Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Jan 2020, 16:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64 700 alpha1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
step

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep 2014, 17:16    Post subject: I'm still not confortable with pet2txz
Subject description: is /sbin/makepkg safe enough?

jamesbond wrote:
re: pet2txz: I'm attaching the updated pet2txz. This is the new pet2txz that will be in the next release, so if you're keen perhaps you can try it and let me know whether it works for you.
Having been scorched yesterday with a couple of hours spent repairing my system, I want to understand what is the potential for pet2txz to break loose again. I compared this new script with the old one and it's a huge re-write (ok). I looked for a lines that run "find -type l -exec rm {} \;" but couldn't find any. Finally I found one inside /sbin/makepkg, the (patched) slackware package maker. So, that's the guy with the potential of breaking havoc in a system.

James, do you consider the way pet2txz uses makepkg totally safe?

step

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep 2014, 17:59    Post subject: Qemu not working?  

Is Qemu working in 700a1? I tried package versions qemu-arm-x86_64 2.0.0 and qemu-arm-x86_64 2.1.0 from the 700 repo, with and without 32bit-slacko-3.sfs (should be without, right) and each time got an error message. Used Qemu_Control_Center-0.6-x86_64-PET.txz to start Qemu.
Code:

# qemu-arm-x86_64 2.1.0 with 32bit-slacko-3.sfs
debug: qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -m 512 -enable-kvm -hda /mnt/sda5/file/VM/precise-571RetroCsipeszPupV5EngHun2014Aug.iso -hdb /dev/null -cdrom /dev/null -smp 1
qemu-system-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

# qemu-arm-x86_64 2.1.0
debug: qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -m 512 -enable-kvm -hda /mnt/sda5/file/VM/precise-571RetroCsipeszPupV5EngHun2014Aug.iso -hdb /dev/null -cdrom /dev/null -smp 1
qemu-system-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# qemu-arm-x86_64 2.0.0
qemu-system-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# qemu-arm-x86_64 2.0.0 with 32bit-slacko-3.sfs
qemu-system-x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 01:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
James, do you consider the way pet2txz uses makepkg totally safe?
It should, but of course bugs can happen ... Embarassed

You don't need 32bit libs to run qemu. For the time being, please install libnss and libnspr from the repo. They shouldn't be needed - qemu should use libnss/libnspr already in seamonkey/firefox - but because of a bug in /etc/profile, you do need to install them for now. qemu 2.1.0 requires libvte, this should be pulled out automatically when you install from repo.

I have no idea why your qemu fails on libncurses, it could be part of your symlink screw up before. Try running "ldconfig" to restore most of the library symlinks. Btw what's inside that qemu-control-panel pet? Does it only contain scripts, or does it also have qemu binaries (which may override the qemu from 700)?

Gobbi

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 03:47    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

I have no idea why your qemu fails on libncurses

Unable to run qemu at first shot , after the terminal gave me the message that I should load libnss3.so , loading libnss made Gslapt tick not only libnss package but libnspr as well . If one untick libnspr and install only libnss , then the next message in terminal tells to load also libncurses ...
step

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 05:54    Post subject: qemu not working SOLVED  

jamesbond wrote:

You don't need 32bit libs to run qemu.
32bit-slacko-3.sfs unloaded.
Quote:
For the time being, please install libnss and libnspr from the repo. They shouldn't be needed - qemu should use libnss/libnspr already in seamonkey/firefox - but because of a bug in /etc/profile, you do need to install them for now. qemu 2.1.0 requires libvte, this should be pulled out automatically when you install from repo.
Gslapt doesn't tick libvte when qemu 2.1.0 is ticked.
First I tested qemu 2.0.0 with libnss and libnspr and it failed (missing libncurses) - as Gobbi report above.
Then I tested qemu 2.0.1 with libnss, libnspr and libvte and it worked!
Quote:

I have no idea why your qemu fails on libncurses, it could be part of your symlink screw up before. Try running "ldconfig" to restore most of the library symlinks.
Gobbi had the same problem, but I guess we can leave 2.0.0 behind and use the working 2.1.0.
Quote:
[ Btw what's inside that qemu-control-panel pet? Does it only contain scripts, or does it also have qemu binaries (which may override the qemu from 700)?
Just script and desktop files. You replied to Qemu control panel thread here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=797135&search_id=1815038787#797135. I installed the Qemu control panel from the FD 700 repo. File list from Gslapt:
/usr/
/usr/share/
/usr/share/applications/
/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/
/usr/share/pixmaps/qemu.png
/usr/bin/
/usr/bin/qemu_gui
/Qemu_Control_Center-0.6.pet.specs

Summary: qemu 2.1.0 txz from the repo works with the addition of three libraries. Qemu control center 0.6 from the repo works as well.
Thanks for your help!

I'd like to add some contrib packages to the 700 repo. How can I get upload access?

Last edited by step on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 09:55; edited 2 times in total
Yoni

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 06:45    Post subject:  

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/700/

I like the new 700 but i also have Ripple fest and can confirm Vblank for nouveau doesn't work just like 631.

No Nvidia proprietary drivers in the above package folder ?

Sad Sad Sad
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 08:06    Post subject:  

Hi,
How can I increase sensitivity of a mouse.
Since having 2 displays I need to cover more screen in the same space available to move mouse.

Thanks.
-Neeraj.

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”
- Amara’s Law.
step

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 09:49    Post subject:  

Yoni wrote:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/700/
Thanks. I meant upload access. But perhaps I should have asked, more clearly, what is the process to add my contributed files to the official 700 repo.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:10    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
... Btw what's inside that qemu-control-panel pet? Does it only contain scripts, or does it also have qemu binaries (which may override the qemu from 700)?
I think he is using the Puppy approached presented by @MikeB and maintained here. It is designed to simplify virtual PC setup and is s set of scripts. Might be a simple addition to FATDOG Menu system if QEMU is made a part of the GA. @StemSee has deployed such in his distro as an example reference.

So far, it my findings that the QEMU only impacts the ISO and does NOT impact any system performance or operation in its presence in Menu for anyone who might be interested.

Hope this helps

jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 11:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
I installed the Qemu control panel from the FD 700 repo.

Qemu control panel isn't in the repo. You must have converted it from a pet. Make sure that the pet doesn't have qemu binary in it (looks like you've done the right thing, though).

Quote:
No Nvidia proprietary drivers in the above package folder ?

No, not yet. We only package proprietary drivers when it's final or near final release. This is still alpha release, kernels will still change often. You can try to install it yourself, though.

Quote:
How can I increase sensitivity of a mouse.
Control Panel --> Desktop --> pupx (or just run pupx on terminal).

Quote:
I meant upload access.
I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
QEMU is made a part of the GA
Qemu is part of (next-release) devx.
Abdulrahman

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 19:53    Post subject:  

Can someone post up a basic idiots install guide for the Nvidia proprietary drivers as i searched google and it said something about blacklisting the previous drivers and i got a bit lost ?

Embarassed
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep 2014, 00:28    Post subject:  

Hi @jamesbond,
Fatdog64 control panel > Desktop > pupx doesn't work.
In terminal gives error as
Code:
#pupx
/usr/bin/pupx: line 28: /usr/share/pupx/locale/english.po: No such file or directory
#
There is no directory named pupx in /usr/share.

- Neeraj.

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”
- Amara’s Law.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep 2014, 01:32    Post subject: Thanks4QEMU  

jamesbond wrote:
Qemu is part of (next-release) devx.
Thanks @JamesBond.

Including it in Devx or the base, either way, its a great contribution by you and the FATDOG team.

If you have already reviewed @MikeB's script for Puppy, it or some other QEMU GUI might be helpful and visually useful to accelerate guidance and understanding.

Again, THANKS!!! Cheers for this and all that's done for our benefit in FATDOG usage to taking advantage of 64bit PCs and Laptops. Very Happy

neerajkolte

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 02:08    Post subject:  

Hello everyone,

Anyone wants to make their own sfs of Opera devloper v25 browser .
download .deb file fromHere.
Then follow instructions from Here.
Thanks to @Wognath now I have made my first working sfs file.

Edit: Also had to install libnss which also installed libnspr as a dependancy.

Thanks.
-Neeraj.

- Amara’s Law.
Pavan

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 18:45    Post subject:  

Abdulrahman wrote:
Can someone post up a basic idiots install guide for the Nvidia proprietary drivers as i searched google and it said something about blacklisting the previous drivers and i got a bit lost ?

Embarassed

This ---------^
Page 15 of 17 [243 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: