Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
saintless

Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

#1 Post by saintless »

11.02.2015 - Combo pet for use on Precise 5.7.1 from Greengeek
========================================
29.12.2014 - New pet packages from Greengeek and last modification here.
=========================================
20.09.2014 - Patched versions blocked from today.
The workaround setting up the account with 4.3.0.37 for autologin still works.

=========================================

Next workaround needs running Skype 4.3.0.37 first to setup the account to autologin with older skype version:

In my experiments I use DebianDog and Skype 2.2.0.35 and 4.2.0.13. Anyone interested can adapt it for Puppy and add information in this thread. More or less it will be similar.
This morning (08.08.2014) we lost the previous workaround posted here and I think it is time to open dedicated thread with new methods for users with old hardware and who prefer to keep the old versions.
I don't know how long I will continue searching a way to run old Skype but to the moment I use Skype 2.2.0.35 without much troubles.

In this new workaround I will use latest Skype 4.3.0.37 to give successful login for the old versions.
In case someone sees no reason to use older versions since Skype 4.3.0.37 is needed anyway to setup the auto-login, please, just do not use this workaround. There is a way to skip Skype 4.3.0.37 use but it is involved with much more editing configuration files. This method is easier and maybe the loophole will be more difficult to be fixed.

Lets get started:

1. Install latest Skype 4.3.0.37 and start it (do not install pulseaudio - we do not need it).

2. Create account or login to existing one and set it up to autologin when Skype starts and no update control in Advanced Options (Thanks Watchdog). Test to make sure autologin works and quit Skype 4.3.0.37.

3. Extract and find the binary file from Skype 4.2.0.13 /usr/bin/skype or /usr/lib/skype/skype (may be in different location depending from what distro package is extracted - the file is around 28Mb). Do not mistake it with /usr/bin/skype which is only script in some packages).
Move the binary in /usr/bin and rename it from skype to skype42

For example extract this deb and move /usr/bin/skype (from the extracted deb) to /usr/bin/skype42 (in your running system).
Or extract this tar.xz and move /usr/lib/skype/skype (from the extracted tar) to /usr/bin/skype42 (in your running system).

4. Extract and find the binary file from Skype 2.2.0.35 /usr/bin/skype or /usr/local/bin/skype (may be in different location depending from what package is extracted - the file is around 20Mb). Do not mistake it with /usr/bin/skype which is only script in some packages).
Move the binary in /usr/bin and rename it from skype to skype22

For example extract this deb and move /usr/bin/skype (from the extracted deb) to /usr/bin/skype22 (in your running system).
Or extract this skype-2.2.0.35-new.pet and move /usr/share/skype/skype (from the extracted pet) to /usr/bin/skype22 (in your running system).

5. (Adding this line is needed for Skype 2.2 to work - Skype 4.2 will work without this step.) Open with text editor /root/.Skype/shared.xml and add one SavePassword line (after </Pos> and before </UI>) near at the end like this:

Code: Select all

</Pos>
    <SavePassword>1</SavePassword>
  </UI>
</config>
Save /root/.Skype/shared.xml changes.

6. Start from terminal Skype 2.2.0.35 by typing skype22 or Skype 4.2.0.13 by typing skype42. As long as you Quit skype from tray icon and start old skype versions you will autologin without problems.

If you logout by mistake run again Skype 4.3.0.37 to setup the account to autologin.

Important note: In 30 days the <Credentials3> signed public key in /root/.Skype/user-name/config.xml may not be valid. If it expires in 30 days, login again with Skype 4.3.0.37 and new one will be created. It is recommended not to wait till creditentals key expire but after 25-26 days setup again your account with Skype-4.3.0.37 and replace /root/.Skype folder with the new one.

Skype versions could be in separate sfs files to load and unload when needed instead installing Skype 4.3.0.37.

Any other working solutions or suggestions are welcome!

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 07:10, edited 19 times in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I am in puppy 4.3.2. No need to edit .Skype/shared.xml. Using qt 4.7.1, glibc and libstdc upgrade. Launch skype43 (without pulseaudio): set autologin and no update control (in Advanced Options). Quit skype43. Launch skype42. It is working. You can quit skype42 how you want and start it again.
The same procedure works in slacko. I think it's a general workaround.

saintless

#3 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Watchdog!
Can you confirm you get auto generated this line in .Skype/shared.xml with Skype 4.3.0.37:

It is not there in my saved .Skype/shared.xml but I don't have proper hardware at the moment to test latest Skype again. Maybe something makes difference.

Some more information - saving only /root/.Skype/shared.xml and /root/.Skype/your-account-name/config.xml and deleting everything else from /root/.Skype is enough. Starting the first time old version Skype will login in your account without any saved contact. Quit and start old Skype again and all your contacts are there. Easy to backup only two xml files without need to keep latest Skype installed.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

saintless wrote:Thank you, Watchdog!
Can you confirm you get auto generated this line in .Skype/shared.xml with Skype 4.3.0.37:

I have not that line in my ./Skype/shared.xml
saintless wrote: Some more information - saving only /root/.Skype/shared.xml and /root/.Skype/your-account-name/config.xml and deleting everything else from /root/.Skype is enough. Starting the first time old version Skype will login in your account without any saved contact. Quit and start old Skype again and all your contacts are there. Easy to backup only two xml files without need to keep latest Skype installed.
I think the best way is to onetime run skype 4.3, set it to work with autologin and no update control and backup /root/:Skype config dir. You can uninstall skype 4.3 and now install skype 4.2 (I did not test skype 2.2...) with the same backuped config dir.
Last edited by watchdog on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#5 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I can confirm that wnen running version 4.2.0.13 after logged in with version 4.3.0.37 the line in ~/.Skype/shared.xml:

seems to be not needed.

Edit: I mean it's not auto generated for me by v 4.3.0.37.

It just works with at the end of shared.xml:

</Pos>
  </UI>
</config>
Don't know about version 2 in this case.

Fred

cimarron

#6 Post by cimarron »

Nice fix--thanks! It worked on my Lubuntu install as well, which doesn't use pulseaudio.

saintless

#7 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:It just works with at the end of shared.xml:

</Pos>
  </UI>
</config>
Don't know about version 2 in this case.
Yes, Fred. It appears this line <SavePassword>1</SavePassword> is needed for Skype 2.2 so the safe choice is to add it and be sure your .Skype account backup folder will work with Skype 2 also. Skype 4.2 works with or without this line.

Toni

jamesbond

#8 Post by jamesbond »

I haven't tested the newer method but yes the old one (removing shared*) no longer works after I received this love letter :evil:
skype wrote:Your Skype for Linux version is being retired. Update today.
Dear XXXX,

We are now retiring older versions of Skype and it appears that at some point you signed into Skype with one of these. To continue signing into Skype on Linux you'll need to download the latest version. The new version comes with improved performance, the latest features and security updates, so you'll get the best possible Skype experience.

If you're on the latest version of Skype, the above will not apply.

Update now at http://www.skype.com/download.

How to manually update your desktop version
To download the latest version from Skype's website, simply type 'skype.com' into the address bar of your web browser and follow these steps:

1. Visit skype.com > Downloads tab > Computer
2. Download the latest version by clicking Get Skype for Linux
3. Sign into Skype
Forgot your account details?
See our FAQ to reset your password.
Support
For Skype for Linux support, see our FAQs.

Thank you,
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

saintless

#9 Post by saintless »

Hi, jamesbond, yes I have the same letter :)
We shall see if it keeps comming after setting up the account with latest skype before using older.

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Heh, I received one of those emails on my (Android) phone... but that's mainly because I don't keep Skype installed on it. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

ndujoe1

#11 Post by ndujoe1 »

saintless:

I followed your instructions, I am using Slacko 5.6.

Started Skype 4.3.0.37, Quit from the the taskbar.

From the terminal types skype42

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for extracting puppylinux users from the morass that Microsoft foisted upon us with the pulse audio hassles. Why they could not have preserve the ALSA nterface in the new version I do not know. It couldn't have require that much extra code.

saintless

#12 Post by saintless »

Important information added in first post:
Important note: In 30 days the <Credentials3> signed public key in /root/.Skype/user-name/config.xml may not be valid. If it expires in 30 days, login again with Skype 4.3.0.37 and new one will be created.

I'm very glad to see we are not alone and other people (Russian programmers from what I read) have great results already - at least for old Windows versions):
http://skype-open-source.blogspot.com/
Help is welcome there if someone is interested.

Toni

jamesbond

#13 Post by jamesbond »

saintless wrote:I'm very glad to see we are not alone and other people (Russian programmers from what I read) have great results already - at least for old Windows versions):
http://skype-open-source.blogspot.com/
Interesting. That site seems to deal with Windows version of skype though, so not sure how applicable it would be to Linux version that we use. I'm also wondering how soon the site can last before MS issues a takedown notice :(
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

saintless

#14 Post by saintless »

From what I read there were such actions already few times, but reading the comments you will find many working magnet links. And also this:
https://github.com/skypeopensource/

Ledster

#15 Post by Ledster »

Slacko570 with pulseaudio pet installed (I've tried both of them) and skype 4.3 (the Slacko version) installed.
would not recognise the mic on my webcam, so no sound until I plugged a separate mic into the sound card. Seems pulseaudio can only cope with one source for sound in AND out.
Troubles still not over. Chatted with a friend for 2-3 minutes and the picture locked up followed a little later with loss of sound. If I turn off the video and just use sound it works ok.
So thought I'd try the autologin trick and skype 4.2 - how do you set up autologin?
The only place I can see a check box for this is under "Update password" and ticking this does nothing (the tick appears, but is gone next time you look).
Any ideas?

saintless

#16 Post by saintless »

Ledster, autologin optional checkbox is on the bottom right in the login window (same window where you type username and password). After checking this box and login next time starting Skype 4.3.0.37 should autologin.

ndujoe1

#17 Post by ndujoe1 »

when you install skype 4.3.0.37at the log in screen, after you enter your user name and password and before you press the enter key click the option in the lower right hand corner this will log you into skype automatically. Then you quite Skype from the taskbar quite. Then open up the terminal and enter skpye42 which you have created with the previous instructions.

I used this method last night to skype with a friend via voice and image.

Ledster

#18 Post by Ledster »

Thank you both.
I am embarassed at my lack of observational ability!
Needless to say it worked perfectly.

Once again, thanks.

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Cute... I tried skype last night on windows 2000 to be told when logging in that this program will not work on 2000 any more even though it is... me thought user agent stuff but no config for it... this login with newer sounds fun but I don't think I would get a working newer version since they sabotage the installers for 2000.... since microsoft are now doing their dirty stuff with skype (ie using it to sell newer windows and attack linux use) perhaps we need a serious look at alternatives....new thread perhaps.

mike

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Hi, Mike.
I think you will find this interesting... Read skype 3.8 solution here and more information here (read the comments).
The problem with Skype alternative is most of the people I know will continue using Windows and I doubt they will install Ekiga or something different just to chat with me. But thread about alternative is a good idea to start with. Here is one started already.

Toni