Home for Puppy refugees

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
tronkel

Home for Puppy refugees

#1 Post by tronkel »

If you fancy using something more "conventional" than Puppy where would be a good place to look?

I've been experimenting with Debian/Ubuntu based distros. Most of them are nice and polished but they somehow lack the snappiness of Puppy.

I keep coming back to Debian for this. My latest install was done using a small net install CD that provides Debian Stable (Wheezy) with the 3.2 kernel. This provides Gnome 3.4 as the default desktop. The Gnome Classic desktop is also provided here - and has advantages over the standard Gnome 3. It is less buggy and is faster. Updates don't come in large deliveries and the system is very stable. The top panel has a lot of the features of Gnome 2 - but not all. The all-important Places menu is however included.

I think I'll stick with this for a bit and delete all the Ubuntu. Zorin, Linux Mint partitions. Might keep SolydX though.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

Conventional. AntiX
Uncovential. Slitaz
Maybe even http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=austrumi
or
http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

My base AntiX installs idle on less ram than Puppy does.

Less than 60 processes. About 59MB of ram at idle.

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

Try DebianDog, it is 100% debian compatible yet handles pet files and sfs files too, there is even a puppy boot method giving even more puppy like performance. Another debian distro worth a look is Makulu linux, much better than Mint. Bodhi is nice too!

tronkel

#4 Post by tronkel »

Forgot to mention in the above post that the Debian Wheezy install successfully set up an encrypted partition - something that Debian Jessie seemed to have a problem with.

With all the controversy surrounding privacy and security these days, the ability to keep a Linux installation secure is my number one priority at the moment. Puppy's encrypted save file is a big reason to use Puppy.

Another big worry is the latest Unix virus - discovered yesterday I think. An horrendous virus :-( . The bloody thing can install brute-force password recovery tools and works unseen in the background. Haven't got the link for that to hand, but you'll find it easily with a Google search.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

wboz

#5 Post by wboz »

I used Puppy on several older laptops because I could play with them without risking "breaking" anything and infuriating the owners ... which could be me or a family member.

Recently built my own desktop, and I went with Ubuntu. To my great surprise, I didn't love the Unity interface - and I'd used it before, even! I installed Lubuntu desktop and greatly prefer it. However, there are a few UI shortcomings vs Unity. No window snapping, no application search. But at least I don't have to root through config files to try and remove the blasted Ubuntu Orange from everything!!!

I did briefly try Puppy on this desktop. Not really "necessary" because the hardware is modern, so Puppy wouldn't have the traditional advantage of making slow hardware faster. I was just curious. But in any case my Puppy version 5.2.8 isn't up to date enough to support this motherboard :P ... not actually sure which one I'd have to get, in order to make it work.

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

" Another big worry is the latest Unix virus "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/18 ... b_servers/

" Malware dubbed Mayhem is spreading through Linux and FreeBSD web servers, researchers say.

The software nasty uses a grab bag of plugins to cause mischief, and
infects systems that are not up to date with security patches. "

Chris.

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

wboz wrote: :P ... not actually sure which one I'd have to get, in order to make it work.
You need EmSeeV2.1 !!