Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 29 Jul 2015, 22:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
FFADO-2.2.1 for Carolina
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 03:59    Post subject:  FFADO-2.2.1 for Carolina
Subject description: Free Firewire Audio Drivers

"The FFADO project aims to provide a generic, open-source solution for the support of FireWire based audio devices for the Linux platform. It is the successor of the FreeBoB project.

We try to support any FireWire device available out there. The FFADO codebase is a framework that has been built with this in mind. This however doesn't mean that all FireWire devices work with FFADO. In order to support a device, we need cooperation from manufacturers, or somebody that want's to reverse engineer the protocol.

Luckily we have support from the manufacturers of the three major platforms vendors build their devices around (BridgeCo, TC Applied Technologies and ECHO). The exact devices supported (or not supported) can be found on our device list."

- http://www.ffado.org/

Compiled on Carolina 1.2 with the 3.15 kernel, but it works fine on normal kernel Carolina as well. I've included JACK and Qjackctl so this SFS is all ready to go to interact with your JACK ready audio program of choice like Ardour or LMMS.

FFADO-2.2.1.sfs

Size: 20.6 MB
MD5: eb5b4e40783b9e5c74143f282c7e36f2

Programs included in SFS:
JACK-0.124.1 - with the firewire driver compiled
Alsaplayer-0.99.81 - Lightweight audio player I like to use to test if my interface is working
Qjackctl-0.3.9 - Use to start JACK, create connections, and save automatic connections
FFADO-mixer-2.2.1 - Lets you reroute the interface inputs, outputs and levels

Where possible I used the dependencies found in the Carolina repository and if not, the same version

Dependencies included in SFS:
python-2.7.2
libconfig++-1.4.9
libxml++-2.6
libiec61883-1.2.0
PyQt-x11-gpl-4.9.4 (recompiled, lacking dbus support)
sip-4.13.3
dbus-python-0.84.0
libdbus-c++
glibmm-2.32.1 (updated to be compatible with ArdourVST3)

J̶A̶C̶K̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶0̶.̶1̶2̶1̶.̶3̶ ̶(̶C̶a̶r̶o̶l̶i̶n̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶)̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶o̶c̶o̶l̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶i̶c̶u̶l̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶ J̶A̶C̶K̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶0̶.̶1̶2̶4̶.̶1̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶y̶.̶

Edit: Whoops, I thought the protocols would clash but it worked fine with a LMMS I compiled with the old version of JACK, so no problem, continue as you were.

Some tips:

To test I usually run:
Code:
jackd -d firewire
in a terminal.

If that fails I'll call up ffado-dbus-server in a terminal and see if that gives any clues as to why the JACK fails.

If there are no errors I open Alsaplayer with
Code:
alsaplayer -o jack
make the connections in Qjackctl, and see if I can hear anything Alsaplayer is playing through my interface. If I can hear, then all's good and it should run with more complex programs.

For normal usage I set Qjackctl to start JACK with the firewire driver by default so I don't have open terminals hanging around. I also have the patchbay setup to connect some programs automatically, like Alsaplayer.

Unrelated:
I noticed ffado-dbus-server throws up this warning:
Code:
ffado-dbus-server: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libxml++-2.6.so.2)
It's cause I didn't include the xml version I compiled with. The current Carolina version is too old to compile with, but fine to run with.

Changelog:
3-07-14 - Invisible update, upgraded glibmm-2.28.0 to glibmm-2.32.1

battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2014, 21:13    Post subject:  

Updated to glibmm-2.32.1 for ArdourVST3 compatibility.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: