Raspberry Pi Model "B+"

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
eccentric

Raspberry Pi Model "B+"

#1 Post by eccentric »

In the daily telegraph Monday 14 July. telegraph.co.uk.
new version of the Pie.......

Read the new spec.

Michael.

RSH

#2 Post by RSH »

The mean mean news on this telegraph.co.uk newspaper page is:
Women will be bishops after Synod vote

An overwhelming percentage of Synod members backed the change to allow women to be bishops in the Church of England, ending 40 years of wrangling
Finally, little boys aren't just being sexually abused by the old church-men, but in the future also by old church-women! :lol:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

eccentric

Raspberry Pie Model "B"

#3 Post by eccentric »

scroll down the page

James C

#4 Post by James C »

http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing- ... el-b-plus/
The Model B+ uses the same BCM2835 application processor as the Model B. It runs the same software, and still has 512MB RAM; but James and the team have made the following key improvements:

More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model B.
More USB. We now have 4 USB 2.0 ports, compared to 2 on the Model B, and better hotplug and overcurrent behaviour.
Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.
Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.
Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.
Neater form factor. We’ve aligned the USB connectors with the board edge, moved composite video onto the 3.5mm jack, and added four squarely-placed mounting holes.

solo

#5 Post by solo »

I can kind of understand keeping the same processor, but I feel they really missed the boat by not expanding the RAM.

don570

#6 Post by don570 »

I don't believe they were able to expand the memory because they mount
the memory on top of the processor chip. This is a technique that
cellular phones use to reduce the amount of space needed , however there
is a shortage of memory chips available.

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

[...] This is the same 700 MHz Broadcom chip with 512MB of RAM. There will not be a ‘magical, because you’re awesome’ RAM upgrade the original Model B saw early in production, either – there simply aren’t enough address pins in the SoC.
http://hackaday.com/2014/07/14/the-rasp ... ere-again/

Jades

#9 Post by Jades »

The BBC B+, which the new Pi is named after, had a whopping 64 kilobytes of RAM. It was the first computer my family owned. How time flies!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

wildsi

#10 Post by wildsi »

I'm wondering whether to try one of these little computers to replace my old desktop.

I run Wary 5.5 on a Pentium 4 based PC. It does pretty much every I need (edit videos using Avidemux, web browse and upload videos to Youtube with Sea Monkey, edit pictures with GIMP). Everything that is except play 1080p (or 720p) video.

I believe that the Raspberry Pi will play 1080p videos. However, will it be able to do the other things that I currently do on my PC? Also, will it run Wary Puppy?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Simon

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

My experience of RPi [1st model B]...
Using my 32 inch Sony Bravia smart-TV as a display.
Wanted to browse the web better than my smart TV would normally do.
Connected [either smart-TV or RPi] to my router using Powerline Adapters [excellent].
I've used 3 different OS's.
Puppy Linux.
XBMC
The version of Linux supplied by the manufacturer.

Only XBMC had text large enough to view from the other side of the living-room, for effectively using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Main drawback:
The RPi isn't adequately fast enough.
No competition for a normal PC.
I gave up using it.
Hoping to find something like it but fast enough.

dancytron

#12 Post by dancytron »

I think the quote about Puppy applies to the Raspberry Pi very well.

"Maybe the only thing wrong with Puppy/Raspberry Pi is that users' expectations tend to exceed the developer's intentions."

For playing video and running XBMC, it is fine because it is using the video acceleration.

Web surfing it is slow, but usable for many sites.

I can't imagine editing photos or videos on it. Just too slow for that.

wildsi

#13 Post by wildsi »

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I will get a Raspberry Pi just yet. I like the look of the Raspberry Pi alternatives though...

The other thing I've thought of doing is upgrading the graphics card to a Nvidia 210 (cost approx £20).

The current graphics card is ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR on a Intel Corporation 82801motherboard. Do you think it will work?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Six Clicks: More Linux single-board computers
Summary: There are many great Linux-powered single-board computers, starting with the new Raspberry Pi B+

wildsi

#15 Post by wildsi »

The cubietruck looks interesting. A better option than trying to upgrade my aging PC?