How to upgrade Puppy for Windows 1.0.7 to latest Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ajfan

How to upgrade Puppy for Windows 1.0.7 to latest Puppy?

#1 Post by ajfan »

What is the best way to upgrade? My computer is a Toshiba Satellite 2800-s202 PIII machine with 384 mb RAM and 10meg hard drive. Currently it runs windows 98 and Puppy 1.07 installed via the Puppy for Windows "script".

I would like to upgrade to more current version of Puppy; however, I do not get e-mail response from the creator of Puppy for Windows. Has anyone done this yet?

My limitations:
1. My CD drive is broken so I can not boot from CD.
2. My computer is too old to boot from usb.

This is why I downloaded the Puppy for Windows file and installed that way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JaDy

#2 Post by JaDy »

I do not get e-mail response from the creator of Puppy for Windows. Has anyone done this yet?
That'd be me, if you're talking about PupWin98. Got a message from someone, maybe you. Here's my reply (I'm slow, forgive me):

> ... Thank you very much for creating this.
You're welcome.

> I would like to move to Puppy 2.0.x.
So would I.

> ... Is there a way to upgrade what I have now to that version?
Yes. Not yet, but I hope soon. Puppy version 2.xx is still a work in progress, not yet ready for production. It uses Linux 2.6.x while 1.x uses 2.4.x and it's been difficult getting everything to work. Our expectation is that Puppy 2.02 will be it, due out within days (or weeks).

> ... Are you still working with Puppy for Windows 98?
Yes. I read the Puppy blog, forums, wiki, etc. daily and respond to queries when I can be helpful. So, yes, I'm still working. Really looking forward to v2.02, hoping it's the one.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

if you wanted to try barry's pup2.01 iso i think it would happily co-exist with your existing pup1.07, both on fat32.

it's just a matter of downloading the iso, extracting vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_201.sfs files using an iso-extractor program, like winiso etc. as you already have an existing vmlinuz file, you would probably have to create a directory called say, pup201, & copy vmlinuz & initrd.gz to it, and copy pup_201.sfs to c:\.

now comes the booting part...i just had a look at JaDy's win98pup site, as i wasn't sure how he was booting pup on the 98 partition. as he's using grub.exe to boot pup1.07, you should be able to just add a few lines to menu.lst file, in order to give you the option of booting 2.01. like this:

title pup2.01
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/pup201/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,0)/pup201/initrd.gz

ajfan

Setting up 2.02 as 3rd option did not work

#4 Post by ajfan »

I copied the files from iso for 2.02 as you described (originally for 2.01) but I did not get the option to boot into it. Is there something I would need to do to the puppy.bat file also? It gives me the choice of w for windows or l for linux. I added the lines to menu.lst like you suggested only change being using pup202 as the directory instead of pup201.

pg99

#5 Post by pg99 »

you need to make another change to the menu.lst file. currently it has timeout 0 which means it doesn't wait at all it just boots the default linux straight away. so change that to, say, 10 (meaning 10 seconds) and that should give you time to choose the other puppy.

ajfan

It worked

#6 Post by ajfan »

Thank you for the timeout 10 tip. That is all I needed. Puppy 2.0.2 worked just fine on my notebook. The pcmcia card was recognized and I am able to use my cd/rw plugged into it now. Puppy 2.0.2 looks great so far.