Unattended remaster script

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Unattended remaster script

#1 Post by nic007 »

Recalled
Last edited by nic007 on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 13:31, edited 24 times in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

one proviso for this method...it will use several hundred megs in the filesystem/save file or ram if used that way....so a space check would be a good idea since it may remaster leaving out many files without warning as can happen even with the standard way.

The idea of squashing directly and adding to it is to minimise space usage.

Mike

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Yes otherwise you have to do it in a puppy linux filesystem outside your save file unless you have a massive amount of RAM. I don't have puppy linux filesystem partitions on my harddrive so use the save file. Generally space of working directory should at least be 3 times the size of your base sfs plus the occupied space on your save file.

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

1. On my Slacko-5.7.0-pae...
Used your commands, one line at a time.
Produced a much bigger ISO file than normal.
When I booted the remastered CD-RW, I used the puppy pfix=ram command to get it to ignore the existing slackosave file.
It appeared to work OK, BUT...

2. When it got to the desktop, there were none of my customizations, and it was asking for config settings for language, locale, etc.

3. I had wanted a remaster that included EVERYTHING, so I decided to go back to using the old setup...
I rebooted my old CD-RW, BUT...
My customizations were still GONE!
Any idea why? :?

4. To get them back, here's what I did:
a. Deleted the SFS file and the slackosave file from their folder on the internal HDD partition.
b. Replaced the SFS using the original from the CD-RW, and replaced the slackosave using a backup copy made in early June..
c. Deleted all the files used to make the new ISO, and deleted the new ISO.
No idea which of the above produced the result I desired and got.

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Added some more folders of pup_rw to merge if available. This should pretty much cover all installed pets to the save file and also help with the customization.

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

Sylvander wrote:1. On my Slacko-5.7.0-pae...
Used your commands, one line at a time.
Produced a much bigger ISO file than normal.
When I booted the remastered CD-RW, I used the puppy pfix=ram command to get it to ignore the existing slackosave file.
It appeared to work OK, BUT...

2. When it got to the desktop, there were none of my customizations, and it was asking for config settings for language, locale, etc.

3. I had wanted a remaster that included EVERYTHING, so I decided to go back to using the old setup...
I rebooted my old CD-RW, BUT...
My customizations were still GONE!
Any idea why? :?

4. To get them back, here's what I did:
a. Deleted the SFS file and the slackosave file from their folder on the internal HDD partition.
b. Replaced the SFS using the original from the CD-RW, and replaced the slackosave using a backup copy made in early June..
c. Deleted all the files used to make the new ISO, and deleted the new ISO.

No idea which of the above produced the result I desired and got.
I only did the remaster of the base sfs and didn't go all the way to building the iso (just added that bit for the sake of completeness). I've added a few more folders of pup_rw (if they are present) which should help with customization. I've tested this on puppy 412 and wary puppy, don't know about the rest. BTW the idea is to copy the full text to terminal one shot and let the system run through everything unattended. I delete my save file after the process.

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

mkdir /puppyfilesystem
ok well that is in the puppy filesystem... though doing it outside would be better considering the size and must be posix.

squashing the layered filesystem minus a few custom folders to be added straight after is less of a headache... less likely you miss out stuff.

mike

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

The working system directory must be in a linux file system otherwise the copying won't work. So you need to use either the save file, an ext partition/folder filesystem or RAM. Whatever you use, make sure it's big enough

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

This may be an odd question, but I'll claim "ignorance" (which in my case is true).

I ask
If my system operates everything from its filesystem view; namely "/" (also called the system's root)
  • Can one just cp/rsync everything from "/" directory for a TOTAL system view into /puppyfilesystem?
  • Why does it have to be done individually and why from ...pup_rw?
  • If I do it from "/" would it not include base, pets, sfs, everything?
  • Or is, somehow, the kernel an element which negates this approach for use in building a remaster?
Curious why this is not ever discussed or used.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

gcmartin wrote:This may be an odd question, but I'll claim "ignorance" (which in my case is true).

I ask
If my system operates everything from its filesystem view; namely "/" (also called the system's root)
  • Can one just cp/rsync everything from "/" directory for a TOTAL system view into /puppyfilesystem?
  • Why does it have to be done individually and why from ...pup_rw?
  • If I do it from "/" would it not include base, pets, sfs, everything?
  • Or is, somehow, the kernel an element which negates this approach for use in building a remaster?
Curious why this is not ever discussed or used.
Well, it's true that everything is under / but that doesn't mean you can just copy everything. The thing is that some directories/files can not just be copied over as this will result in a "broken" remaster which will in all probability have booting and other problems (an example may be copying the sys folder). And of course the contents of everything that is mounted will be included and that could be all the data on your hard drives/usb drives as well as mounted SFS's, all of which you don't necessarily want to include. Note also that only certain directories of pup_rw are included. Including everything under pup_rw (the save file) will lead to a broken remaster. Same is true should you want to include some mounted sfs's which may be mounted under another pup_ro. All the directories can not just be copied over. Pup_ro2 contains the pristine/clean base SFS, so starting there and adding on is the way to go. BTW - this is an unattended method as far as producing the remastered SFS is concerned. Just copy the full text to terminal, press enter and the system will do the rest (there's no copying of files/folders to be done manually unless you want to make the iso too).

gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for your explanations on remaster. Had forgotten about potentially "mounted" partitions. While I did remember "loop" mounts of SFSs.

Your explanations are particularly clear of your steps you offered earlier. Thx as well for that.

One other method, I remember was introduced by @Flash here. He did NOT call it a remaster, but, similarly it accomplishes the same thing. His posting indicates when using a DVD with save-sessions to be captured into a new presentation.

For taking one's running system with user personalizations, customizations, and tailoring, anything that can be done without the use of DVD or ISO, if possible is something some of us have sort that allows capture without the need to "practice capturing over and over and over" to get the process right. There is a great need if it can be clear and simple.

I find it unattractive to EXPECT any user who is not knowledgeable enough to know what wasn't copied and what was where remaster utilities dumped them into a Rox screen with instructions that is only clear to the developer. Utility developers know that aspects of the users systems are contained in system folders: so why stop and ask? Could a description at the beginning of the utility as clear questions to the user so that he can answer in the dialogue's form yes/no to questions at the front end without having to have waited for half-hour to get it wrong and have to start-over with no prior audit trail to potentially get it wrong again.

Its not that the developers don't know what they are doing...they do. But as energetic as they are, in this utility's case, a front ended approach of the outcome's intention would probably be a much better option for the user understanding, than has been used in the past.

Again, thanks @NIC007 for drawing attention to capture of the running operating system into a new bootable entity. ... namely "Remaster"

stemsee

#12 Post by stemsee »

How about 'read' 'path' and maximum compression and remove .XLOADED for /etc/.XLOADED or /root/.XLOADED file, added pup_a and pup_y. Also added timeout function for user input to not create iso, or enter y or at timeout assume no to NOT create iso.
EDIT: updated

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#original by nic007 modified by StemSee

echo "Enter partition name of ext 2/3/4 partition for remaster folder eg sda2
or press enter for '/' in ram."
read drive

mount /dev/$drive /mnt/$drive
mkdir -p /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/proc /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/tmp /mnt/$drive/puppylivediscbuild

rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb     #for EmSeeV2+ apt/synaptic downloads delete.

cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/var /dev  /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /root /etc /usr /lib /bin /sbin /opt /archive /include /srv /selinux /obexd-0.38 /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro1/usr /var /root /lib /bin /sbin /opt /archive  /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro3/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro4/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro5/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro6/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro7/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro8/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro9/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_z/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_a/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_y/* /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/
cp -a /initrd/pup_rw/usr /var /root /lib /bin /sbin /opt /archive  /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/                  #copied last so not overwritten

if [ -e /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/etc/.XLOADED ]; then
   rm -f /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/etc/.XLOADED
fi
if [ -e /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/root/.XLOADED ]; then
   rm -f /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/root/.XLOADED
fi

rm -f /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem/root/.bash_history .history .Trash/. .cache/chrome/default/cache/. .cache/mozilla/firefox/.         #clean bash history browser caches.

cd /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem
find . -type f -name '.wh.*' -print -exec rm -rf {} \;                        #remove .wh. files
cd ..
mksquashfs puppyfilesystem puppylivediscbuild/puppy-remastered.sfs -noappend -comp xz -b 1024k -Xbcj x86
#rm /mnt/$drive/puppyfilesystem -r    # left in existence for fixing simple errors and re-squash.

timelimit=60
echo "If you want to make an iso file then copy boot files (isolinux.bin, 
isolinux.cfg, initrd.gz, vmlinuz, grldr, boot.msg, help.msg, help2.msg, logo.16,
README.HTM) from cd or directory to /mnt/"$drive"/puppylivediscbuild."
echo -e "You have $timelimit seconds\n Type 'y' to create iso or 'n' to NOT create iso then press enter: \c"
answer=""
read -t $timelimit answer
if [ ! -z "$answer" ]; then
echo -e "\n You entered '$answer'"
else
echo -e "\n TIME OUT\n Assume no"
answer=n                                                       #because no boot files copied!!
fi 

case $answer in
	y) mkisofs -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -D -l -R -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "puppy_remaster.iso" puppylivediscbuild
	echo "'puppy_remaster.iso' is on drive /mnt/"$drive".";;

n) echo "'puppyfilesystem' and 'puppylivediscbuild' directories left in existence. 
Delete manually if no longer needed. End of script!";;

*) echo "Sorry, unexpected input.'puppyfilesystem' and 'puppylivediscbuild'
	directories left in existence.  Exiting script!  Have a nice one!";;

esac
exit 0

cheers @nic007
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 23:42, edited 17 times in total.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

@nic007

1. Had a 2nd go with your new code.

2. Using the 1st group of commands [pasted and executed in a single block] there was made:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivediscbuild/puppy-remastered.sfs = 312.1MB in size.

3. PROBLEM when I used the 2nd block of code, as follows:

# cd /mnt/home
# mkisofs -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -D -l -R -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "puppy_remaster.iso" puppylivediscbuild
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
3.01a08 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Scanning puppylivediscbuild
Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0
Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 16
Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
Writing:   Eltorito Volume Descriptor              Start Block 17
mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'isolinux.bin' inside the target tree.
# 
My desktop PC has 8GB of RAM, which is plenty methinks.
Found /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppy_remaster.iso = 34kB ! :roll:
Something wrong here! Too small.

Any idea what's going wrong?

4. When I'm finished working in this session...
I would normally close my Slacko without saving session changes...
So if I do this as per normal, all of these changes/files will be lost unless I move [or copy] them to some location outside the Slacko filesystem.
I'll try to delay doing that for as long as possible in the hope of getting a reply whilst still running this session.

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

The biggest benefit of using a remaster process like this is that it gives one freedom of choice what you want to include in your remaster or not. This specific example takes care of the installed programs in the save file but does not include mounted sfs's and other "underdogs". The later can easily be included by adding a few lines of code. Add-on sfs's for example can be loaded by the bootmanager or on the fly. If loaded by the bootmanager the contents thereof can be found in one of the mounted pup_ro's which can then just be copied. If on the fly, the files will normally be loaded in /usr so that folder can just be merged to include the files.

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

Sylvander wrote:@nic007

2. Using the 1st group of commands [pasted and executed in a single block] there was made:

# cd /mnt/home
# mkisofs -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -D -l -R -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "puppy_remaster.iso" puppylivediscbuild
mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'isolinux.bin' inside the target tree.
# 

So if I do this as per normal, all of these changes/files will be lost unless I move [or copy] them to some location outside the Slacko filesystem.
I'll try to delay doing that for as long as possible in the hope of getting a reply whilst still running this session.
Sylvander, I don't run Puppy off CD and my knowledge of making iso's is limited. The second code for making the iso was copied straight from Puppy Wiki. Did you copy the necessary files from the cd (excluding the sfs of course) to the location of the new remastered sfs and then ran the command for making of the iso? My concern is the remastered SFS. Did that come out right and have you been able to boot it frugally?

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

@nic007

1. Is your above post your reply to my question = "Any idea what's going wrong?.
If it is, I'm confused.
e.g.
a. "The biggest benefit of using a remaster process like this is that it gives one freedom of choice what you want to include in your remaster or not."
I have no idea how to include or exclude stuff.
To do so, I guess I'd need to know and understand how to do what you no doubt think is simple coding.

b. " This specific example takes care of the installed programs in the save file..."
Seemed like it did that at my 1st attempt, but not at the 2nd.

c. " The latter can easily be included by adding a few lines of code..."
Like I said above...
Coding is not my thing; I'd probably get it wrong.
I need to be led by the hand.

d. " Add-on sfs's for example can be loaded by the bootmanager or on the fly."
I have no SFS's loaded, so this doesn't apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Ah, looks like the 1st of your 2 posts above wasn't a reply to me; I'll leave my above answers anyway since they may be informative.
Now to reply to your 2nd post immediately above.
a. "Did you copy the necessary files from the cd (excluding the sfs of course) to the location of the new remastered sfs and then ran the command for making of the iso?"
No I didn't, I'll do that now. :D

b. "My concern is the remastered SFS. Did that come out right..."
Looks like it did.

c. "have you been able to boot it frugally?"
I've no idea how to frugally boot an SFS file.
All I know how to do is to use your instructions to make a remastered ISO, and use that to make a new CD-RW, and boot that and make a new pupsave file.

nic007

#17 Post by nic007 »

# cd /mnt/home
# 

Sylvander, I don't run Puppy off CD and my knowledge of making iso's is limited. The second code for making the iso was copied straight from Puppy Wiki. Did you copy the necessary files from the cd (excluding the sfs of course) to the location of the new remastered sfs and then ran the command for making of the iso? My concern is the remastered SFS. Did that come out right and have you been able to boot it frugally?

Edit:: A quick look at that code and it will not work for you because your remastered sfs is not in mnt/home. Try deleting the first line ie. cd /mnt/home and run the code then otherwise you will have to stipulate the correct path for your remastered sfs

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

1. Is your above post your reply to my question = "Any idea what's going wrong?.
If it is, I'm confused.
e.g.
a. "The biggest benefit of using a remaster process like this is that it gives one freedom of choice what you want to include in your remaster or not."
I have no idea how to include or exclude stuff.
To do so, I guess I'd need to know and understand how to do what you no doubt think is simple coding.

b. " This specific example takes care of the installed programs in the save file..."
Seemed like it did that at my 1st attempt, but not at the 2nd.

c. " The latter can easily be included by adding a few lines of code..."
Like I said above...
Coding is not my thing; I'd probably get it wrong.
I need to be led by the hand.

d. " Add-on sfs's for example can be loaded by the bootmanager or on the fly."
I have no SFS's loaded, so this doesn't apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Ah, looks like the 1st of your 2 posts above wasn't a reply to me; I'll leave my above answers anyway since they may be informative.
Now to reply to your 2nd post immediately above.
a. "Did you copy the necessary files from the cd (excluding the sfs of course) to the location of the new remastered sfs and then ran the command for making of the iso?"
No I didn't, I'll do that now. :D

b. "My concern is the remastered SFS. Did that come out right..."
Looks like it did.

c. "have you been able to boot it frugally?"
I've no idea how to frugally boot an SFS file.
All I know how to do is to use your instructions to make a remastered ISO, and use that to make a new CD-RW, and boot that and make a new pupsave file.
No that was not the answer to your questions, check the next post with the edit.

Sylvander

#19 Post by Sylvander »

1. Here's the result of my 2nd improved attempt with the 2nd block of code that makes the ISO file:

# cd /mnt/home
# mkisofs -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -D -l -R -v -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "puppy_remaster.iso" puppylivediscbuildSetting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
Excluded by match: puppylivediscbuild/boot.cat
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Done with: Eltorito Volume Descriptor              Block(s)    1
Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 18
Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 19
Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
Writing:   Path table                              Start Block 20
Done with: Path table                              Block(s)    4
Writing:   Directory tree                          Start Block 24
Done with: Directory tree                          Block(s)    1
Writing:   Directory tree cleanup                  Start Block 25
Done with: Directory tree cleanup                  Block(s)    0
Writing:   Extension record                        Start Block 25
Done with: Extension record                        Block(s)    1
Writing:   The File(s)                             Start Block 26
  3.08% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
  6.16% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
  9.24% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 12.31% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 15.39% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 18.46% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 21.55% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 24.62% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 27.70% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 30.77% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 33.86% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 36.93% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 40.01% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 43.08% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 46.16% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 49.24% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:54 2014
 52.32% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 55.39% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 58.47% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 61.54% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 64.63% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 67.70% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 70.78% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 73.85% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 76.94% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 80.01% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:55 2014
 83.09% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
 86.16% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
 89.24% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
 92.32% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
 95.40% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
 98.47% done, estimate finish Fri Jul 11 12:14:56 2014
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 1175
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    162310
Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 162336
Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 0
162486 extents written (317 MB)
# 
The new ISO file looks good = 317.4MB :D
I'll go make a new CD-RW with this and boot it and see what I get.
I see you've just posted saying this won't work, but it looks like it has.
I'll still go ahead and try it out to see what results.

Sylvander

#20 Post by Sylvander »

nic007 wrote:Edit:: A quick look at that code and it will not work for you because your remastered sfs is not in mnt/home.
1. Actually, after I made the latest ISO, and burned the new CD-RW...
I noticed that in /mnt/home were located:
a. The new 317.4MB puppy_remaster.iso, which is still there.
I had used /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppy_remaster.iso to burn the CD-RW.
And...
b. A folder named [methinks] puppylivediscbuild.
I thought [mistakenly?] that this was the old folder and its contents from my 1st attempt...
So I deleted it, and tried to copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivediscbuild into /mnt/home, but got the warning that the source did not exist.
OOPS! Looks like, at some point in time, the folder and the ISO had been moved to /mnt/home from /initrd/mnt/dev_save.

2. When I booted my new CD-RW, I got the warning:
"puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console..."