Slacko64 - 64 bit 6.0 alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
JustGreg

#121 Post by JustGreg »

I guess for my system, this is alpha software. I have found after about 6 to 8 bootups, I start getting failures to completely boot into the desktop. This is the second installation that this has occurred.
Here is my hardware description:
-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory : 1634MB (198MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko64 Puppy - 5.9.1
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue Jan 13 18:39:19 2015

-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter : PC-Speaker - pcsp

-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
Video Bus
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
HP WMI hotkeys
Logitech USB Trackball
PC Speaker
HP Truevision HD
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad

-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>

-SCSI Disks-
ATA SanDisk SDSSDP06
hp DVDRAM GT50N

At first, I thought I may have done something to cause it. But, after the second installation, I have kept this install as clean as possible. When fatdog64 first came out, a similar problem occurred. It was tied to Raedon video. The present fatdog64, both version 700 and 631 do a early installation of the Radeon driver. I will try again, but, I think my experiment with slacko64 is at a end. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try, please provide them and I will try them out.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

chillinfart

#122 Post by chillinfart »

@01micko Which version or Mesa and libdrm are using Slacko64?

I.e. Slacko 5.7 had Mesa 8.04 and intel drivers sucks. I noticed enhancements after upgrading to version 9.2.5 (last supported) and 2.4.58, the same for radeon support (unable to boot on a AMD A-10 machine before that) .

slackfan

usable on MacBook?

#123 Post by slackfan »

Hi

I have an old MacBook (5 partitions, 1 UEFI, the rest Apple format, HD 160 GB, no room actually for Puppy in UEFI, all HD covered by Apple partitions).

Started with CD Slacko seems to run well.

How to install it and how to boot?

Kind regards

gcmartin

#124 Post by gcmartin »

I have used this distro. It is very nice and friendly. It navigates well for traditional PUP users with traditional structure and layouts on 64bit PCs with 1GB+ RAM.

LxPUP64 is a derivative of this distro with UEFI capability. I have been using LxPUP64 on the UEFI Dell I have. It works well with all the same traditional familiarities PUP users are accustomed.

And, this distro is built with SAMBA V4 which talks to all smb protocol devices ever built without issues.

As I understand, @01Micko, this distro's author, has a "builder" available in GIT for a WOOFCE generation of a more current SLACKO64, should that route be desired, also.

jangelelcangry

#125 Post by jangelelcangry »

I'm having a system breaking problem with usb booting which makes it impossible to boot (it doesn't happen on dvs or cds).
It says puppy_slacko64_5.9.1.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console. . .
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

cthisbear

#126 Post by cthisbear »

" I'm having a system breaking problem with usb booting "

Try another usb port.
A different PC.
Or another Puppy....it happens.

Chris.

gcmartin

#127 Post by gcmartin »

Across the forum we are seeing a rash of this "cannot find ****.sfs...". It is NOT limited to USBs, either. I wonder if this is a timing issue or due to something environmental in hardware. The message is the same. In this case the user can boot and run and everything in between via DVDs in PUP's use. But, in trying his frugal setup, the system's boot SFS cannot be found.

@Cthisbear shares what some of us have had to do in order to test these distros where this problem has surfaced.

I am willing to bet it is something common...but just what???

Maybe its time to start a thread just to bring this problem into a common location for developer/user assistance & resolution(s).

@jangelelcangry, did you use the desktop's Menu to build the USB for you, or was it done manually?

jangelelcangry

#128 Post by jangelelcangry »

cthisbear wrote:" I'm having a system breaking problem with usb booting "

Try another usb port.
A different PC.
Or another Puppy....it happens.

Chris.
1) i tried in another port same result
2) tried on a toshiba satelite c655 same
3) No. I'm too curious now :D .
btw i understand that this is an alpha build i can wait for another release without problems.
Thank you.
Last edited by jangelelcangry on Sun 19 Jul 2015, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

jangelelcangry

#129 Post by jangelelcangry »

gcmartin wrote: Maybe its time to start a thread just to bring this problem into a common location for developer/user assistance & resolution(s).

@jangelelcangry, did you use the desktop's Menu to build the USB for you, or was it done manually?
1) Good idea
2) what do you mean with desktop's menu? because I'm using either rufus or uui from windows 7 sp1 to make the usb disk.
if there any workaround available please let me know and thank you.

gcmartin

#130 Post by gcmartin »

Here's one approach that can be useful.
  1. Create a DVD from the ISO. Many Windows tools and methods exist to do so; Linux and Apple, too, do the same thing.
  2. Shut down a PC and boot from the DVD
  3. Fill in FirstRUN with localizations and set the hostname for your PC
  4. Hit OK and the PUP distro will proceed to desktop
You are, now, able to do EVERYTHING on this desktop that you can as if you had boot from the PC's HDD or its USB. ... everything.

If you want, or when you are ready, to set up a HDD or USB for booting Puppy Linux:
  1. In the bottom left, click the Menu button
  2. Next click Setup
  3. Next click Puppy Installer and follow its prompts to setup for subsequent booting from the unit you select.
If you are happy with running from DVD, you can continue using it and it will keep track of all you do thru its ability to save your work in each session you use it. I have had a DVD booted system where the same DVD is still in use for one distro I run 2 years later maintaining every sessions work ever done. That PC has operated flawlessly.

Hope this helps

jangelelcangry

#131 Post by jangelelcangry »

gcmartin wrote:Here's one approach that can be useful.
  1. Create a DVD from the ISO. Many Windows tools and methods exist to do so; Linux and Apple, too, do the same thing.
  2. Shut down a PC and boot from the DVD
  3. Fill in FirstRUN with localizations and set the hostname for your PC
  4. Hit OK and the PUP distro will proceed to desktop
You are, now, able to do EVERYTHING on this desktop that you can as if you had boot from the PC's HDD or its USB. ... everything.

If you want, or when you are ready, to set up a HDD or USB for booting Puppy Linux:
  1. In the bottom left, click the Menu button
  2. Next click Setup
  3. Next click Puppy Installer and follow its prompts to setup for subsequent booting from the unit you select.
If you are happy with running from DVD, you can continue using it and it will keep track of all you do thru its ability to save your work in each session you use it. I have had a DVD booted system where the same DVD is still in use for one distro I run 2 years later maintaining every sessions work ever done. That PC has operated flawlessly.

Hope this helps
Success! it boots from usb with universal installer btw you must select the mbr.bin option, press enter all the way and you're done. :D
however. i have a problem that xorg takes over a minute to show the desktop when selects 1080p but sometimes chooses 1280x1024 and starts faster.
Thank you.

LateAdopter

#132 Post by LateAdopter »

I think the underlying problem results from the fact that a typical BIOS only provides USB1, which is very slow by current standards. A BIOS does provide normal speed IDE/SATA.

A DVD read speed would normally be slower than USB. But when booting, using the BIOS, a USB device is much slower than a DVD using SATA.

01micko

#133 Post by 01micko »

Get Palemoon browser for slacko64-591

It runs as 'New Moon' as it is customised so it is a licence requirement to disable official branding.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jangelelcangry

#134 Post by jangelelcangry »

I have a problem when trying to downgrade the kernel to make my gpu compatible with slacko64.
when i type make install it says cannot find lilo and the funny thing is that Slacko Puppy uses grub by default.
maybe i should look for how to convert the kernel into an sfs file.
other than that, nightly(which is an unstable firefox release) stops working and the long xorg startup which is over a minute, the distro feels stable and fast.
any other info? let me know.

James C

#135 Post by James C »

Just built a new UEFI/Secure Boot box.....

Code: Select all

# inxi -Fff
System:    Host: puppypc6316 Kernel: 3.12.22 x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: JWM 2.2.0 Distro: Slacko64 Puppy Linux Linux 3.12.22 [ arch]
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 2500.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 clflush cmov cmp_legacy 
           constant_tsc cpb cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid 
           fma fma4 fpu fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx 
           mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc nopl npt nrip_save nx osvw pae pat pausefilter 
           pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp 
           rep_good sep skinit sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm tce topoext 
           tsc tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme wdt xop xsave 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices ] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.12.22
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (1.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 124 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 166.7/7888.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
Attachments
Slacko64.jpg
(60.05 KiB) Downloaded 765 times

mini-jaguar

#136 Post by mini-jaguar »

Works fine for me, but how do I get the firewall to automatically start up boot? It's always down when I boot, no matter what I did in the previous session.