Fatdog64 700 alpha1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

mories wrote:libelf.so.1 is needed by r600_dri.so (radeon) and is missing
Thanks, fixed. For now, please install elfutils to get libelf.
Tote wrote:[0xd81c88] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x3b5d58] qt4 interface error; unable to load extensions module.
No worries, that warning is harmless.
stemsee wrote:Edit: Just experienced a system lockup while watching youtube videos in seamonkey!
Are you using nvidia?
Gobbi wrote: I didn't find though Icon switcher in Control Panel/Desktop/...
No icon switcher for the time being. It's one of the infrastructure that gets changed, the new switcher that uses the new infrastructure hasn't been written yet. I can tell you how to change themes manually if you feel like it.

@irishrm - glad that it works! :)
billtoo wrote:I can't find the firewall wizard, maybe can't see it for looking?
Firewall is in the Control Panel -> Service Manager, look for "eztables" service.
You can edit its configuration in /etc/eztables/eztables.cfg.
Note that I *have not tested* this myself, so I'm not sure how well it would work.
More docs on http://eztables.net/

Alternatively you may want to install aovfirewall. Copy /etc/aovfirewall.conf.sample to /etc/aovfirewall.conf and change as needed.
Start it from the service manager.

It's a bit more complicated that old firewall script used but it is more flexible and powerful.
stemsee wrote:Edit: Seamonkey does not have permissions to read from inbuilt sdcard reader /sdc1
Must be the "spot" thing. Anyway, I'm happy that firefox works for you.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#17 Post by stemsee »

Using intel gpu core i3 I feel that firefox resolves the lockup issue.

I uninstalled seamonkey and ran fixmenus rebooted and the entry is still in menu>internet for seamonkey.

Having started firefox and set to default, tray icon does not open new default browser. How to set defaults? Is there a defaults-chooser installed?

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

stemsee wrote:I uninstalled seamonkey and ran fixmenus rebooted and the entry is still in menu>internet for seamonkey.
Hmm, this isn't going to be easy to fix. For now you can delete /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop.
Having started firefox and set to default, tray icon does not open new default browser. How to set defaults? Is there a defaults-chooser installed?
No GUI for defaults chooser yet, but you can edit /etc/defaultprograms and change the default programs used.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#19 Post by Billtoo »

Bindee wrote:Billtoo did you use the pipeline fix ?
No, I just compiled the driver, it's working okay for playing videos etc.

Bindee

#20 Post by Bindee »

Billtoo wrote:
Bindee wrote:Billtoo did you use the pipeline fix ?
No, I just compiled the driver, it's working okay for playing videos etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

No firefox scroll ripple or tearing in the above video and it has straight lines ?

ally

#21 Post by ally »

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

FWIW, Fatdog64-700 can use my brand-new NetGear N900 (WNDA4100) USB wireless thingy as soon as it boots from the live CD.

I can't say much more about Fatdog64 because I was trying as many Puppy versions as I could, to see which ones could use the N900. I will say that I don't like its "clean" desktop, with everything hidden in directories and subdirectories that I have to hunt for. I prefer to have everything visible on the desktop at once, at least to start with. :)

Billtoo

#23 Post by Billtoo »

Bindee wrote: No firefox scroll ripple or tearing in the above video and it has straight lines ?
There is some ripple but videos play well in seamonkey and smplayer so that's good enough for me.
Attachments
videoscreen.jpg
(19.39 KiB) Downloaded 1282 times

WillM

#24 Post by WillM »

Thanks for this shiny and new Fatdog64.
I was wondering if there is a way to raise the Desktop Drive Icons farther away from the bottom panel. Thanks again.

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#25 Post by Billtoo »

@Bindee, both VLC and Firefox are self-compiled and not the official binaries from the website. For example firefox is "nightly" (because we aren't allowed to use firefox brand). Thus both will not auto-update.

If you need an updated firefox, you can always delete the built-in one and download and install firefox from official binaries, it should work.

@jamesbond

I tried this method for firefox in Fatdog 700a and it's working.
Attachments
firefox31.0.jpg
(152.21 KiB) Downloaded 1256 times

jamesbond

#26 Post by jamesbond »

Flash wrote:I will say that I don't like its "clean" desktop, with everything hidden in directories and subdirectories that I have to hunt for. I prefer to have everything visible on the desktop at once, at least to start with. :)
Ah, but there is a secret - you can drag-and-drop menu items to the desktop. I remember a couple of guys were asking for this in earlier Fatdog threads (can't remember which one) - and now we can do it. That's the reason for clearing the desktop space.
WillM wrote:Thanks for this shiny and new Fatdog64.
I was wondering if there is a way to raise the Desktop Drive Icons farther away from the bottom panel. Thanks again.
Control Panel --> Desktop --> Event Manager (perhaps I should rename this entry) and then change the "drive icon margins."

@Billtoo - I expect it to work, but I haven't tested it in 700a. Thank you for the confirmation.

mories

pfilesearch

#27 Post by mories »

In this version of pfilesearch (1.24) does not work the icon for selection of items 'Search in' and 'Exclude'.

Installing the latest version (1.35) seems to work properly.

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#28 Post by Billtoo »

I used the Fatdog installer to install to a 16gb flash drive.

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5570]
I couldn't get the proprietary ati driver to compile, I tried the beta
version so I'll try the other later.

It's working pretty well apart from that.

EDIT: Here's the error log file data:

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading radeon module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module drm is in use by: ttm drm_kms_helper radeon
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/3.15.5/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-3.15.5'
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetEffectiveUid':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1787:5: error: incompatible types when returning type 'kuid_t' but 'KCL_TYPE_Uid' was expected
return current_euid();
^
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1793:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
}
^
scripts/Makefile.build:318: recipe for target '/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
Makefile:1310: recipe for target '_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-3.15.5'
Makefile:88: recipe for target 'kmod_build' failed
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
Attachments
taskmanager.jpg
(64.41 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times
screenshot.jpg
(67.78 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#29 Post by Ted Dog »

AMD Beta failed for me too. lsb not installed, but even when added the values for distro and version where blank. Somehow that caused kernel to default to 2.6 series.
Let us know if you get a version to compile.

sgarre13

#30 Post by sgarre13 »

Hi, like the superfast boot up - wish all puppies would do this.

But here's what I don't understand and it's really stopping me from adopting this derivative:-
Upon first shutdown it asks me to create a savefile (like other puppies), so we create one, however when we reboot we don't read anything from that savefile. So I have to configure my wifi and start from scratch on bookmarks etc. So why put me through the mill creating a savefile only for it to be ignored by default??

What's the issue here - why are we ignoring the savefile on reboot, unlike almost every other Puppy version out there.

Is there an idiots guide (clearly I must be one) so that we can read the savefile? The guide is a little obtuse on this for me.

(BTW ISO was written to USB using Unetbootin)

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

Installing the latest version (1.35) seems to work properly.
Thanks, will update.
AMD Beta failed for me too.
Yes, AMD is always slow at updating. The latest beta only supports up to linux-3.13 http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx There's probably patches out there to make it work with newer kernels.

What's the issue here - why are we ignoring the savefile on reboot, unlike almost every other Puppy version out there.

Is there an idiots guide (clearly I must be one) so that we can read the savefile? The guide is a little obtuse on this for me.

(BTW ISO was written to USB using Unetbootin)
We don't slow the boot down waiting for usb devices to become ready, which is nice if you're not booting from usb. Assuming you put your savefile at the root of your usb drive and didn't rename it, then you probably need the waitdev boot option. Try adding waitdev=5 to your kernel line. I've never used Unetbootin, can't help you with the details of that.

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

jamesbond wrote:Control Panel --> Desktop --> Event Manager (perhaps I should rename this entry) and then change the "drive icon margins."
Actually Control Panel --> Desktop --> FatDog64 Event Manager

:-)

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#33 Post by Billtoo »

I used the Fatdog installer and installed to a 32gb usb 3.0 flash
drive.
Attachments
hardinfo.jpg
(51.22 KiB) Downloaded 2387 times
xinescreen.jpg
(92 KiB) Downloaded 2486 times

neerajkolte

#34 Post by neerajkolte »

Just when I was thinking to experiment with linuxfromscratch, you came up with a distro build from it. :D

Thanks @kirk and @jamesbond.

Ok I have edited the vlc.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and changed line 85 from

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file %U
to

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/vlc
now after reboot vlc starts from menu entry. But I just wanted to know if this is the right method?

Also I had old 1Gb USB stick which I used for Fatdog64-631.
I used Fatdog64 installer in control panel of 700a, but after successful installation, while booting gives msg as no boot media.
That drive was booting fine with Fatdog64-631.
Gparted shows boot flag to drive, it's formatted as fat32, files in it also look ok.
Will try installer in 631 to install 700a or 700a installer to install 631 and get back to you (later when I get back home from work).

A few days ago @Wognath reported he was trying out Opera24-developer on Fatdog 700 preview. He was having problems with it.
Has anyone got it running?

Everything else looks really nice.

Thanks again.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

neerajkolte

#35 Post by neerajkolte »

Opps double post. :D
Can't delete.

So Now I would just say reserved for future. :wink: :wink:
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.