Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 16:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Installing Canon PIXMA MX882 Using CUPS 1.4.8
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count_1  
vmiranda

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun 2014, 02:39    Post_subject:  Installing Canon PIXMA MX882 Using CUPS 1.4.8
Sub_title: Installing Canon PIXMA MX882 in Puppy Linux 5.7.1 Retro Usiing CUPS 1.4.8

I need help installing my Canon PIXMA MX882 network printer using the pre-installed CUPS 1.4.8 in Puppy Linux Retro 5.7.1 (Full Install) on my Gateway Solo 9100 (Pentium II 300 MHz with 160 Mb Memory), which connects to my network and internet via my Linksys WPC54G V3 PCMCIA Wireless Adapter.

From the Setup Menu, I click on the CUPS Printer Wizard, I then press the “Yes” button on the Xdialog question that shows up (“Do you want to add a new printer?”), which takes me to the ”Home” tab at “localhost:631” in the Opera web browser. I then press the “Add Printer” button in the “Administration” tab, which takes me to the “Add Printer Screen” with options to select either "Local Printers" (LPT #1, SCSI Printer or pdf writer) or "Discovered Network Printers", which has no options to select since CUPS would not detect my Canon printer (Also note that CUPS would not detect it through the “Find New Printers” button in the “Administration” tab). The same screen also offers the following options to select under “Other Network Printers”:

• Internet Printing Protocol (http)
• Internet printing Protocol (ipp)
• LPD/LPR Host or Printer
• AppSocket/HP jetDirect
• Windows Printer Via SAMBA (smbclient)
• Backend Error Handler
• Windows Printer using smbclient

Selecting any of the latter options above and pressing the “Continue” button takes you to a screen requiring you to enter the correct “URI” for your printer in a “Connection:” field.

Can someone help me choose which of the displayed options above to select and the correct “URI” (whatever that means) for my printer?

I would greatly appreciate your help, and please explain as simple as possible since I have never used Linux before (I have always been a Microsoft Windows user), and I have absolutely no knowledge of its terminology, which I find extremely confusing and very difficult to understand.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count_1  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum