slacko-6.0 beta 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nubc

#796 Post by nubc »

I don't have a Home folder, so I downloaded FF 39.0 to a new folder named 'FF' in the opt directory, as suggested. I extracted the tarball to this folder, which generated a folder named 'Firefox'. I opened the 'Firefox' folder to find an executable named Firefox, clicked it, and got Firefox ESR 24.6.0, the old version that comes standard on Slacko 5.9.3.

Question: Why is the team struggling to get this version out, when it has a browser that is already recognized as too old? In the past, I spent 2 weeks trying to manually install a newer Seamonkey on an older Puppy version. Then when I presented the documentation, one of the old saws pointed out an easier, presumably better, way. So here we are, with a beta of the newest Slacko, and the first task is manually installing a newer version of Firefox. Shouldn't the browser have a higher priority than this, in a brand new version of Slacko, moving from 5.x to 6.x?

Semme

#797 Post by Semme »

Wanna see 39? Rename the hidden Firefox folder in your /root directory, then refire the new binary.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#798 Post by nubc »

Nope, another Firefox folder was generated in the hidden .mozilla directory. Matter of fact, I also renamed the .mozilla folder, and another .mozilla directory was generated in root. Still opens FF ESR 24.6.0. Haven't seen FF 39.0 yet.

Semme

#799 Post by Semme »

Then there's something I don't know about.
Last edited by Semme on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#800 Post by nubc »

Semme wrote:How are you launching the one in /opt?

Single left click on gear symbol named firefox. I also tried to open it from command line, same result.

Semme

#801 Post by Semme »

Correct. This is where it creates its *settings* folder.. In the current users home (echo $HOME) directory.
Another Firefox folder was generated in the hidden .mozilla directory. Matter of fact, I also renamed the .mozilla folder, and another .mozilla directory was generated in root.
With the default FF installed to /usr/lib, the command line calls the symlinked binary from /usr/bin.

Why the new guy doesn't launch when you've renamed the settings folder in /root?

I not only don't understand, but I can't recreate what's happening.

mikeslr

LiveCD -- updating firefox & flash without a SaveFile

#802 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nubc,

Your running a LiveCD. No Home Partition = No SaveFile/Folder. When you bootup your READ-ONLY files are read into RAM. On shutdown/reboot whatever is in RAM is cleared. You can change what's in RAM, but without a SaveFile, those changes aren't permanent unless you create a SaveFile and Save to it, or Remaster. Consequently, your firefox and flash will remain the same as are on your CD.

Until then, all you can do is install pets (which will be installed into RAM) and restart X to test them.

If you want to continue to run as a LiveCD without a SaveFile, suggest you

Create SaveFile so you can test everything and recover from mistakes, problems, etc. then

(a) browse to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and delete libflashplayer.so

(b) install the latest flash from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 211#855211

(c1) Backup any bookmarks
(c2) Menu>Setup>Remove Builtins > Scroll down & select firefox.
(c3) Browse to /root, show "hidden files". Delete .mozilla folder. Note the 'dot'.

(d) download shinobar's portable-firefox, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945, and unpack it in /opt, registering it from there.
[Portable-firefox will download the latest version. Then It will set itself up, but Menu>Internet>firefox may not have an icon. Copy an appropriate icon to /usr/share/pixmaps and edit /usr/share/applications/firefox-portable so that its icon argument points there].

/opt is not on Puppy's path. An executable there have to be symlinked to a location on the path, such as /usr/bin, usr/local/bin/ or /root/my-applications/bin. Portable-firefox can be run from anywhere because when you register it, it creates the necessary symlink, as well as writing a desktop file to /usr/share/application.

An alternative to using portable firefox is to find and install any recent firefox pet. Then, from its menu, click HELP, About Firefox and Check for Update. The most current version will be installed. I don't think you can do that with the firefox-ESR version 01micko built in.

Test everything. When working. remaster.

For consideration: since you're running via a LiveCD, I would assume that internet security is a high priority. Since your "upgrades" require you go online to test them while employing a SaveFile, I suggest that you install shinobar's latest PupSaveConfig, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8d9#457081 and then apply the instructions provided by jpeps. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326.

Eliminating the Automatic Save will prevent any mistakes or junk you pickup while on the internet from being Saved to your SaveFile. [You may discover that a LiveCD isn't essential. :)]. Always install new pets after on a fresh reboot, before doing anything else, and Save immediately. Don't manually Save after you've browsed anywhere you don't entirely trust.

Other thoughts: Banksy3 is a remaster of Slacko 5.6, specifically designed for providing a safe internet environment. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 663#813562

Puli 6.0,2 has the same objective but is based on Tarhpup 6.0.2, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 340#816340

Banksy3 includes a recent firefox. Puli, I think, includes Chromium, not firefox. Both have a mechanisms for adding any pet without having to create a SaveFile. Puli requires a computer with more resources than Banksy3.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 15:59, edited 5 times in total.

Billtoo

slacko-6.0 beta 2

#803 Post by Billtoo »

On my frugal install of Slacko-6.0 beta 2 I updated the puppy package
manager,then installed the newest Firefox + openssl.

Firefox works fine.
Attachments
firefox.jpg
(49.36 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

Semme

#804 Post by Semme »

The latest ESR is 38.1. I'm amazed how many regulars still don't now how to perform a manual, clean install.

Billtoo

#805 Post by Billtoo »

Semme wrote:The latest ESR is 38.1. I'm amazed how many regulars still don't now how to perform a manual, clean install.
31.8.0 is the one that Slackware 14.1 is using.
Attachments
ppm1.jpg
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
ppm2.jpg
(30.9 KiB) Downloaded 515 times

Billtoo

slacko-6.0 beta 2

#806 Post by Billtoo »

The newest Firefox and Palemoon browsers can be run in
Slacko-6.0-beta2 by downloading the firefox-39.0.tar.bz2 +
palemoon-25.5.0.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 and unpacking the archive.
Then drag the firefox.bin to the desktop,right click on it and set the
icon for it.
Same for Palemoon.

I like Qupzilla as well so I downloaded the latest snapshot source
code and compiled that (yesterday), it has other dependecies that need
to be installed before compiling.
Attachments
qupzilla-1.8.6.jpg
(41.56 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
browsers2.jpg
(84.41 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

nubc

#807 Post by nubc »

I rebooted, creating a savefile. When I got back to Desktop, I clicked the FF 39.0 executable in /opt, and a new Firefox appeared. Problem is, the language is Maori, and the Welcome screen is in French, "De nous a vous". How did this happen? I can find my way through maybe 10 languages, but Maori is not one of them. BTW, "reo" is Maori for "language." Should I download another FF, or is this one salvageable?

I got a problem with the scroll bar. I wish it could be one way or the other. The scroll bar in Slacko 5.5 is white/light on a gray background, and the scroll bar turns yellow with a mouseover. Slacko 5.9.3 has a dark gray scroll bar against a lighter gray background, which background graduates to darker gray toward the bottom of the slot. The scroll bar also gradually gets darker towards the bottom end. The top and bottom ends of the scroll bar are straight horizontal lines, ambiguous, whereas convex curvatures would clearly define the moving bar. Depending on the size and location of the scroll bar, it's sometimes difficult to know where the movable scrollbar is, such that one must click and drag randomly to see what moves. Notice that the light/dark scheme of Slacko 5.9.3 is the reverse of Slacko 5.5. I found the scheme of Slacko 5.5 to be clear and satisfactory, but I can't say the same for the light/dark scheme in Slacko 5.9.3.
Last edited by nubc on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 03:30, edited 6 times in total.

Semme

#808 Post by Semme »

Surely you can choose the right one >> ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

nubc

#809 Post by nubc »

Now, I have US English FF installed to /opt, assigned a FF icon to the desktop link. Seems to be working well. However, I upgraded PPM and still do not see FF ESR 31.8. Is this package a DEV package? Do I need udev?

@mikeslr
Appreciate your timely advice on banking, as my bank has refused the browser on Slacko 5.5. I was in a bind to get something done, so I reluctantly used a Windows box to do the deed. Hopefully, I'll wipe that Windows box before it gets in the wrong hands.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#810 Post by Billtoo »

nubc wrote:Now, I have US English FF installed to /opt, assigned a FF icon to the desktop link. Seems to be working well. However, I upgraded PPM and still do not see FF ESR 31.8. Is this package a DEV package? Do I need udev?
After you update puppy package manager you need to exit it, then start up PPM again and search for firefox.

nubc

#811 Post by nubc »

For some reason, all the browser icons are now calling FF 39.0, so I had better not upgrade default FF ESR 24.6.0. No problema.

When remastering the live CD, how long does it take to copy files from CD to temporary work space? I waited 15 minutes and gave up. But when I tried to close out, the remaster program wanted to proceed as if the file copying was complete.

Semme

#812 Post by Semme »

You set the icon from where?

mikeslr

Remastering -- How long

#813 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nubc,

It's been over a year, maybe two, since I used Remaster. And I'm at that stage of life where events of my childhood are clear, the details concerning the problems I'm working on at the moment are clear, but things between the two are "somewhere in that ball park" requiring me to refresh my recollection and concentrate.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I frequently mention the shinobar (PupSessionConfig pet) and Jpeps (Remove Automatic Save Instructions) combination. Sitting behind two firewalls (my Router's and Puppy's) and controlling what gets into the only Read-Write SFS which is read into RAM on bootup, I'm reasonably comfortable that at least on bootup there's nothing then on my system which will result in sensitive data being obtained by hackers.

Exploring new Pups as they are published, they and their SaveFiles, tend to get supplanted by new Pups and their SaveFiles. And with reasonable confidence in the integrity of my SaveFiles, copying Pups and SaveFiles from one computer to another is just easier than remastering. So it's been a while.

This is the "ballpark" I remember or at least think I do.

The time remastering takes is at least in part dependent on how fast your CPU operates. Another factor is how much RAM your computer has, as every change must first take place in RAM before it can be written to "Storage".

If I recall correctly, Remastering is one of those procedures which must be performed in a Linux Formatted environment. [Not sure; all my computers have at least one Linux formatted partition where I do actual work]. In your case, that means within your SaveFile.

The Slacko 6 ISO was 168 Mb, but you're installing a firefox which is larger than the original. So let's figure your custom.ISO will be about 200 Mb; maybe slightly smaller but its safer to have more space than less space needed.

And, again if I recall correctly, the "work-space" has to be 3 times the size of the target ISO. So you'll need a SaveFile of at least 600 mb.

I could be wrong. But maybe your remaster didn't finish because you didn't provide sufficient work-space.

Considering both the SaveFile/Work-space and the resulting "200 Mb" ISO are only going to be on the computer temporarily --until you've burned the CD/DVD and perhaps tested it*-- if your computer has the space for a 750 Mb SaveFile (plus the resulting 200 mb ISO), I'd use one that size.

*When Remastering finishes, it doesn't delete the Build Files. Theoretically, after testing your custom ISO you can modify those files and create a different ISO. But I've always deleted the Build Files and started "from scratch".

One other thing about remastering, and the reason I've tended to avoid doing it: Read the instructions carefully as they are displayed. This short thread may help, especially gehlm's second post. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ce8c8a4c2e

Since your custom ISO will include everything on your system at the time of remastering, you'll probably want to delete browser-caches, temporary files, and especially sensitive data before starting Remaster.

That's my ball-park recollection. So read the instructions carefully. I certainly would.

Hope this helps,

mikesLr

nubc

#814 Post by nubc »

location of browser icons:
/opt/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default

drag and drop 'default48.png' in 'Set icon' dialog

Firefox is persistently warning me to update Adobe Flash plug-in, directing me to
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/pluginche ... eck-update
The above link downloads a tarball from Adobe website. Should I extract this software? Or wait for a .pet?

EDIT: I extracted the software, obtained a newer libflashplayer.so which I substituted for same in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Seems to have stopped the warnings about an old flash player plugin.
Attachments
puppy222E45_600.jpg
(61.22 KiB) Downloaded 1719 times
Last edited by nubc on Sat 25 Jul 2015, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

extracting libflashplayer.so

#815 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nubc,

Right. I should have thought of that. :oops: Beats having to wait for someone to publish a pet. :)

For future reference though: Rename the old libflashplayer.so to something like "oldlibflashplayer.so" rather than deleting. Just in case: It's a "the Devil you know" kind of thing.

mikesLr