How did you get interested in Linux/ Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
starhawk

#31 Post by starhawk »

Colonel Panic, I'm confused about something in your sig. When was Slacko 59x released? or is it still in Beta? Also, I have a copy of Basic Linux, if you'd like to play with it again and have lost your floppies ;) PM me if you're interested.

My story...

I had futzed around with Ubuntu in college. This was on and off in 2007 and 2008. On my old Toshiba 1415-S173 (Willamette P4 (IIRC), half a gig of RAM) Ubuntu 7.04 (and later, 7.10 and 8.04) floundered at about the same speed as my HP s7220n desktop (Celeron M, a full gig of RAM) ran XP. I was mildly impressed, and kept poking at Linux over the next couple years, even though the Toshiba died before Ubuntu 8.10 happened (to this day I'm not sure what failed; I suspect the CPU, but I never did get around to the autopsy...).

A year or so after college, a friend of mine gave me a Pentium III desktop. I attempted to load an old version of Xubuntu on it, and encountered easily the strangest hardware failure I've ever encountered. It had a CD-RW drive that, as my Xubuntu install CD was read, it wrote garbage data back and corrupted the CD itself. I'm really not sure how that works... all I know is, I replaced both CD and drive before the system would boot.

At around the same time, I started fooling around with a very strange system I'd actually purchased. It's an odd sort of computer called a "thin client" -- for those not familiar with such things, it's basically a remote-desktop sort of thing. A thin client is a small-form-factor PC with just enough brains and storage to act as a display and input adapter for a network cable, so that one can compute far away from the actual host system. All the real computation is done on a virtual machine in a server somewhere fairly distant, using SSL/SSH and VPN type stuff to link the two. For this reason, thin clients tend to be marginally more capable, performance-wise, than a graphing calculator -- and with no real hard drive at that. Almost all use what's called a "DiskOnModule" or DOM -- an IDE (or, rarely, SATA) flash disk. They're physically tiny, and I've yet to see one larger than half a gig. It's just enough space to shoehorn in XP Embedded and something like a Citrix client, to make everything work. (For those who lived through the 70s, the idea of a thin client is not too dissimilar from a VT100 terminal -- except that the serial link is now a 10/100 LAN cable, and you get real actual graphics and Web browsing and such.)

I was trying, at the time, to teach this particular thin client (which was especially anemic, since it was an older model!) how to be a proper desktop computer. I knew that XP wasn't going to cut it, and I couldn't afford a retail copy anyways. I looked around for something lighter-weight than Ubuntu (which would have very likely refused to even install on that heap) and I found something called WattOS that was just barely beginning to start at the time. I posted something on their forum that asked a few questions. Around that point, the people on another forum I browse (it's a computer performance-enthusiasts' forum, entertainingly enough) kept saying "WattOS? WTF is WattOS? You should try this Puppy Linux thing that people have actually heard of." A week went by, no response from the WattOS people... I posted on this very forum, had eager help in less than two hours (I want to say it was in less than one hour!) and the rest, as they say, was history.

I now run Puppy full-time. I've had a few Pups, but the current one is Puppy 57 non-PAE (I keep meaning to fix that) with jejy69's MATE 181 SFS plunked on top. For the record, getting used to Puppy from Win7 -- took me all of ~30 minutes.

My mother is in love with XP and Win7 and won't touch Puppy. She's been hearing "you get what you pay for" for so long that she can't seem to un-believe it. She's also convinced that learning a new OS is insanely hard. It'd actually be funny if it weren't kind of sad...

mavrothal

#32 Post by mavrothal »

As my signature says, I got interested in the OLPC project back in 2007/8.
When I got my first XO-1 I realised that the software stack (Gnome/Python) was really killing that wonderful 400MHz/256MB machine, and after getting a bit comfortable with Linux and the command line (I'm a Mac user. Use Windows only as a last resort…) started looking for alternatives.
Five hears ago, Puppy looked as a good choice so I went for it.
With help from both the Puppy and the OLPC community, we now have puppy/fatdog running in all 4 OLPC XO models.
Too bad the OLPC project is fading away.
Oh well, was a fun 5 year ride...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

SnowShinobi

#33 Post by SnowShinobi »

I registered to this forum moments ago, so I figure I'd formally introduce myself here.

Puppy Linux came to me after some general interest in exploring what was beyond Windows OS -- spent a short while with Ubuntu, but I wasn't ready for it, I had interests in getting into Game Design and Windows was my platform of choice. I had looked into Puppy, but skipped past it.

Then I found myself the need to reboot an old Acer laptop - Hard drive seems to have gone dead, but everything else works. Plugged in that flash drive with Lucid Pup installed and it was like new. I spent about a month getting used to it and upgraded to the recent Precise 5.7 and I've been happy with it since.

Puppy came to me mostly as some sort of magicks I could use to revive an old laptop and it's become my secondary OS when I'm not working.

Cheers!

Colonel Panic

#34 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Colonel Panic, I'm confused about something in your sig. When was Slacko 59x released? or is it still in Beta? Also, I have a copy of Basic Linux, if you'd like to play with it again and have lost your floppies ;) PM me if you're interested.

My story...

I had futzed around with Ubuntu in college. This was on and off in 2007 and 2008. On my old Toshiba 1415-S173 (Willamette P4 (IIRC), half a gig of RAM) Ubuntu 7.04 (and later, 7.10 and 8.04) floundered at about the same speed as my HP s7220n desktop (Celeron M, a full gig of RAM) ran XP. I was mildly impressed, and kept poking at Linux over the next couple years, even though the Toshiba died before Ubuntu 8.10 happened (to this day I'm not sure what failed; I suspect the CPU, but I never did get around to the autopsy...).

A year or so after college, a friend of mine gave me a Pentium III desktop. I attempted to load an old version of Xubuntu on it, and encountered easily the strangest hardware failure I've ever encountered. It had a CD-RW drive that, as my Xubuntu install CD was read, it wrote garbage data back and corrupted the CD itself. I'm really not sure how that works... all I know is, I replaced both CD and drive before the system would boot.

At around the same time, I started fooling around with a very strange system I'd actually purchased. It's an odd sort of computer called a "thin client" -- for those not familiar with such things, it's basically a remote-desktop sort of thing. A thin client is a small-form-factor PC with just enough brains and storage to act as a display and input adapter for a network cable, so that one can compute far away from the actual host system. All the real computation is done on a virtual machine in a server somewhere fairly distant, using SSL/SSH and VPN type stuff to link the two. For this reason, thin clients tend to be marginally more capable, performance-wise, than a graphing calculator -- and with no real hard drive at that. Almost all use what's called a "DiskOnModule" or DOM -- an IDE (or, rarely, SATA) flash disk. They're physically tiny, and I've yet to see one larger than half a gig. It's just enough space to shoehorn in XP Embedded and something like a Citrix client, to make everything work. (For those who lived through the 70s, the idea of a thin client is not too dissimilar from a VT100 terminal -- except that the serial link is now a 10/100 LAN cable, and you get real actual graphics and Web browsing and such.)

I was trying, at the time, to teach this particular thin client (which was especially anemic, since it was an older model!) how to be a proper desktop computer. I knew that XP wasn't going to cut it, and I couldn't afford a retail copy anyways. I looked around for something lighter-weight than Ubuntu (which would have very likely refused to even install on that heap) and I found something called WattOS that was just barely beginning to start at the time. I posted something on their forum that asked a few questions. Around that point, the people on another forum I browse (it's a computer performance-enthusiasts' forum, entertainingly enough) kept saying "WattOS? WTF is WattOS? You should try this Puppy Linux thing that people have actually heard of." A week went by, no response from the WattOS people... I posted on this very forum, had eager help in less than two hours (I want to say it was in less than one hour!) and the rest, as they say, was history.

I now run Puppy full-time. I've had a few Pups, but the current one is Puppy 57 non-PAE (I keep meaning to fix that) with jejy69's MATE 181 SFS plunked on top. For the record, getting used to Puppy from Win7 -- took me all of ~30 minutes.

My mother is in love with XP and Win7 and won't touch Puppy. She's been hearing "you get what you pay for" for so long that she can't seem to un-believe it. She's also convinced that learning a new OS is insanely hard. It'd actually be funny if it weren't kind of sad...
Hi starhawk,

I tried to download Slacko 6.0 beta from the thread, and got directed to a link for Slacko 5.9.3 instead. Here's the one I got;

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/slacko/

You may have better luck in finding one for Slacko 6.0 beta.

As for Basic Linux, it doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time (five years at least). Nevertheless, I still think it's an excellent distro for very old computers. The one I used it on dated back to 1996, and had a 100 MHZ CPU (Pentium 1), a 1.2 GB hard drive, 32 MB of RAM, and no CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

It was certainly an amazing technical achievement of Steve (Darnold)'s to pack so much functionality into something so small. I was able to surf the Web and even post on forums like this one using something I'd booted into RAM from a pair of floppies.

For that machine, and bearing in mind that those were the days before Youtube, it was fine but I wouldn't want to use it on this one.

There are better options now for those with newer computers (even an eleven year old one like mine). I'm posting this message from a full installation of Puppy EmSee 2.1, and frankly it dwarfs BasicLinux in terms of what it can do (and all without having to install any additional software).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#35 Post by starhawk »

Slacko 593 appears to be an abandoned beta or an early version of Slacko 600. I find no reference to it on the Wikka or anywhere other than where you posted.

I do agree we've come a long way ;)

Colonel Panic

#36 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Slacko 593 appears to be an abandoned beta or an early version of Slacko 600. I find no reference to it on the Wikka or anywhere other than where you posted.

I do agree we've come a long way ;)
Yeah, definitely. When I first started browsing the Web as part of a course I was taking in 1997, I was using Netscape 2 in Windows 95 and it was very basic by comparison with what we expect from a browser nowadays - there was no Flash back then and certainly no Youtube or online videos. I don't think I'd even have been able to post on a forum like this with it (though perhaps someone could put me right on that one).

Having said that, Flash is still too unstable for my liking and it's a pity it's apparently not going to be developed any further for Linux. I've had mixed results with HTML5 which is supposed to be replacing it.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#37 Post by James C »

Purely for informational purposes, slacko-5.9.3.iso is the latest release (Beta 2) of the upcoming Slacko 6.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 892#783892

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -5.9.3.iso

Since it's a Beta there's only the one non-pae version available.

Colonel Panic

#38 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:Purely for informational purposes, slacko-5.9.3.iso is the latest release (Beta 2) of the upcoming Slacko 6.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 892#783892

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -5.9.3.iso

Since it's a Beta there's only the one non-pae version available.
I thought so James, that would explain why i can't find 6.0 anywhere on the Web.

Have to say though that as I said in the Slacko 6.0 thread, my experiences with Abiword 3.0 in that one have been so bad that (since it's the only word processor in the distro, and a wp is an important piece of software), the devs should either drop it, return to 2.9.4 which worked at least passably well, or cease to call it a beta.

starhawk

#39 Post by starhawk »

From everything I've ever heard, there is no stable version of Abiword. I won't even touch it. I install LibreOffice, and on the rare occasion that I produce a Puplet for others, I strip Abiword out -- whether or not I install an office suite.

I'd nominate Ted as a successor to Abiword, but (sadly) replacing Abiword is probably not happening any time soon...

Colonel Panic

#40 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:From everything I've ever heard, there is no stable version of Abiword. I won't even touch it. I install LibreOffice, and on the rare occasion that I produce a Puplet for others, I strip Abiword out -- whether or not I install an office suite.

I'd nominate Ted as a successor to Abiword, but (sadly) replacing Abiword is probably not happening any time soon...
I agree, and in earlier versions of Abiword I've had pages "blacking out" on me at times, and at other times, the whole wp crashing when I've tried to save a document, so I know it has problems.

However, I honestly think this latest version (3.0) is by some distance the worst, on my machine anyway. You scroll up or down a page and the rest of it fades out all but completely (or sometimes completely). It's pretty much unusable.

I'd try Ted if there was a good version to download, but the early version I used once had problems opening and saving files (even .rtf ones) which had been created in other word processors.

ndujoe1

#41 Post by ndujoe1 »

Our computer club's Windows (Special Interest Group ) SIG leader brought Puppylinux on a flash drive with him in Nov 2005. It was I think Puppylinux 1.08rl it has been so long ago I am not sure.

Anyway I was intrigued, downloaded it, booted it, Windows departed my computer and the rest is history. I am currently using Slacko 5.6.

ThoriumBlvd

Asus EEE

#42 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I got interestetd in Linux back in 2008 when W98 officially became unsupported. Horror stories about XP-1 stupidity including "admin" abounded. I hung on to my W98Box (barton core XP-3200) until I found the Asus EEE. Buying the "large one" 702 model was difficult then as they sold out quick. But in Mar. 08. I got one for $500. Linux install Xandros (2.4Gb), small, and had OO2. Great stuff. Not supported though, so when FF3 got messages last year about non-support, I did two things;
1.) Find a cheap EEE J.I.C. (900a and another 702... total $100)
2.) Find a puppy for me. I adopted Slacko-5.5XL.(2.2Gb, iso fits on 1 CD)

Wow a new kernal makes a big difference. LO4 installed, full hotkey support,nice desktop, FF23, etc. Unfortunately the i915 resolution does not have 480x800 support. So the J.I.C. 900a got pressed into service.

Sidenote: The 702 model has an 8Gb SLC SSD. The atom has a 16Gb MLC SSD. The former SSD alone is worth good coin, and probably will never see its MTBF. I plan to put the 8Gb into the 900a. /sidenote
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

over_soul

#43 Post by over_soul »

Slow performance from Windows - that's my reason.
Several years ago (7 to be exact, even though I started messing with linux several years before that) I thought continuing with windows will be a terrible mistake, since I very much need speed for what I do. Also - linux is free (in more ways than one). So that did it for my final decision - speed and the prize tag.
ctually Puppy was one of the first linux distros I started messing with seriously (later to abandon it for Ubuntu, but never completely - I keep returning to it when I need that extra CPU power and performance) .
Besides - there was a time when I was forced to do my work from my asus eeepc netbook (imagine that!), because my PC burned out (unfixable) - couldn't buy a new one for various reasons, surprisingly all of those reasons had noting to do with finances, hahahaha. I was mid project for a large theatre production - I had to sample, render and master the music I had already composed (which fortunately I had backed up on my external hdd - where I keep most of my work). So Puppy really saved my life back than. I took out my copy of Puppy Studio and finished the work in time - I was even able to use all my kontakt samples with wine and reaper - and those are heavy!
So yeah - you might say Puppy is one of my favourite distributions out there alongside with Ubuntu and Slitaz. Also one of the first linux distros I started using regularly - later to abandon windows forever.

tlchost

#44 Post by tlchost »

Acme Products

starhawk

#45 Post by starhawk »

tlchost wrote:Acme Products
I don't get it :(

Puppyt

#46 Post by Puppyt »

Acme - all those wonderful products Wile E. Coyote bought to catch the Road Runner, only to do himself harm, over and over again? Windows has blown up in my face more than once - and on a regular basis whereas (puppy) linux is rapidly retrievable, after a steep learning curve...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

starhawk

#47 Post by starhawk »

NOW it makes sense! :lol:

Moose On The Loose

Re: How did you get interested in Linux/ Puppy?

#48 Post by Moose On The Loose »

The order for me was:

-MessDos
-Win-98
-SuSE
-Puppy

My reasons for moving to Linux

1 I like to be in control
2 I like to be able to make my own programs
3 I saw Windows ME in action

Rattlehead

#49 Post by Rattlehead »

I tried to install Linux several times, but all my attempts failed. I was so illiterate at that time that I did not realize that my computer had a really tiny RAM (196Mb), and that's why all live CDs crashed.

I bought a magazine with the latest Suse version hoping it would be the one. Again, no luck. But in the magazine there was an article that mentioned Damn Small Linux and Puppy (I'm not sure if my memory is idealizing this part, but I'm pretty sure the mention was in the last page of the last article!)

I downloaded Puppy 2.16. and... oh wow.

Then new computer and Puppy 4.

Then Slacko, from which I write. Happy camper. Very often, as I switch the computer on, I still think to myself 'god I love Linux'. The suffering of the M$ years was long, and a bit like that story of the frog in heating water: as each version got a bit worse, you kinda got used to it without noticing... :)

J_D_

#50 Post by J_D_ »

Heres how I found Puppy. Before XP support ran out, maybe a year ago, I started looking for a Linux alternative. Found MInt and liked it. Then I was looking for a non PAE version for one of my laptops. Found Puppy 5.7 and liked it so much, I put Puppy on
my other 2 laptops. Its sooooo much faster when you have no antivirus dragging you down.I still use XP for certain things. When I take the time to learn how to use the features available with Puppy I may stop using XP completely.
Another thing I like is the ability to boot from a Flash drive and do an install in 5 minutes. Never expected that after spending hours installing and updating Windows. For the record, I dont hate Windows. I mostly hate the need to keep updating and dealing with security programs.