could you link to one of the older posts and see if anyone has any suggestions?

B.K. Johnson

#776 Post by B.K. Johnson »

greengeek
I really appreciate your response. It does confirm the "helpfullness" of the community.

Bear in mind that this was either with 5.9.3 or 6.0 beta so it may have been fixed since. I am not going to go back to find the post(s). I'll just repeat what it was all about here and now,
I need ndiswrapper to be properly installed in puppies so OOTB I can use the Windows wi-fi drivers to get connected. This failure has been noted in several puppies including tahrpup-6.0, LXpup(??) and most recently Carolina 1.3, In each case, my post advising of same have been promptly addressed with a pet. I am grateful to OscarTalks, Peebee, 666philb and Geoffrey..

Another pet specific to Slacko-6 and whatever its kernel may get me to try Slacko-6??, but the big quesrtion is why is it necessary for auxillay, pets repeatedly.. 666philb tahrpup-6.0.2 worked OOTB after missing in v8.0. Can't the devs come togrther on this?

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

peebee

#777 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:greengeek
I really appreciate your response. It does confirm the "helpfullness" of the community.

Bear in mind that this was either with 5.9.3 or 6.0 beta so it may have been fixed since. I am not going to go back to find the post(s). I'll just repeat what it was all about here and now,
I need ndiswrapper to be properly installed in puppies so OOTB I can use the Windows wi-fi drivers to get connected. This failure has been noted in several puppies including tahrpup-6.0, LXpup(??) and most recently Carolina 1.3, In each case, my post advising of same have been promptly addressed with a pet. I am grateful to OscarTalks, Peebee, 666philb and Geoffrey..

Another pet specific to Slacko-6 and whatever its kernel may get me to try Slacko-6??, but the big quesrtion is why is it necessary for auxillay, pets repeatedly.. 666philb tahrpup-6.0.2 worked OOTB after missing in v8.0. Can't the devs come togrther on this?

B.K. Johnson
The problem is that ndiswrapper is kernel specific - it therefore has to be compiled specifically for the kernel in use. That further means that the latest source must be available (in Woof-CE???).

A quick look in /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages shows that Slacko6Beta2 (and therefore LxPup) has ndiswrapper-3090-w5 which does sound rather old - wary5 vintage - so I suspect that that is the source available to "devs" in Woof-CE.

TahrPup6.0.2 by contrast has:
ndiswrapper-common_1.59-2
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.59-2

A further quick search at pkgs.org shows that the versions for Slackware14.1 are for different kernels than used in Slacko6Beta2 so they can't be used.

It needs somebody who needs ndiswrapper (I don't - and I can't test) to locate the sources and compile it in Slacko6Beta2.

The source to try seems to be:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswra ... z/download

I hope this explains the complications of keeping this piece of increasingly redundant(???) bit of software up to date. I can't find a forum thread devoted to ndiswrapper (just lots of problem reports) so I think this probably indicates the level of interest.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#778 Post by rcrsn51 »

@B.K. Johnson: Here is the ndiswrapper kernel module for Slacko 593 k3.4.94.

Please test and report back.
Attachments
ndiswrapper_1.58_slacko_593-k3.4.94.pet
(82.01 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

B.K. Johnson

#779 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@rcrsn51

Thanks for trying to help. I am not trying to run 5.9.3 now. I mentioned it to put the time frame in context. I have long ago trashed Slacko-5.9.3. No use keeping what didn't work or not likely to work. I kept and occasionally use 5.7 but I moved on to tahrpup after trashing. Sorry if this confusion made you waste your time.

If you think this module should work in Slacko-5.0b2 (correct kernel) or you link me to one specifically with the kernel used in Slacko-6.0.b2, I will download the distro, the ndiswrapper you link me to and test.

Again, apologies if I wasted your time, I did not mean to.

peebee

#780 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:@rcrsn51

Thanks for trying to help. I am not trying to run 5.9.3 now. I mentioned it to put the time frame in context. I have long ago trashed Slacko-5.9.3. No use keeping what didn't work or not likely to work. I kept and occasionally use 5.7 but I moved on to tahrpup after trashing. Sorry if this confusion made you waste your time.

If you think this module should work in Slacko-5.0b2 (correct kernel) or you link me to one specifically with the kernel used in Slacko-6.0.b2, I will download the distro, the ndiswrapper you link me to and test.

Again, apologies if I wasted your time, I did not mean to.

If BK can test the .pet I'd be happy to include it in the next non-pae LxPup (although I do also really need a 3.17.7 version for the pae variant to be consistent - and I may not stick with 3.17.7 if a later kernel becomes available - for instance 666philb recently issued his vividpup build with 3.18.8 ).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

B.K. Johnson

#781 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
I have a copy of the 5.9.3.iso and have downloaded @rcrsn51's ndiswrapper pet.
I'll test later tonight and report.
Thanks for your interest

B.K. Johnson

#782 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
The pet installed in 5.9.3 OK and I was able to get on-line with Firefox.
I did nothing else.

___________________________-
B.K. Johnson

jamesbond

#783 Post by jamesbond »

@01micko - Slacko6 5.9.3 will become 32bit-slacko6.sfs, the new 32-bit compatibility library for Fatdog64 700.

Thanks.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Pelo

alsamixer and retrovol

#784 Post by Pelo »

Micro and capture are not activated whan whe change the settings in alsamixer, both should fit together, no ?
Attachments
capture.png
(22.6 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times

musher0

Re: alsamixer and retrovol

#785 Post by musher0 »

Pelo wrote:Micro and capture are not activated whan whe change
the settings in alsamixer, both should fit together, no ?
Hi, pelo.

No, microphone and capture are two separate things.

The microphone slider is for when you use a microphone, i.e. when you
are going to dictate something to your secretary, or when you want to
speak to someone over an Internet chat.

The capture slider is for when you record a song, for ex., that is playing
in mplayer, or through a flux stream (from Internet radio, for ex.),
to a separate sound file that you want to keep for your own personal use.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)