New "Mean Puppy" released ...

News, happenings
raffy

read

#31 Post by raffy »

Why do you (always?) have to post a question when the answer is there for your own reading/searching? :roll:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jonyo

Re: read

#32 Post by jonyo »

raffy wrote:Why do you (always?) have to post a question when the answer is there for your own reading/searching? :roll:
Missed the boat here.. :oops: & goofed. Always? :? You're the first to ask.. Google has been mentioned twice by one other (whom I have zero respect for..rags on a ton of others..) in which I received wonderful answers from others.

Maybe best that you just ignore my questions.
Last edited by jonyo on Fri 28 Dec 2007, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Mean to return

#33 Post by Lobster »

JohnMurga wrote: I am focusing more on the next release of murgaLua
I am glad to see DSL is making good use of your language. I did a few experimental releases of Photon (Tmxxine with programming) one I released with Java SDK but it is not very good (Photon Beta that is).

MurgaLua can easily be added as a .pet to Dingo (hopefully)

I am really glad that Mean Puppy will return in the future. It was one of the leanest, fastest Puppys and used Opera to good effect. In the heat of
the moment, I thought we had lost it . . . good to hear it might well 'mean to return' 8)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MeanPuppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cretsiah

meanpupp2.02

#34 Post by cretsiah »

Hi I happen to get the meanpup2.02 release from wolf_pup's retro multi puppy.iso aka 60's pup ...i love it but on my 1.7ghz amd cpu with 1 gig ram (yes it works and only uses around 100megs wiith opera being open) opera seems to chew up the ram in this release....otherwise it sits in around the 73meg area...73 megs oout 1000megs lol its kinda over kill hehehehe.. :twisted: however when trying to use the petget manager i couldnt download any extras properly.....was hoping to add the likes of gaim or xchat for easy access to puppy chat channel....but had to go in via mibbit.com.....
well b4 i sign off this post ram usage got up to 10% or 110megs lol....

any way its cool and thanks heaps.....i will attempt it on my not so flash 350hz intel box and see what happens....

but i am wondering about the pets / dotpups i cant seem to access ..appears to start downloading then says failure

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Hi, JohnM's link is dead - does anyone have a link to the latest meanpup? cheers!

greengeek

#36 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:Out of curiousity, I recently checked out Mr. Murga's online CV and even the complexity of that left me speechless and in awe. Why was I born so daft?
Any chance of a link? cheers

Keef

#37 Post by Keef »

You can get it (Meanpup 2.0.2) from Ally's collection at archive.org.

ally

#38 Post by ally »

tallboy

#39 Post by tallboy »

Out of curiousity, I recently checked out Mr. Murga's online CV and even the complexity of that left me speechless and in awe. Why was I born so daft?
Ditto! :shock:
I am deeply impressed!

http://www.murga.org/files/JohnMurgaCV.doc
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

musher0

#40 Post by musher0 »

Impressed too.

However, what impressed me more is the tone. Do all professionals in the
UK write their c.v.'s like that? I mean, there is a lot of self-gloating in there.
It looks like a "Me, Myself and I" piece.

According to some local job counselors, we should try for a one-page
c.v., maximum. with a neutral tone. The rest should be said at the interview.
Each country has its own c.v. style, I suppose.

(I also thought "Murga" was a nickname... Apologies.)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:However, what impressed me more is the tone. Do all professionals in the UK write their c.v.'s like that? I mean, there is a lot of self-gloating in there.
It looks like a "Me, Myself and I" piece.
Required in the new world. Self-marketing is now a requirement if you want to secure a job. Employers need to tick a checkbox or no-one gets the job. (except maybe an immigrant being frugal with the truth)

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#42 Post by JohnMurga »

I often check the health of the forum, but don't see so many of the posts ...
This one did get my attention though :-P

I also find that link quite amusing...

And at the time (it is well over a decade old), there were prospective employers who did not like it due to the fact that they felt that it was unrealistic (and maybe the tone).

My current employer did some fact checking and gave me a chance despite the way I presented myself ...
And we have been happy ever after ...
Now I find myself working in the same company for 11 years straight, and in a new continent where after a few years I have found a happiness that I never expected.

As for murgaLua, it is still actively developed but mostly kept to myself as I realized that I could be a bit difficult with things that I care about, and it was easier to keep it private ... However, I do plan to publish it again soon (as I think that some people may still want it).

Mean also had additional versions, but none of then were that good.

Cheers
JohnM

tallboy

#43 Post by tallboy »

John, a short comment on long CVs: I sat for several years as a student representative in the assessment comittee for employment of educational personell, at the University in Oslo. We once got an application for a professorate, where the applicant during the last 5 years had witten and published 6 books, co-authored 4 other books, written 17 scientific papers, had supervised several groups of phd. students, set up 2 research groups consisting of post-doctors, all this while he worked as a professor, with full-time lectures and his own research project, and at the same time got married and had 2 children.
We laughed, and found it to be such an unrealistic application, that we had to investigate any of this actually was true. Well, it was, and it also turned out that the leadership at his latest posting were pleased to see him go, because he was a total workaholic and exhausted everybody around him, who were all expected to follow his tempo! He had already accepted another offer, by the time we contacted him again.
Some people, like yourself, accomplishes a great number of things, hopefully without being a workaholic! :D

So, I am pleased to know that you met an employer that actually checked your cv, and that you met real happiness in life. That is, after all, the most important goal to meet.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

greengeek

#44 Post by greengeek »

True - but there is one thing missing from that CV - we do need an updated Mean pup - one that still fits on a business card CD (ie 50MB) but with a new kernel, and including an Opera that handles the 2018 web.
:)

Surely that's not asking too much?? :twisted: