How to copy a folder to a external hard-drive in Linux?

Booting, installing, newbie
sayhello_to_the_world

#1 Post by sayhello_to_the_world »

hello dear experts

i am running linux

want to copy a folder to the external harddrive

how to copy the folder martin in my home directory to the external hard drive:

i guess it lies in the following path;

/var/run/media/martin/32_00_00/a_backup_martin_samsung

to make shure i have runned the mount command....see below the results:

Code: Select all

martin@linux-70ce:~> mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1535300k,nr_inodes=208289,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100)
gvfsd-fuse on /var/run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100)
/dev/sdb1 on /run/media/martin/32_00_00 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdb1 on /var/run/media/martin/32_00_00 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
martin@linux-70ce:~> 

please advice

many thanks in advance

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

You haven't given us much to go on. For a start, what version of PUPPY Linux are you using? Does it have Rox Filer or another form of file manager? Please be precise.
Assuming you have just the one hard drive and it has no other partitions, mount the hard drive by left-clicking on it. Assuming too that your external hard drive is a normal single partition, also mount that in the same way using what I'm guessing is Rox file manager on the distro, so that there are two boxes (windows) on the desktop. Place them side by side.
The internal hard drive. Go to wherever you keep your files, then click and hold down the left mouse button over the file/folder you wish to transfer, begin to drag the cursor and folder across to the external hard drive. Release mouse button, a menu pops up, 'Copy, 'Move' are the two topics you require. I strongly suggest you COPY. Should anything go wrong - there's no reason why it should - you will still have the original folder safe and sound on the original hard drive. If and when you are completely satisfied that the transfer is good, you can then delete from the hard drive should you wish to!

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Just to clarify..

Bad, bad issues while installing ruby gems >> NO response.

Adding a million lines to mysql-dbi >> NO response.

GnuPG keypair store - where? How to proceed with public key >> NO response.

Access to phpmyadmin without passwd - Not possible? >> NO response.

Ruby-extensions - Where do i get them for opensuse 13.1? >> NO response.

Hey, not that I have a problem, but >> get with the program!

You make the effort to post >> take the time to respond.

"Time sinks" don't belong on ANY forum.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

@Semme,
I'm afraid this is now becoming a common occurrence with many posters. Ask a question, expect - and receive - the help of many on here. Never a 'thank you' or even a 'ta-mate!' before moving on, leap-frogging across another series of questions, leaving a scattering of unverified answers in their wake. It's a malady of todays' frenetic world.

Hotdog

#5 Post by Hotdog »

Sayhello_to_the_world,

We are not being harsh but at least let us know that you saw the responses given here. Replying that the suggested fix did or did not work makes it easier for the next user who is experiencing your situation to know which path to follow. Your posts show that you have some knowledge and experience. Don't leave others hanging who may not be as far along as you!

BTW, those who reply to your posts like to feel appreciated and useful, too.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

Uhh, I probably misunderstand the situation here, but someone that has the knowledge on how to post code in this forum, but cannot copy a folder to a harddisk? Seriously??
And why are some of this person's questions related to Opensuse, I cannot see Puppylinux mentioned at all? Besides, an external harddisk is usually automatically registered as /mnt/sd_something. Is this for real?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Sky Aisling

#7 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thanks Semme for that documented clarification.
That was helpful.
Thanks Tallboy.
I wondered the same thing.

Sky Aisling

#8 Post by Sky Aisling »

sayhello-to-the-world,
Please read this as an honest question and not as a criticism.

Are you aware that Puppy Linux Distros are not OpenSuse distros?
They are not even the same family.
Attachments
Linux-Distribution-Families.png
(9.82 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Sky Aisling

#9 Post by Sky Aisling »

There are hundreds of Linux Distros.
For readers who are curious about various Linux Distributions here are a few references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... tributions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
http://distrowatch.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

amigo

#10 Post by amigo »

The OP is not running puppy, so any answers you might give will be of no help. Ignore his posts!

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

sayhello_to_the_world, this forum is for Puppy Linux, not Just Any Linux.

If you are using Puppy Linux with the built-in ROX-Filer --> you open the source and destination directories in separate windows, then left-click-and-drag from source to destination. Select Copy from the resulting context menu and that should take care of it.

If you are using Puppy Linux with another file manager --> you may be able to do like Windows and Copy/Paste more easily. XFCE (Thunar) and MATE (Caja) support that functionality... I don't know about the others. There are many file managers and Window Managers and Desktop Environments. I only know the three I've used ;)

If you are using anything other than Puppy Linux --> you will find your help somewhere else. We can't be expected to support distros that are not ours. We don't have the knowledge and we really aren't interested in spending the time. I would personally suggest heading over to the LinuxQuestions Forum; they can help you far better than we can. Be aware that they will expect you to confirm whether or not their help actually worked, just like we do. If you are only interested in asking questions, but not with responding to them -- you have some skills to learn in the realms of common courtesy as well as good communication.