Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free? (answered: No)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
p310don

#46 Post by p310don »

Refer to this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&t=116043

Free software cannot be trusted is a commonly held belief with the greater unwashed masses. Charge for it, it must be better.

Lowtech, make as much money as you can (which is probably very little as all musician's are broke). Just make sure to always acknowledge all those that helped along the way (which I've seen you do).

l0wt3ch

#47 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ya... "make money".

Maybe someday. LOL

Honestly, I wish I'd never went to school, and never wasted my time doing any of the things I've done with my life. I should have spent it doing something hands-on and productive, that anyone can do. Like mowing lawns. If I had spent all this time mowing lawns instead of computer programming, I would be rich, have my own business, my own fucking lawnmower - top of the line. Every hour or two somebody would give me fifty dollars, and I'd just have to walk around with a lawn mower all day. How did education, or the rest of my life, benefit me? I could have just mowed lawns. I would have been so much more successful.

cthisbear

#48 Post by cthisbear »

" I could have just mowed lawns.
I would have been so much more successful. "

Which I still do occasionally.
Some for money...all for exercise.

Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free?............... No way.
With the freebies you re-released people had a chance to test it out
with no comeback...done and dusted.

I only hope that sales start to climb.

Cheers.....Chris.

l0wt3ch

#49 Post by l0wt3ch »

Funny thing is, we're on the third release now, so v2 is free. Pretty sure I released this for free quite a while ago.

Anything's possible, I guess. Could be walking down the street, and find a whole bag of money, just sitting there. Probable?

ciento

#50 Post by ciento »

The rpi users, Blender 3D raytracers, and Black Magic
video editors might be groups more receptive than
the average mac/win swilling wannabbe music producers,

rpi dealing with limited hardware, the 3D and video editing
folks just needing to maximise and re-maximise
their systems to compete.

Also, targetting the very highest selling android tablets,
name brands like Nook and Kindall, that soccer moms
have no fear of, could be a niche, an anti-spyware platform
for home-school and charter schools students, trying to get educated
vs indoctrinated.

Is there a dedicated zoneminder distro? Having a basic
video-switcher between security cams would be cool,
maybe even a zoom control 8) (yeah, I live on
_that_ side of the tracks. Just saw a massive addicts camp
set up on a highway right-of-way parcel, too nearby, around 100
tents, and more nearby, somethings cooking :shock:

Cheers

ciento

#51 Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch wrote:Ya... "make money".

Maybe someday. LOL

Honestly, I wish I'd never went to school, and never wasted my time doing any of the things I've done with my life. I should have spent it doing something hands-on and productive, that anyone can do. Like mowing lawns. If I had spent all this time mowing lawns instead of computer programming, I would be rich, have my own business, my own fucking lawnmower - top of the line. Every hour or two somebody would give me fifty dollars, and I'd just have to walk around with a lawn mower all day. How did education, or the rest of my life, benefit me? I could have just mowed lawns. I would have been so much more successful.
Florida is where lawnmowers thrive, no state taxes, and the lawns grow
24/7/365 ...well, the alligators grow on the same schedule,
but they love chicken, so keep some Kentucky Fried handy,
in case they are sunning where you need to cut, they'll waddle
for well tossed drumsticks :wink:

l0wt3ch

#52 Post by l0wt3ch »

But I'm Canadian, remember? I can't just up and go lawn-mowing in Florida with the alligators.

wiak

#53 Post by wiak »

l0wt3ch wrote:Ya... "make money".

Maybe someday. LOL

I agree. Total waste of time (except for a hobby). Sadly, especially if its Open-Source world - Linux - GPL - free as in beer. Can't afford to buy much beer if you do it though! So many other things to do with one's life that would be fulfilling and make money for enjoying free-as-in-beer-time. Open-source development curses you to have little or no free time, and certainly no top of the line lawnmower ;-). Pelo was right. Better to be a passenger. Funnily enough, my eight year old, copying his Papa of course, is crazy about Scratch programming and wants to learn Javascript (which he has read about somewhere) and to become a computer programmer as a profession. I plan to put him off...

wiak

Anders3

#54 Post by Anders3 »

Is the latest version still based on Puppy Linux Slacko64?

Does the latest version contain audacity and if so does audacity work with jack, so that it can run simultaniously with rosegarden, qsynth and similar?

Is qsynth, qsampler (linuxsampler), jasampler, rosegarden and SunVox included. If sunvox is not included, will it work to download and install?

Does it include samplv1 and or drumkv1? If not. will it work to run the latest appimages for example, or some slackware version?

Does it work to run several audio apps simultaniously?

Can one change the look of the desktop easily (looks great now. but I prefer simpler grafics)?

Can one run the PPM, Puppy Package Manager in Studio1337? Will it work with the latest versions of apps?

l0wt3ch

#55 Post by l0wt3ch »

Hey, got your email. Enjoy!

puddlemoon

Hello World

#56 Post by puddlemoon »

Hello all.
This is my first post. I have been stalking these threads for the last 6 or 7 years and never felt the need to join as my questions were always (almost) answered already, but i guess it's time if only for some company in my love for puppy.

What an interesting discussion indeed... seems to capture my inner dialog perfectly as I contemplate paying for the latest version. Although I fully appreciate the purist view of free software Philosophy, being a purist scavenger myself and strictly using discarded computers, I came to the personal conclusion that I am happy to pay a talented person for their time putting together something that would take me weeks, months, years...? to create a mutant vaguely resembling 1337....
For me, as a fully self taught half-assed sys-admin, the bottom line is, yes the software is and should remain free but the time to understand it and assemble such a work of art is what i can't afford.

So i just bit the bullet. It will be my first paid software aside from a half dozen android apps...
but really, again, I see it as paying for a service not software, plus support. I hope there is support... I may need it. :wink:

Thanks l0wt3ch, I sure am glad to see you are still up to this!

aloo-shu

#57 Post by aloo-shu »

From what free software licenses are stating, a lot of the debate seems besides the point - everybody can take GPLed software and sell it how they like, modified or not, everybody who purchased or obtained a copy of such paid GPLed software, can redistribute it like they please, take money for themselves, or post free links, and can demand access the sources, so that they can also modify, and the original license needs always to go with the product, you cannot un-GPL something. That's simply the deal with FLOSS