JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gychang

mouse scroll to disable shade function

#16 Post by gychang »

666philb wrote:the solution here seems to work https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/366

add to your /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Code: Select all

<RootMenu onroot="45"/>

it needs to be added after the initial root menu ie ......

<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="MENHEIGHT" onroot="3">
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-desktop.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-system.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-setup.menu

<Separator/>

PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-utility.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-graphic.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-document.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-calculate.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-personal.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-network.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-internet.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-multimedia.menu
PUPPYMENU jwm-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-fun.menu

<Separator/>

<Program label="Help" icon="help48.png">exec defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/index.html</Program>

<Program label="Exit" icon="shutdown48.png">/usr/sbin/logout_gui</Program>

<!-- </Menu> -->
</RootMenu>
<RootMenu onroot="45"/>
then run fixmenus in a terminal and restart JWM.
on my bionoicpup64, it does not disable shade with middle mouse scroll...
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

ozsouth

#17 Post by ozsouth »

I disable shade via entry in picture. Disabling scrollwheel doesn't work for jwm versions 2.3.5 - 2.3.6.
Attachments
noshade.jpg
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Thu 14 May 2020, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#18 Post by rockedge »

Hello ozsouth,

I am using jwm 2.3.7 on WeeDog using

<!-- Disable virtual desktop scroll. -->
	<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
	<RootMenu onroot="5"/>
which works to disable the virtual desktop scroll.

ozsouth

#19 Post by ozsouth »

I've attempted a very basic update for ScPup64 from jwm-2.3.6 to jwm-2.3.7 so as to use scrollwheel fix. Seems OK.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 32#1044332

gychang

#20 Post by gychang »

ozsouth wrote:I disable shade via entry in picture. Disabling scrollwheel doesn't work for jwm versions 2.3.2 - 2.3.6.
I was little confused with this, but it works well, edit the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

and fixmeus and reboot, works well for bionicpup64, now there is no shade when I scroll on the app bar...
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

ozsouth

#21 Post by ozsouth »

@gychang - just to explain, there are 2 functions being discussed - yours was shading; the original was where rolling the scrollwheel on the desktop switched desktops - a problem for ages - just bump the scrollwheel & you're looking at a different desktop - most annoying. In JWM 2.3.5 - 2.3.6, that couldn't be stopped, but shading has always been stoppable (once you know how).
Last edited by ozsouth on Thu 14 May 2020, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

James186282

#22 Post by James186282 »

I revisited this after switching to bionic pup 64 and changing it in the
/etc/xdg/template/_root_.jwmrc file

I'm doing something wrong it still didn't work after running fixmenus. In fact I got quite a
Rather then go back to 1 virtual window and not have it flipping me around all the time I tried doing it the .jwm/jwmrc-personal file
And it does seem to work.

Which reminds me that Somehow this jwmrc-personal seems to go from being

JWM

</JWM>

to where some program somewhere adds lines to make some of the theme files that discribe how windows look (Like I set them to be curved) but then are ignored which is why my jwmrx-personal file was blank (or at least I tried to make it blank) This and /etc/X11/xorg.config seem to be files you can't expect to be left alone by other programs. I know that root can "do anything" but is there a simple way to determine what is changing these files or maybe more simply make them read only to root without a password that only I know? Both of these things regularly make me crazy.

Don't get me wrong I still like Puppy Linux and use it daily but it gets really frustraiting at times trying to figure this sequence out.

One last example is the changes to Startup so that now it has more files that run on Startup in the /Startup/autostart link... Really? Why? Whats wrong with leaving them in Startup? If someone knows what the point of that was I would really like to know.

I wish there were an attempt to use the KISS principle or at least reduce the sceme of having additional files undoing what you just had it do.

Plus I hate invisible directories. ;-) Anyway I hope everyone is staying safe and corona virus free,
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

rockedge

#23 Post by rockedge »

Really? Why? Whats wrong with leaving them in Startup?
Really. One reason you see /root/Startup/autostart in the Startup directory is for compatibility with Ubuntu. Since Bionic Puppy Linux is built on Ubuntu Bionic there are certain system programs that are now in Puppy Bionic from the Ubuntu repositories that are looking for autostart. Also as the desktop is being launched, programs are started at different stages and in a certain order during the machine boot operations.

The way Puppy Linux is built from sometimes from Slack or sometimes Ubuntu or Debian and also Arch, requires flexibility and consistency to be a Puppy Linux even if it is built using any one of those operating systems. This ability requires scripts to be run at certain levels of the start process to boot a particular type of Puppy Linux which could be built on any one of those flavors. Also the huge amount of customizing that a user can do to the look and the way the desktop operates, needs a way to be able to have the system satisfy the requirements each individual type of operating system that is the base building blocks of the flavor of Puppy Linux you are using.

hiding these system files as the default view keeps the thousand of little tiny programs that make up an operating system and as most users never need to do anything with them directly, they stay hidden.

Windows has many many hidden programs and processes, in Linux all can be seen by flipping a switch.

/root/Startup/autostart is a symlink to /root/.config