Hybrid HDD - anyone tried one?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
grump

Hybrid HDD - anyone tried one?

#1 Post by grump »

And how did it work? Any significant performance difference?

I'm thinking of replacing the HDD in my laptop.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes dramatic with Windows not so much with linux ( there was a bad bug that effect linux filesystems in early versions no longer In market I think its hardware rejects linux filessystems into the SDD part ) I am currently testing a frugal run SFS file from a NTFS partition from such a device ) linux runs so fast on this machine I can't tell..
does need a few reboots to have speed go to max. However there are methods and setting which allow puppylinux and fatdog64 to run even faster without harddrives and cheaper too. :shock: just need more RAM...

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

follow up.. I transfered a harddrive used with Vista based laptop in my windows8 it was a seagate 500G hybrid. The Win8 speedup was well worth the effort. :shock: I now only hate win8 half as much :wink: really smoothed out its odd slowdowns.

grump

#4 Post by grump »

I ended up putting a 750Gb WD black in the laptop. It goes alright, but not the dramatic improvement I expected. At least I've got nearly 500Gb free now.

I used Macrium to clone the old drive, then did some tidying up in Win7 with easUS (?) partition manager. After a few restarts, a defrag (Defraggle) etc it is all good.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Is that a hybrid drive? with ortinal Windows vista on the same seagate hybrid it took about two weeks for it to load smoothly and gain max speed. However with Win8 it was only a few reboots over a day or so. But I move Win8 to a very old small harddrive and it was so small it used SSD drive settings ( saw the install script used ) So when reloaded via image to larger than orginal drive it still contained SSD drive settings so I think that is why it improved so rapidly.
Give it a week.

grump

#6 Post by grump »

Ted - it's an ordinary 7200rpm HDD. The original was a 320Gb Hitachi 5400rpm HDD.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

grump wrote:Ted - it's an ordinary 7200rpm HDD. The original was a 320Gb Hitachi 5400rpm HDD.
Yes looked it up after I posted. Saw a 1T hybrid seagate for 18 dollars more. Tempted to buy one. I also have a 750G WD unsure black or blue label. It is a headache the low power modes have caused havoc with my systems especially in systems with more than one drive. I finally used it in my linux based PVR and by itself do not trust it for computing or tasks that require file security. It does nicely with my Mele 1000 and its a true low powered device total watts used was less then 10W per hour in read mode for video player.