How to stop booting off a floppy disc?

Booting, installing, newbie
vucip

How to stop booting off a floppy disc?

#1 Post by vucip »

I have installed the vietnamese puppy on a computer and now to start the computer i need to use a floppy boot disc? [this was the only way i could install puppy on the computer]. Does anyone know how i can get puppy to boot from the hard disc?

Answers

I believe it is version 2. The discs have been partitioned with fat. the puppy program has been installed in c drive. It was loaded on one computer and then was ghosted across to other computers this happened about 2 weeks ago. There was also an error with the drivers but after a reboot we were able to install the drivers i hope that this will answer your questions fully and comprehensively. I also hope i have not left anything out. Hopefully someone out there can give me an answer to my problem.
Last edited by vucip on Thu 20 Jul 2006, 01:06, edited 4 times in total.
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking too much space ! :)

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

hello vucip,

my first inclination on, reading your query, was to ask if you've done a basic search of the forum. but then i did exactly that, searched the forum, and had some difficulty finding the right thread. (i bet that crafty lobster has the right link right at his clawtips!).

anyway barry's original page is here:

http://puppylinux.com/boot2pup.htm

but i have to say your question is like "how long's a piece of string?" because there are so many options now.

e.g. you need to say which puppy version you've got, how is your hard disk partitioned & where is puppy & if there's anything else on your disk, & is puppy installed frugally or not, and lastly what is puppy's partition formatted as.

trapster

#3 Post by trapster »

I have Win Me and had to try something slightly different than what is posted here.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

r__hughes

#4 Post by r__hughes »

OK - real message this time :)

This is another option for booting off an existing vfat dos system in what's known as a frugal boot, ie puppy isn't really installed you just copy the Live CD files onto the hard-disk and issue a boot command from dos

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=8908

vucip

Answers

#5 Post by vucip »

I believe it is version 2. The discs have been partitioned with fat. the puppy program has been installed in c drive. It was loaded on one computer and then was ghosted across to other computers this happened about 2 weeks ago. There was also an error with the drivers but after a reboot we were able to install the drivers i hope that this will answer your questions fully and comprehensively. I also hope i have not left anything out. Hopefully someone out there can give me an answer to my problem.
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking too much space ! :)

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

hi vucip,

if you've got pup version 2xx installed frugally, then you should have 3 files from the iso on c:\ , namely vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_201.sfs.

then if you follow the sections of this thread about, creating grub floppy, booting this floppy & installing grub to hdisk.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=9359

then editing the file c:\boot/grub/menu.lst to add this option:

title pup2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.gz

as alternatives to booting on hdisk with grub, others on the forum have used their autoexec.bat file to get linld.exe, or tiny.exe, to load puppy.