How to share dial-up via wireless?

chiefengineer

How to share dial-up via wireless?

#1 Post by chiefengineer »

I live on a ranch and there is no buyable wireless. I share slow land-line modem wirelessly using XP which is dying fast. I have tried Wary, Precise, Slacko, and Fatdog. Can connect to internet on all of them but can't bridge a wireless server device to the modem. Ubuntu does it like magic but creates a single ad-hoc cell. I would settle for that but I wear myself out with sudo issues and recreating the whole network after each boot. And I way prefer Puppy.

Tried custom port forwarding in our standard Linux Firewall, Firestarter, Shorewall, Webmin, shareInternet-2.2.4.pet, hostapd-2.0.pet, etc. I am guessing I will have to bridge to a wired ethernet over to a second machine then share wireless from that?

I must be missing something simple since it has worked in XP for a decade and Ubuntu gets it close. There are probably two issues: I use either a Zydas or Realtek wireless server that probably needs the nl80211 driver so things like shareInternet tell me my card won't work even if I already put it in ad-hoc mode...and br0 simply always fails when trying to attach to ppp0.

I know this is really shooting bows and arrows so maybe there is some really old pet on some old distro somewhere someone remembers?

gyro

#2 Post by gyro »

@chiefengineer
My suggestion:
Make it easy on yourself, get hold of a wi-fi access point box.
Then connect puppy to this wi-fi access point with an ethernet crossover cable.
Now all puppy has to do is act as a router between ppp and eth.
Strangely enough, I think 'shareInternet' should be able to do that.

gyro

chiefengineer

Thank-you for that suggestion

#3 Post by chiefengineer »

If I had had any internet until today I would have replied sooner. We got 4 inches of rain in half an hour and all the buried phone lines got so wet ours never came back. At&T was no help so we cancelled the landline and put in our own giant tower. Even with a dish at the top pointed at some sort of ISP tower it still struggles but at least we have something. We also get one bar on cellular outside or would have gone that way.

And if you think this is third world...we are in a hurricane zone.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I wonder wether setting your main puppy pc as a wifi hotspot answer your original question. I use this way:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 82&t=93449

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87584

Tempestuous wrote an howto:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84269

chiefengineer

Thank-you

#5 Post by chiefengineer »

That was very nice. Some of the solutions that included
bridges now seem available since the phone-line is gone.