Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 9 [124 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 03:17    Post subject:  

mcewanw wrote:
Though it is in the about message, so must be somewhere, in some form, I suppose.

I'm afraid is more like skype.kit method explained from Anonymous user:
Quote:
Skypekit is not same thing as Skype, it doesn't contains single string with version.
It's version field, sent to server, combined from kit version itself, user_serial, user uniqie id and host token. So you cant just find and replace something.

But... skype.kit has working old version now and this means linux skype 2.0 - 4.1 also could be used similar way. But I just can't find it yet.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 03:51    Post subject:  

Ah, OK, thought it might be something like that Toni.

I have now tried your patched 4.2.0.13 wheezy sfs in DebianDog and it seems to be working fine.

William

ac2011

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 20:51    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
I came across this fix, I haven't tried it but it may work.

Quote:
Problem

Not all people can upgrade because they're on an older Linux version that is not supported by the new Skype version.
The new Skype version also introduces all sorts of new problems to existing users, as the following posting illustrates:

Solution

You can stick with your old version of skype. I came across and tested (on Skype 4.2 on Ubuntu LTS 12.04) the following solution that spoofs your old version of Skype to version 4.3.0.37. The command below will output a replace command which you could copy and run in a terminal in order to change the version string in your old Skype executable. Your old Skype will then be allowed to connect again to the M$ server. First you have to fill in your current Skype version in the command below, which can be obtained with command: "skype - version".

ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sudo sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" /usr/bin/skype"

Might be able to use this to patch the old binary version Question

This works for me (using the Carolina-packaged Skype 4.2.0.11) BUT you need to make a few changes. The Skype executable itself is not /usr/bin/skype - that's a script. I believe that's the case for most Puppy Skype setups. And Puppy doesn't need sudo, of course, since we're already root. So the line should become:

Code:

ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" /usr/share/skype/skype"

Then run the sed command that this spits out.

It seems to work fine, logging in from scratch. Thanks to everyone working on this.

Edit: an all-in-one command that might work.

Code:
ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" /usr/share/skype/skype">/tmp/patch_skype_version; sh /tmp/patch_skype_version; rm /tmp/patch_skype_version
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 21:50    Post subject:  

ac2011 wrote:

This works for me (using the Carolina-packaged Skype 4.2.0.11) BUT you need to make a few changes. The Skype executable itself is not /usr/bin/skype - that's a script. I believe that's the case for most Puppy Skype setups. And Puppy doesn't need sudo, of course, since we're already root. So the line should become:

Code:

ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" /usr/share/skype/skype"

Then run the sed command that this spits out.

It seems to work fine, logging in from scratch. Thanks to everyone working on this.

Edit: an all-in-one command that might work.

Code:
ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" /usr/share/skype/skype">/tmp/patch_skype_version; sh /tmp/patch_skype_version; rm /tmp/patch_skype_version

Thanks for doing that, I was going to give it a try and if successful repackage skype-4.2.0.13-lina.pet and skype-4.2.0.13-lina.sfs in the repo, if you have Carolina the skype-4.2.0.13-lina.pet is a better choice as it don't contain the qt lib files as they are already installed, the skype-4.2.0.13-lina.sfs is better used with Carolite, I'll post on the Carolina thread when I have this done.

saintless

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 01:10    Post subject:  

ac2011 wrote:
Code:

Thank you, link added in the first post!
Since Puppy linux uses different skype binary location maybe someone will make later and attach here working skype-start scripts for already installed 4.2.0.11 and 4.2.0.13.
Such script can be used also to start any existing pet/sfs skype package (maybe as desktop icon or editing /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop file). It will be easier than rebuilding any existing skype pet/sfs.

Toni

ac2011

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 02:03    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
ac2011 wrote:
Code:

Thank you, link added in the first post!
Since Puppy linux uses different skype binary location maybe someone will make later and attach here working skype-start scripts for already installed 4.2.0.11 and 4.2.0.13.
Such script can be used also to start any existing pet/sfs skype package (maybe as desktop icon or editing /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop file). It will be easier than rebuilding any existing skype pet/sfs.

Toni

Yes, that's how I'm doing it - just modding skype on each boot.

Here's a hopefully more generic script. Call it 'patch_skype' or similar. You'll need to change 4.2.0.11 to whatever your version is (and it'll break skype if the string isn't the same length, because that's the length of the string we're replacing it with).

Usual caveats apply: may destroy your data and/or the universe.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
skype &
sleep 2
skype_exe=`ps |grep skype|grep -v grep|sed 's/.* \//\//'| sed 's/ $//'`
killall skype
skype_script=`which skype`

if [[ `cat $skype_script |grep $skype_exe` ]] || [[ $skype_script == $skype_exe ]]
   then
   echo "Found $skype_exe for patching."
   ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" $skype_exe">/tmp/patch_skype_version
   read -p "OK to go ahead (y/n)? >" yesno
   if [[ $yesno == "y" ]]
      then
      echo "Patching $skype_exe"
      sh /tmp/patch_skype_version
   else
      echo "Aborted."
   fi
   rm /tmp/patch_skype_version
else
   echo "Can't find skype executable. Sorry."
fi

That should locate the real executable (by seeing what actually appears in RAM) and patch it, hopefully.

If it works on your Puppy and you're using non-persistent storage like I am (re-loading a clean save file on each boot) you could just strip out the "OK to go ahead" bits and be left with this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
skype &
sleep 2
skype_exe=`ps |grep skype|grep -v grep|sed 's/.* \//\//'| sed 's/ $//'`
killall skype
skype_script=`which skype`

if [[ `cat $skype_script |grep $skype_exe` ]] || [[ $skype_script == $skype_exe ]]
   then
   echo "Found $skype_exe for patching."
   ver=$(echo "4.2.0.11" | xxd -p | sed 's/.\{2\}/&\\x/g;s/^/\\x/;s/\\x0a\\x//'); echo "sed -i \"s/$ver/\x34\x2E\x33\x2E\x30\x2E\x33\x37/g\" $skype_exe">/tmp/patch_skype_version
   echo "Patching $skype_exe"
   sh /tmp/patch_skype_version
   rm /tmp/patch_skype_version
else
   echo "Can't find skype executable. Sorry."
fi

A bit ugly because it loads skype first and then closes it, but it would only need to be done once per boot - then you'd just run 'skype' as normal.

I did think about parsing the launch script to find the binary, but I think that's less reliable.

Edit: improved to trap non-scripted skype versions too... hopefully.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 03:00    Post subject:  

ac2011 wrote:
You'll need to change 4.2.0.11 to whatever your version is (and it'll break skype if the string isn't the same length, because that's the length of the string we're replacing it with).

It will work only for Skype 4.2.0.11 and 4.2.0.13.
All earlier versions like Skype 2.0 to 4.1 do not have such easy to replace version string. It is generated different way and can't be replaced so simple, unfortunately. The only way to run Skype versions 2.0 - 4.1 for the moment is explained in the first post and needs setting up autologin with Skype 4.3.0.37 (or pathched Skype 4.2.0.11 or 4.2.0.13) first and adding one line in shared.xml

Toni

ac2011

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014, 06:07    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
ac2011 wrote:
You'll need to change 4.2.0.11 to whatever your version is (and it'll break skype if the string isn't the same length, because that's the length of the string we're replacing it with).

All earlier versions like Skype 2.0 to 4.1 do not have such easy to replace version string. It is generated different way and can't be replaced so simple, unfortunately. The only way to run Skype versions 2.0 - 4.1 for the moment is explained in the first post and needs setting up autologin with Skype 4.3.0.37 (or pathched Skype 4.2.0.11 or 4.2.0.13) first and adding one line in shared.xml

Toni

Yes, sorry: I didn't make that clear. The script is to help people who might have problems locating the real skype binary for patching. It doesn't add any magic to what's already been discovered.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 01:14    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

Toni

Toni, just want to drop in to say thanks for your workaround in 4.2.xxx. I'm now using 4.2.0.13 (patched by CatDude based on your instructions). While 4.3 works, the PulseAudio it requires is a PITA to manage, so most of the time I use the 4.2 instead.

cheers!

saintless

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 02:40    Post subject:  

Hi, Jamesbond.

Just for information if you use skype 2.2.0.35 sometimes instead 4.2.0.37 you can use patched 4.2.0.13 or 4.2.0.11 to setup the account to autologin and then start skype 2.2.0.35 (after adding the savepassword line in shared.xml as in the first post information).
I still use 2.2.0.35 because it runs faster on my hardware. The only problem (the important part) is after one month the creditentals key expires and I need to start patched 4.2.0.11 to setup the account again for autologin.

Toni

ozsouth

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 18:40    Post subject: False online  

All versions 4.2.x.xx onwards give me false 'contact is online' status. The 'tricked' 2.2.0.35 & 4.0.0.8 don't. Is there any way around that?
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep 2014, 21:46    Post subject: Re: False online  

ozsouth wrote:
All versions 4.2.x.xx onwards give me false 'contact is online' status. The 'tricked' 2.2.0.35 & 4.0.0.8 don't. Is there any way around that?

The patched version of 4.2.0.13 seems to work ok for me, though when using Skype in windows there are only two options, Available or Invisible, so when I change my status using 4.2.0.13 they seem to be the only one's that change as seen by the windows version.

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep 2014, 03:00    Post subject: Re: False online  

ozsouth wrote:

I don't know enough to try fixing this inside the binary.
If you already have wine installed there is portable skype for windows that works. Maybe worth testing.
You need also libwine-alsa installed to get sound working in wine. For video calls maybe DirectX also should be upgraded.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 15:08; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep 2014, 09:16    Post subject:  

Patched versions blocked from today.
The workaround on the first page setting up the account with 4.3.0.37 for autologin still works.

Griot

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep 2014, 13:24    Post subject:  

After latest infamous deeds of Micro$$$ I'm a bit confused about workaround procedure. So, which version of $kype installer should I use to get things work? I really need your kind support folks, because my employer insists on using dang thing to keep "flawless" communication between managers and employees. My PC runs precise 5.71 PEA i686/frugal install.Thanx!
P.S. With all due respect to potential adviser, NO, I'm not going to install any M$ O$. Thank you for your comprehension!
Page 5 of 9 [124 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: