Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mouldy

Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter

#1 Post by mouldy »

I am moving to pay as you go mobile broadband from dialup. Cheapest way to do this for me was Straight Talk hotspot from Wallyworld. They dont offer a usb modem just the stupid hotspot. So I needed a wifi adapter for my desktop computer to connect to the hotspot.

Lot of these generic usb wifi adapters with this MT/RT chipset. I bought one off ebay without thinking (or investigating) cause it said works in linux. $3 shipped, on slow boat from China, so you know its going to be quality.... LOL

Well it does work ok (tested it with XP), and in linux if you compile the driver from source. Source file for linux comes on the cd that has the windows driver. Yes major PITA if you arent set up to compile stuff. Luckily I had just recently compiled driver for dialup modem. Anyway this wifi adapter uses the rt2870 module. I was all concerned cause a google said this had to be patched before compiling on linux distribution with newer 3.x.x kernel. I found the patch and instructions here: http://www.kyoushuu.com/compiling-rt287 ... in-fedora/

Was having incredible problems trying to patch the thing, then just tried compiling it without patch. It threw up lot warnings, but finally compiled and installed!!!! Using it now. Guess some chinese guy that made the cd was on ball and included an already patched version!??? Its good little wifi adapter once its got its driver.

But if I knew then what I know now, and after lot reading, I would have looked for cheap wifi adapter using Atheros AR9271 chipset. Found one for like $6.50 shipped, again on slow boat from China. But Slacko 5.3.3 I am using already has module for this as do newer kernel puppies. Always nice to not have to compile a driver so when I upgrade to newer Puppy with newer kernel, dont have to go through hassle all over again.

ardvark

Re: Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter

#2 Post by ardvark »

mouldy wrote:But if I knew then what I know now, and after lot reading, I would have looked for cheap wifi adapter using Atheros AR9271 chipset. Found one for like $6.50 shipped, again on slow boat from China. But Slacko 5.3.3 I am using already has module for this as do newer kernel puppies. Always nice to not have to compile a driver so when I upgrade to newer Puppy with newer kernel, dont have to go through hassle all over again.
Hi...

I picked up an adapter from ThinkPenguin.com that has the same exact chipset. I've been using it with Precise 5.6.1 and it's always worked like a champ. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]