MyDbox,interactive Dropbox installer (cloud storage utility)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Whitesnow

MyDbox,interactive Dropbox installer (cloud storage utility)

#1 Post by Whitesnow »

December 14th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.2 version available.

Please, before install this software, install a new as possible Dbus version (or be sure to have a new built-in version) and remove old Dropbox versions and/or old MyDbox.
You can download (upgradable, if needed by next Dropbox versions) 32 bit only, current stable version of Dbus from my repository, pet packages section.

1.2 version changelog:

- ".dropbox-dist" folder issue fixed
- /opt/dropbox path removed
- Dropbox automatic updates fixed.

Read more at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 100#814850

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------------

For historical interest:

November 29th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.1 version available.

1.1 version changelog:

- Dropbox configuration folder issue fixed (read more at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 100#811031)
- code tuned to be more user-friendly (more information, more user control)
- link in /root/Startup folder, to autorun Dropbox at every boot, removed. Dropbox already creates one in /root/.config/autostart folder.

For historical interest:

What MyDbox does:

- interacts with GUI user (information messages, as well as action and error management)
- installs latest Dropbox - https://dropbox.com - (root or spot user choice, 32 or 64 bit)
- space saving behaviour: leaves a clean system (no unuseful files, like downloaded archives or temporary directories)
- provides unofficial icon, launcher script, desktop entry and link to run/autorun Dropbox at every boot
- removes itself (unofficial icon, launcher script, desktop entry and link - and also Dropbox, according to user choice -)

Please note, Dropbox auto-updates itself, so you need to install once.

Full information about this project is on my blog (use search box). You can download MyDbox also via my repository. See my sign for addresses.
Program tested only on Slacko 5.7. Feedbacks are welcome. Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
mydbox.png
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 4754 times
mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times
Last edited by Whitesnow on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 20:31, edited 4 times in total.
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

phredo

#2 Post by phredo »

Installed fine. Thanks for the pet. But, like all my previous dropboxes, when I boot up dropbox starts but doesn't remember my account. I have to to through the signup process again, although it does then remember my dropbox folder location.

Isn't there some way to fix that, so it just asks for my password?

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

when I boot up dropbox starts but doesn't remember my account. I have to to through the signup process again, although it does then remember my dropbox folder location.
I got this working via a clunky amount of steps, but works. Perhaps Whitesnow could incorporate some of my steps into his pet, which is far more elegant?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95470

phredo

#4 Post by phredo »

Well, I seem to have found a solution to having to enter my info each time dropbox starts, from a post by Fernando S at forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=55766#post-410131 :

Hi, I'm running puppy linux 5.25 and had the same problem, but I've found an easy fix to run dropbox under a FRUGAL install:

I moved the .dropbox folder outside the /root folder (where is installed by default), and made a link inside /root pointing to the real location. In my case, I've moved the .drobbox folder to /mnt/home/.dropbox

PAY ATTENTION THAT I'M MOVING AND LINKING THE .dropbox FOLDER, NOT THE Dropbox FOLDER

Although he doesn't state it precisely, my dropbox folder is at /mnt/home/dropbox, and the method above worked for me. My first try was to move the .dropbox folder to my Dropbox folder, but it turns out that there is already a .dropbox file there, so I didn't replace the file with the folder, but moved the folder instead to the higher level, just as the instructions above say to do, e.g. to /mt/home. Now Dropbox automatically logs in, that is, it just shows up in the right tray.

Whitesnow

#5 Post by Whitesnow »

It seems to me that this could be a permission problem.
/mnt/home is actually /initrd/mnt/dev_save and it's set to 777 by default (everyone could read, write and execute). So, moving your (default permission) .dropbox directory there means can do everything into it (read configuration files - your login data - included). Maybe, in your default root directory, permissions were more restrictive.

Please, verify your permissions for these directories:

- /root
- /root/spot (only if you chose this as Dropbox user)
- /mnt/home
- /<your-path>/.dropbox

At last, what Puppy do you run?
sfeeley wrote:his pet
Her pet. I'm a woman.

phredo

#6 Post by phredo »

In my case, when I look at "properties" for each folder, in /root every item on the grid is checked except for Group/Write and World/Write. In dev_save all nine categories are checked.

My .dropbox folder is now in home (aka dev_save).

I'm running Slacko 5.7 and not using spot.

As I wrote earlier, Dropbox starts up and logs in on its own transparently.

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

thanks for this, Whitesnow--kept dropbox working for me in Precise 5.5-5.7.1. Because it asks upon setup if i want the 64 bit or 32 bit version, i chose it for a fresh Slacko64 install. it works well, though it required a reboot for the taskbar icon/status indicator to show up.

is there a way to make it log on automatically? it prompts for log-on credentials regardless of what distro i use.

thanks again.

edit: finally see my oversight and the solution. i was surrounded by it...
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

luiscuadrado123

#8 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

phredo wrote:Well, I seem to have found a solution to having to enter my info each time dropbox starts, from a post by Fernando S at forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=55766#post-410131 :

Hi, I'm running puppy linux 5.25 and had the same problem, but I've found an easy fix to run dropbox under a FRUGAL install:

I moved the .dropbox folder outside the /root folder (where is installed by default), and made a link inside /root pointing to the real location. In my case, I've moved the .drobbox folder to /mnt/home/.dropbox

PAY ATTENTION THAT I'M MOVING AND LINKING THE .dropbox FOLDER, NOT THE Dropbox FOLDER

Although he doesn't state it precisely, my dropbox folder is at /mnt/home/dropbox, and the method above worked for me. My first try was to move the .dropbox folder to my Dropbox folder, but it turns out that there is already a .dropbox file there, so I didn't replace the file with the folder, but moved the folder instead to the higher level, just as the instructions above say to do, e.g. to /mt/home. Now Dropbox automatically logs in, that is, it just shows up in the right tray.
THIS IS THE SOLUTIONS FOR MY TOO

THANKS!

maybe it could be possible that the author add this option to the original pet

Whitesnow

MyDbox, version 1.1

#9 Post by Whitesnow »

MyDbox, version 1.1, is forthcoming.
It will come with an alert concerning MyDbox behaviour fix in Puppy (look at screenshot below). It appears when user already has got a Dropbox configuration folder.

Now, some notes about my personal experience (frugal install):

1. it seems that you can't migrate Dropbox configuration without lose settings. Everytime and everywhere. Probably safety reason (identity antitheft)
2. particularly in Puppy, you cannot use pupsave to store account settings (due to union of layers?). Although you can automatically login more times in the same session, after a reboot, Dropbox reacts like its configuration was moved (point 1) and removes identity files when you attempt to login again (just before you see the login prompt)
3. external pupsave locations are good to put configuration folder (i.e. mount points other than /mnt/home, too). If you move your older one, you have to login only one more time, however.

I hope this information can help to better understand Dropbox behaviour (problem isn't in my installer, but I'm trying to fix it anyway ;)).

Bye.
Attachments
old-configuration-alert.png
(17.13 KiB) Downloaded 3125 times
Last edited by Whitesnow on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

Whitesnow

MyDbox 1.1 version available

#10 Post by Whitesnow »

November 29th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.1 version available.
Look at first post, in this thread, to find the pet.

phredo

Latest dropbox wouldn't start!

#11 Post by phredo »

Yesterday, when I started up Slacko, I got an error on my screen saying, "Couldn't start Dropbox.," followed by some suggested reasons, none of which I knew enough to deal with. I looked on the web and found many people are having the same problem, in Linux, Windows, and Mac. Several people posted ways to fix the problem and others said it worked for them or didn't. I tried the ones that seemed pertinent to Puppy, but they didn't work for me.

I tried installing your 1.1, thinking that maybe you had fixed it, but got the same results, although thanks for doing the home/.dropbox thing.

Hopefully some one (Whitesnow) can figure it out. I assume it's something Dropbox did recently and that mydropbox updated to the most recent version, which creates the problem. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can find an older version to install that won't automatically update to the new one but will still be recognized by Dropbox.

Puppus Dogfellow

#12 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

thanks for this, Whitesnow. 1.1 has been working fine for me since installation (about ten days now). on my machines running precise 5.7.2/a derivative thereof, it autoupdated to the three series. on my machine running precise 5.5., it's still reading 2.10.28. anyway, i don't reboot very often but the fix for the log in seems to have worked (three for three).
clarification: two of the three machines running a precise 571 variant auto updated to 3.03. one of them updated to 2.10.52.
phredo:
PostPosted: Today, at 20:16 Post subject: [Complicity] Temporary fix
I found a Dropbox pet here: https://www.copy.com/s/fHjZc1GCyrtF , which was referenced from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&t=95939 .

It worked, but at first moving .dropbox to home and creating a shortcut in root to it didn't seem to keep it from asking for a new setup each time I start it.

Then I noticed that this version also creates a ".dropbox-dist" folder in root. Although it apparently has no contents, it must be important somehow, because moving it also to home (no shortcut back needed) took care of the startup problem.

So until we know how to fix the v 3.0.3 problem (unless I'm the only one having it!), or unless Dropbox stops supporting this v 2.10.28, we have a temporary fix.
good to know, phredo, thanks. i earlier tried the fix without moving the .dropbox-dist folder--it's nice to know why it didn't work.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

phredo

Temporary fix

#13 Post by phredo »

I found a Dropbox pet here: https://www.copy.com/s/fHjZc1GCyrtF , which was referenced from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&t=95939 .

It worked, but at first moving .dropbox to home and creating a shortcut in root to it didn't seem to keep it from asking for a new setup each time I start it.

Then I noticed that this version also creates a ".dropbox-dist" folder in root. Although it apparently has no contents, it must be important somehow, because moving it also to home (no shortcut back needed) took care of the startup problem.

So until we know how to fix the v 3.0.3 problem (unless I'm the only one having it!), or unless Dropbox stops supporting this v 2.10.28, we have a temporary fix.

Whitesnow

Dropbox 3.0.3 version problem

#14 Post by Whitesnow »

Problem with Dropbox update to 3.0.3 found (explanation later). I'm working on a patch or directly on a new installer. Please, wait. :)

Whitesnow

Dropbox 3.0.3 version, update problem explanation

#15 Post by Whitesnow »

Dropbox 3.0.3 version, update problem promised explanation.
Since 3.0.3 update, the problem is the old Dbus built-in versions in Puppy Linux (probably every official one, until now).
I compiled, packed and I'm going to share the latest stable release of Dbus, 32 bit. Thank it, Dropbox starts without problems anymore (I tested in Slacko 5.7 - so, 32 bit only -).
I'm going to share my new installer, too. It will fix the ".dropbox-dist item" (Dropbox program default folder, built, if there isn't any, by application at every update). Therefore, custom /opt/dropbox path will be definitively removed. This will fix next automatic updates.
Please, remember to clean your system from old Dropbox versions, before install every new MyDbox.
If you already installed an old MyDbox package, you can do directly from the system uninstaller.

Whitesnow

MyDbox 1.2 version available

#16 Post by Whitesnow »

December 14th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.2 version available.
Look at first post, in this thread, to find the pet.

phredo

Dropbox still not starting

#17 Post by phredo »

I uninstalled the 2.10 version, deleted the .dropbox stuff from the root and home folders and deleted /opt/dropbox, and then installed mydropbox-1.2.

But I'm still getting the "Couldn't start dropbox" message! Perhaps something didn't get completely uninstalled before, because when I rebooted after uninstalling the earlier version and the files, I got a "can't find dropbox" or something like that upon booting.

Also, by the way, the dropbox-dist folder was created again in the root folder. After Dropbox wouldn't load, I tried moving it to home and linking back to root, but that didn't help. On the other hand, I found that mydropbox-1.2 did put the .dropbox folder in home with the link-back to root. And no /opt/dropbox folder was created.

Whitesnow

Re: Dropbox still not starting

#18 Post by Whitesnow »

phredo wrote:the dropbox-dist folder was created again in the root folder. After Dropbox wouldn't load, I tried moving it to home and linking back to root, but that didn't help. On the other hand, I found that mydropbox-1.2 did put the .dropbox folder in home with the link-back to root. And no /opt/dropbox folder was created.
You have to read carefully first post in this thread. Yesterday, I updated MyDbox and its information. I wrote about new Dropbox update specific Dbus requirement, too. All is written there (follow read-more link, in that post, and install Dbus before MyDbox). I suggest to uninstall every Dropbox-related stuff again (except "Dropbox" folder) and to follow instructions.
phredo wrote:I'm still getting the "Couldn't start dropbox" message!
If you still have problems after procedure above, you could post temporary error file created by Dropbox (look at address in error window).

phredo

#19 Post by phredo »

You were correct: I hadn't read the first entry. With Dbus loaded first, it now works!

But the new interface is annoying. It wouldn't let me choose my home drive, saying there was already a Dropbox folder there. I had to trick it by first renaming my Dropbox folder to something else, selecting the home drive for Dropbox, let it start to update, quit Dropbox, delete the new Dropbox folder, and rename my old folder to Dropbox. When I restarted Dropbox, it began happily indexing my files. (I did the above to save having to download all my files from the Dropbox server.)

"All's well that ends well." Thanks for being on top of everything!

666philb

#20 Post by 666philb »

thanks Whitesnow,

it's good to have dropbox working again :D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331