Puppy Linux Home Page

News, happenings
tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

mavrothal wrote:As Burn_IT said we need a lead. ie someone to actually start working on this.
I suspect we need not only a lead, but a group of folks who will work on the project.

There's simply too much information for one person to manage.

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

I was actually trying to lighten the thread a little as well.

The word "lead" was deliberately chosen so as to have several interpretations.

The funny one was in reply to the reference to dementia and putting Wanderer on a puppy lead to stop him wandering off.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

wanderer

#33 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

#34 Post by mcewanw »

tlchost wrote: I suspect we need not only a lead, but a group of folks who will work on the project.

There's simply too much information for one person to manage.
Puppy Linux is supported, via this forum, by a community, not by just a small group of interested people, so any editing of any community Puppy home page should be all-Puppy-users inclusive (unless BarryK says or has said otherwise). No one is entitled to judge another user's opinions or contributions, especially now that BarryK has basically passed the project on to the Puppy users community. Puppy remains BarryK's copyright and the main domain name belongs to BarryK. I think these issues with domain name and Puppy development management methodology needs to be clarified from BarryK in view of his announced retirement. Otherwise, it is problematic creating a new home page whilst the old domain lies dormant and potentially restrictive if one (or more) dominant group(s) assumes leadership of an open source community developed and supported product.

William
github mcewanw

tlchost

#35 Post by tlchost »

mcewanw wrote: so any editing of any community Puppy home page should be all-Puppy-users inclusive (unless BarryK says or has said otherwise).
Oh, let's see, using that logic, every user here should be able to control the forum, or every user should be able to control the IRC channel.

Makes no sense to me.
Puppy remains BarryK's copyright and the main domain name belongs to BarryK. I think these issues with domain name and Puppy development management methodology needs to be clarified from BarryK in view of his announced retirement.
Yes....so we'll just wait and see what, if anything Barry does.

Shame you did not share the wisdom early on so people could simply stop trying to do anything.

wanderer

#36 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#37 Post by mcewanw »

By the way, I don't know about the rest of you, but I hardly ever visit any Puppy site other than the forum (unless I want to download something). This forum is the centre (center) of all things Puppy for me, but it is a pretty huge jungle which could do with some taming in my opinion. Any new supposedly central, user-supported website, needs to become as active as this forum if it is to stay meaningfully alive.

As for above comment about my feelings/views. No problem, but I'm just expressing my opinion, which isn't particularly strong one way or the other (any longer) about matters like this.

William
github mcewanw

mavrothal

#38 Post by mavrothal »

This is all very interesting, but you may want to revisit the 1st post.
This is about a Puppy Linux entry point web site for the new-comer.
Like BK's original only a bit more 21st century. 8)

It is not for a forum consolidation page or a puppy wiki.
Is the page you want your (grand)mother to see when she is trying to find about that "linux dog" she was told about :shock:

If you are interested in helping in such an effort, there is a suggestion in the first post for a collective effort, that currently looks like the picture below. Feel free to work on it.

If you are interested in other kind of puppy pages, please open a different thread or contact the site administrator of an existing site that may be of interest to you.
Attachments
github_puppy.png
(67.05 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Burn_IT

#39 Post by Burn_IT »

I think the home page should be a mix of
Puppy.com
Puppy.org

home pages.
and be Puppy.org
with Puppy.com just pointing to it.

If this needs Barry to OK it then so be it and I'm sure he will not disagree as long as the page is not abused.

We do need to nominate a Web Master for it, wherever it is.
The Web Master (ideally a small group) should only be allowed to update the site after changes have been "signed off" to prevent personality clashes.

Just my opinion.

mavrothal

#40 Post by mavrothal »

Burn_IT wrote:I think the home page should be a mix of
Puppy.com
Puppy.org
That is the idea.
So basically most of the content is there.
What it really needs is web designers and graphic artists!
Burn_IT wrote:We do need to nominate a Web Master for it, wherever it is.
The Web Master (ideally a small group) should only be allowed to update the site after changes have been "signed off" to prevent personality clashes.
The beauty of the (git)hub proposal is that the woof team (see picture of current members) will be also the ones deciding which of the proposed changes actually go on the site.
Is like when BK was developing both puppy and its official site, only collective
Attachments
woof_team.png
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wanderer

#41 Post by wanderer »

edit
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#42 Post by mcewanw »

mavrothal wrote:This is all very interesting, but you may want to revisit the 1st post.
This is about a Puppy Linux entry point web site for the new-comer.
Like BK's original only a bit more 21st century. 8)

It is not for a forum consolidation page or a puppy wiki.
Oh I see. I re-read your first post, mavrothal, but erroneously thought from that and some of the posts that followed it that some alternative to puppylinux.com and puppylinux.org was being proposed. Personally, I think puppylinux.org at least is one of the better looking and easy to use Puppy sites, though I imagine it needs a bit updating to continually reflect Puppy developments, including the alternatives and so-called "lookalikes" and woof/woof-CE and so on. From your later posts, I note that you are talking from your own perspective of being part of woof-CE development team. That's not something I've been involved in, and with other projects occupying me at the moment I'll bow out of any current direct involvement in that :-) I'm interested to see how your webpage development goes though. woof-CE seems like an interesting area, and good luck with the progress of that.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#43 Post by wanderer »

Barry K started puppy linux and owns the name.
He has not designated a successor.
If members of the puppy linux community
wish to present a particular project
to show what is being developed
that seems reasonable
but only Barry K can designate an "official" puppy
(and it seems edit his home page to display it).
Since Barry's retirement puppy linux
has become a diverse group of puppy inspired projects
created by the puppy linux community
as can been seen on the forum.
Any puppy linux homepage
must include all of the puppy projects
not just puppy woof-CE.
If an alternate home page is needed
the first page that comes up in a google search is
puppylinux.org.
That is the page that should be used.

wanderer

Burn_IT

#44 Post by Burn_IT »

I repeat -
If this needs Barry to OK it then so be it and I'm sure he will not disagree as long as the page is not abused.

raffy

home page crumbles

#45 Post by raffy »

The big problem about the Puppy Linux home page is that if it is done multi-user (using scripts), its CPU usage jumps given the high number of hits and the site is soon suspended by the host. This explains the static nature of the home page.

If you have specific items to add or a specific design to suggest, then please post it and I will see how to use it at puppylinux.org. Or add to github as suggested by mavrothal in the original post.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jamesbond

Re: home page crumbles

#46 Post by jamesbond »

raffy wrote:The big problem about the Puppy Linux home page is that if it is done multi-user (using scripts), its CPU usage jumps given the high number of hits and the site is soon suspended by the host. This explains the static nature of the home page.
I'm sure there are others who are willing to donate cpu/server space to make a dynamic home page. I know I would.

But the github idea has its appeal too.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

raffy

Re: server space

#47 Post by raffy »

jamesbond wrote:I'm sure there are others who are willing to donate cpu/server space to make a dynamic home page. I know I would.
We can use puppylinux.info anytime for this - I mean, have the server ready, give me the DNS info and I will direct the domain to that server. (For puppylinux.com or puppylinux.org, you will have to request Barry to do this.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

wanderer

#48 Post by wanderer »

I have taken the liberty to send this message to Barry K. I know he has said he does not want to be contacted but I don't know any other way to address this issue. If he does not read it on his blog maybe he will read it here. If anyone knows any way to contact Barry K please post it here.

Dear Barry K, I am sorry to bother you because I know you are retired however I have noticed that the Puppy Linux home page has not been updated in a while and this is also true of the Distrowatch page. Would it be acceptable for you to assign a few Puppy Linux members to maintain both pages ? I am afraid if this is not done many people will think that development of Puppy Linux has stopped. My personal suggestion is the Woof-CE team since they are actively developing your system, others could join them as appropriate. Once again I apologize for bothering you. Thank you for your consideration of this request.

A Puppy fan
Wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#49 Post by anikin »

edit

dejan555

#50 Post by dejan555 »

Fork & rename ?

Puppy has been a community project for quite some time now, but if trademark/access to site is still Barry's and he doesn't take any action on the issue I guess the real solution is to choose another name and logo for puppylinux / woof and continue development with new site / domain too which will be official. Then it could be listed as new project on Distrowatch too, same way as Simplicity linux was.
It might seem drastic but I see it as only real solution for future too.
Development would go on through woof-CE (renamed) releases would still have the same unique puppy enviroment with the change of name and logo.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]