Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
saintless

#76 Post by saintless »

Griot wrote:After latest infamous deeds of Micro$$$ I'm a bit confused about workaround procedure. So, which version of $kype installer should I use to get things work? I really need your kind support folks, because my employer insists on using dang thing to keep "flawless" communication between managers and employees. My PC runs precise 5.71 PEA i686/frugal install.Thanx!
P.S. With all due respect to potential adviser, NO, I'm not going to install any M$ O$. Thank you for your comprehension!
Here you will find successful install in Precise Puppy the latest Skype 4.3.0.37 that needs pupseaudio:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 900#796900
Read the thread there and you will find all needed information. Ask there for help if something does not work with Skype 4.3.0.37.
If you do not mind installing pulseaudio use latest skype.

If you don't want pulseaudio or you can't get sound and mic working by the instructions in the link above - you still need to install Skype 4.3.0.37 to setup the account to autologin and then any old skype version with alsa support will work. First post contains the full instruction:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 486#793486

Griot

#77 Post by Griot »

Thank you, saintless. I'll follow your advice.

greengeek

#78 Post by greengeek »

EDIT : Please also see easier notes two posts further down.

How to get Skype 4.2 running on Slacko 5.6 (live session) without installing pulseaudio.
(Thanks to work by watchdog, OscarTalks, saintless and ac2011)

I will describe what I do in a Live session - you can modify the procedure if you have installed Slacko 5.6 and are running a savefile.

Summary - we will temporarily use skype 4.3 (without pulseaudio) to create a 'profile' directory which we will save for use with Skype 4.2 (which has been modified by saintless to behave like skype 4.3 but does not need pulseaudio at all).

Harvesting the "profile":

1) Install OscarTalks skype-4.3.0.37-slacko14.0.pet from here:
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/
(do not install pulseaudio - we are not going to use it)
2) Start skype (in "Internet" menu). When you see the login screen make sure you tick the "sign me in when skype starts" checkbox then enter your skype name and password. Go into skype 'options' then 'advanced' and untick 'check for updates on startup'.
3) Go into your /root directory, click the 'eye' icon to view hidden files, and make a backup copy of /root/.Skype directory somewhere on permanent storage (This is the 'profile' we will be using in version 4.2).
4) Quit Skype
5) Uninstall Skype 4.3 using the PPM.

Setting up Skype 4.2:

1) Install Skype 4.2 available from here:
Skype4.2_for_Slacko5.6_ver-1.pet
(If you don't already have Qt libs you may also need the missing SkypeQt libs pet from here:
Skype4.2_Slacko5.6_missing_libs_ver-1.pet
2) Copy the /.Skype directory back from permanent storage and put it into /root. (Remember that this is a hidden directory so wherever you stored it may look at first glance like an empty directory :-) Click the eye icon!)
3) Start Skype 4.2 from the "network" menu.
(Skype will automatically sign in and as long as you have your correct microphone selected and levels set correctly it will work perfectly)

***NOTE 1***
It is possible that the profile used in this way may only be valid for 30days.

***NOTE 2***
If you are using this method in an installed slacko (rather than live session) please note the following:
When you are ready to stop Skype - do so by RIGHTCLICKING THE TRAY ICON & SELECTING "QUIT" - NOT "signout".
If you click 'signout' and Skype deletes the hidden config file in /root, you will have to reload it before you restart skype.
Last edited by greengeek on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.

ac2011

Script to automate the auto-login

#79 Post by ac2011 »

Some people might find this handy if using an older Skype. It checks if you've been logged out, and if so runs the 4.3 binary, logs in with your password, ticks the 'remember' box, quits Skype 4.3 and then re-loads Skype 4.2.

If you're using 4.2, you should just need the skype binary from 4.3 - put it in /usr/share/skype/skype43/ as just 'skype'.

This script is bare and basic - it works for me but you'll need to tweak timings and suchlike for your system. You'll also need wmctrl and xdotool - binaries for these are in this forum somewhere. And you'll need to store your Skype password somewhere in a text file.

Call the script 'load_skype' or similar. Do not just call it 'skype'.

Provided as is... please feel free to improve it.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

skype_password_file=/path/to/skypepass.txt

# launch Skype normally
skype &

# wait for it to load
sleep 2

# are we still at the login screen? If so we need to kill it and auto-logon with version 4.3 instead
if [[ ! `wmctrl -l |grep "Skype™ 4.2 for Linux"` ]]
	then
	exit
fi

yaf-splash -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg "red" -timeout 5 -text "Don't touch anything! Need to update login credentials... " &

sleep 1
killall -9 skype

# launch the newer one, with executable in a sub-directory 'skype43' in /usr/share/skype/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/qt4/lib:/usr/share/skype/skypelibs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/opt/qt4/lib:/usr/share/skype/skypelibs:/usr/share/skype/skypelibs/plugins
/usr/share/skype/skype43/skype &

# wait for it to load
while [[ ! `pidof skype` ]]
	do
	sleep 1
done

sleep 5 # let it load to login screen
CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW=`xdotool getactivewindow`
PIDOF_ACTIVE_WINDOW=`xdotool getwindowpid $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW`
for i in `pidof skype`
	do
	if [[ $i == $PIDOF_ACTIVE_WINDOW ]]
		then
		# pass some things
		xdotool key --window $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW Tab
		sleep .2
		xdotool key --window $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW Return
		sleep .2
		xdotool type --window $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW `cat $skype_password_file`
		sleep .2
		sleep .2
		sleep .2
		sleep .2
		sleep .2
		xdotool key --window $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW Shift+Tab
		sleep .2
		xdotool key --window $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW Shift+Tab
		sleep .2
		break
	fi
done

while [[ `xdotool getactivewindow` == $CURRENT_ACTIVE_WINDOW ]]
	do
	sleep 1
done

# kill Skype 4.3 once we know it's logged in
sleep 1
killall -9 skype

# now load Skype 4.2
sleep 1
skype &

yaf-splash -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg "green" -timeout 5 -text "OK, it should be fine now." &

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

Skype on Slacko 5.6

Here is an even simpler alternative to my post above:

Use Skype 4.3 (without pulseaudio) to login skype 4.2 (using alsa) - simply install one single pet or sfs ...

I made myself a hybrid of skype 4.3 and skype 4.2 for use with Slacko 5.6 - I use it particularly in 'Live' mode (with no savefile). If you prefer to use a savefile you can use the same pet or sfs but using a slightly different technique.

Here's how it works:

1) Just install the pet or the sfs
(if you use the sfs choose 'skypelogin' when it asks you)
(If you use the pet choose 'skypelogin' from the internet menu)

2) You'll get 30 seconds during which time you must do the following:
- agree to the skype terms
- enter your username and password
- tick the 'log me in each time skype starts' (tiny checkbox visble at bottom of login screen when you enter your username/password)
- click 'login'

Skype 4.3 will log you in and display your contacts, then at the end of the 30 seconds it will close down and automatically login Skype 4.2 (which will run with alsa instead of needing pulseaudio as 4.3 does)

(If you don't manage to get your password etc entered in the 30 seconds, just wait for the 30 second timeout, quit any skype icons showing in the tray, then try 'skypelogin' again)

skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.4.pet here

skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.4.sfs here

EDIT : I have a newer version which allows 45 seconds for the user to login (rather than the 30 seconds which can be a bit short...). See this post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 708#817708

May work on other pups?
Attachments
skypelogin.png
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Goaul

#81 Post by Goaul »

When I install sfs for my puppy (from greengeek) post, the 4.3 skype has no "tiny checkbox visble at bottom of login screen", so i just login and see all me contacts, but after 30secs it closes and starts 4.2 but I it asks for my pass and there is that small checkbox, but loging from 4.2 not working.

Any Ideas?

greengeek

#82 Post by greengeek »

Goaul wrote:.., the 4.3 skype has no "tiny checkbox visble at bottom of login screen", so i just login and see all me contacts, but after 30secs it closes and starts 4.2 but I it asks for my pass and there is that small checkbox, but loging from 4.2 not working.
Hi Goaul, can you confirm that you ticked the "skypelogin" choice at the time you loaded the sfs? It asks you which one you want to run but it seems to default to "Skype" - it is important to change this to "skypelogin".

Also, the "log me in each time skype starts" checkbox doesnt appear straight away on the 4.3 login screen - it only appears AFTER you start to enter your login name. Can you check that screen again carefully?

I have just tried the sfs again and it still works for me so at least this method has not been blocked by Skype. At the moment I can't think of any other reason why the auto login checkbox is not showing for you.

If you still have no joy I would recommend to unload the sfs, remove /root/.Skype directory, reboot, and try all over again.
Attachments
FirstScreen_NoCheckbox.jpg
(27.08 KiB) Downloaded 939 times
SecondScreen_ShowingCheckbox.jpg
(39.16 KiB) Downloaded 952 times

Goaul

#83 Post by Goaul »

So what I tried again, unloaded it in SFS-Load on the fly v1.9.7, restarted PC, then loaded your sfs file and choosed "skypelogin" and "run", after that showed up 4.3 login screen(like your first attached pic), but when i click on skype name field there showed my skype name, but still no checkbox on the bottom. After 30secs it closed and showed Skype 4.2 screen.

Is this might be something todo with using Precise puppy 5.7.1 or computers small resolution window Asus Eee PC 701?

More ideas welcome :)

greengeek

#84 Post by greengeek »

Goaul wrote:Is this might be something todo with using Precise puppy 5.7.1 or computers small resolution window Asus Eee PC 701?
Yes this seems to indicate that my hybrid may not be suitable for use on Precise. I made the pet and sfs for use with Slacko 5.6 so maybe in Precise there is a different lib that affects display format.

Do you see the whole login window on the eee701? If not does it let you scroll all the way down to see the bottom edge of the window?

EDIT : - If you are running a savefile don't forget to remove the hidden directory /root/.Skype in case it now contains incorrect data somehow.

EDIT 2 :Further testing shows that the sfs does run ok on Precise, but refer to my post below regarding installing a missing lib.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#85 Post by saintless »

I would try typing the username, then password, then 4 times press Tab key and then one time only press SpaceBar key. Then press Enter. This should check the box for autologin.

Goaul

#86 Post by Goaul »

greengeek wrote: Do you see the whole login window on the eee701? If not does it let you scroll all the way down to see the bottom edge of the window?

EDIT : - If you are running a savefile don't forget to remove the hidden directory /root/.Skype in case it now contains incorrect data somehow.
Yes, I see whole login window, even lifted it a bit up, to see if I'm really seeing whole window and yes still no checkbox there.

Even went to root/.skype and deleted whole content and tried same, nothing(if not counting the fact that I needed enter my skype name as it cleared by doing so).

+When I did how suggested saintless, when entered whole skype name and password->4x tabs +and space button-> pressing enter brings me back to first screen like I never enetered skype name.

Even tried to enter whole skype name and password->4x tabs +and space button->press login, logins into acc, but when 50secs ends and switches to v4.2 again asks for logins.

More suggestions? :)
For me it looks that that checkbox just not made there or libs in this case just fail to show it, but then is question why I see it for v4.2?

saintless

#87 Post by saintless »

Goaul wrote:More suggestions? :)
Few more:

1. Attach screenshot so we can see this strange skype login window.
2. Type

Code: Select all

export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/share/skype/skypelibs/plugins
/usr/share/skype/skype43
in terminal and there will not be sign out in 30 sec. Continue using skype 4.3.0.37 this way with pulseaudio or apulse.
3. Find skype 4.3.0.37 binary that shows the checkbox for you and replace /usr/share/skype/skype43 with the working one.
4. Find skype 4.3.0.37 binary that shows the checkbox for you and use manually the workaround for skype 4.2 as it is explained in the first post.
5. Find skype 4.3.0.37 pet or sfs package that works for you and use it instead. Even if auto login check box is still missing you will not be sign out anymore.
6. Use your first posts in the forum to learn more about puppy linux instead trying to fix Skype workaround issue you get. This workaround can be closed any moment as the previous few. Helping Skype to improve the protection (because this is what we actually do by posting workarouds) is waste of time. Let them live and be happy losing more and more users.

greengeek

#88 Post by greengeek »

Goaul wrote:More suggestions? :)
For me it looks that that checkbox just not made there or libs in this case just fail to show it, but then is question why I see it for v4.2?
Hi Goaul, I have just booted into Precise 5.7.1 to try Skype and I found that I was able to see the signin checkbox, so I don't think the sfs is the problem.

I did not create any savefile - I just tried the sfs in 'live session'. At first it would not run because it was missing 'libpng14.so.14'
I found this lib available from stemsee's post here

After installing that pet and running skypelogin again I could see the signin checkbox as shown below.

Is it possible for you to temporarily hide your savefile and confirm that you get the same result as me when using the sfs and libpng pet in live session?
(If live session works for you too then that suggests that your savefile has something else installed that may be interfering)

Good luck!
Attachments
Precise571_Skype43Login.jpg
(45.23 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

Goaul

#89 Post by Goaul »

Hello, I just now reinstaled to Slacko Puppy 5.7 and loading skype theckbox there, so I guess something was messed up on old installation somewhere.

Thank you, all works fine now. :)

pbreslin

#90 Post by pbreslin »

Hi I have just installed skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.4.sfs in Precise 5.7.1.
I already previously had Skype 4.2 on this computer. I uninstalled 4.2 but didn't delete the .skype folder. When I used Skype Login for the first time I didn't have to enter my username and password. I guess it pulled them from the .skype folder. After 30 seconds it stops 4.3 and starts 4.2 Sound is working perfectly for both speaker and mic. :D

I don't have video though with my very old Logitech webcam.

Thanks a lot everyone. Much appreciated.

ahoogakev@gmail.com

using Skype on Puppy Linux version 5

#91 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Hello my name is Kevin and I am not very good at Puppy Linux and I have GREAT trouble to understand these tech forums, becuase they are often over my head.

By some miracle I was able to follow the instruction on page 1 and get a working old Skype version 4.2 working on my computer, horray and thanks so much!

I did not quite succeed by doing it as suggested, though ;as I ended up installing version 4 .2 0. 11 as old Skype but your instructions recommended 4.2.0.13 .... I also ended up with 3 Skype files in that folder Bin something or maybe USR BIn , I forget. Since it works I am scared to delete any of them that part is ok. I am simply making the point that even though it now works it does not mean I understand it , as really I dont.

What I'd really like help with now, is doing whatever it is I am supposed to do in 20 to 25 days to prevent myself from going through all this again ( it took me over a week of reading and doing on your Forum with MANY failed attempts before this worked for me, my poor head is still spinning.).

On page 1 it says more less to quote "after 25-26 days setup again your account with Skype-4.3.0.37 and replace /root/.Skype folder with the new one. "

I do not understand what "setup your account with Skype 4.3.0.37 " means. I did find the hidden file / root / .Skype and I copied it into a desktop folder....could continous copying of that desktop folder every 20 days into /root/Skype keep me running? I know I have both versions of Skype installed becuase I can see them listed in the Puppy package manager.

When I click on Start / Internet / Skype the old 4.2 one starts up, and everything works ( including microphone which is what wont work on 4.3 for me).

I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can reply in REALLY simple terms to tell me how to keep Skype working for past 20 days. I need Skype for about 6 months as my brother has travelled to the USA for winter and I am in Canada and hope to talk without going bankrupt using traditional phones. Thanks so much for all help in advance! Kevin

greengeek

#92 Post by greengeek »

Hi Kevin, my understanding would be this:
- If your skype is working ok now, just keep using it as is, until it stops and tells you it cant log in.
- At that time run skype 4.3 again (just once) and sign in, making sure to tick the "log me in when skype starts" tickbox.
- Let it come online and show your contacts, then quit skype4.3 (Make sure you "Quit" - not "logout")
- Start skype 4.2 and it will carry on as normal using the login details already provided by the 4.3 login. (The 4.2 version won't ask you at this time to provide your username/password because it can see that the .skype folder contains the details it needs)

I don't think you should be too worried about what happens in 20-30 days - the Skype server will simply discard the current login validation details at that time and ask you to log in again.

If you wanted to you could do the "version 4.3 login" thing before the 30 day timeout and it should start the 30 day counter from zero again. (To be honest I am not sure if it counts 30 days, or uses "calender month" boundaries).

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#93 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Thanks for replying to my query Sir, I understand it all EXCEPT I dont know how I would start the old version of Skype? All I do now is click Start / Internet / and click on a Skype icon , and the old one comes up, how would I deliberately start the old one? Thanks You Kevin

saintless

Re: using Skype on Puppy Linux version 5

#94 Post by saintless »

Hi, Kevin.
I do not understand what "setup your account with Skype 4.3.0.37 " means. I did find the hidden file / root / .Skype and I copied it into a desktop folder....could continous copying of that desktop folder every 20 days into /root/Skype keep me running?
Unfortunately it will not work and I do not recommend to wait till starting old skype version tells you that you can't login. It is possible to bring some more troubles for you.
When you login with latest skype you get creditentals key valid for 30 days. When you try to login after creditentals key expires you will be surprised you can't login even with latest Skype anymore. Possible you will get message your account is blocked because skype suspects someone uses your account on different computer. Then you will have to write skype support and answer questions like:
When did you create your account - year and month?
Name 3 contacts from your account?
In one-two days you will be asked few more questions like those and if all looks correct your account will be unblocked. This procedure takes 3 days.

To make the things easier for you I suggest when you copy /root/.Skype to Desktop rename the one on the desktop adding the login with Skype 4.3.0.37 date (for example - .Skype-12.11.2014). And when 8-10.12.2014 comes delete /root/.Skype folder. Then start skype 4.3.0.37 to setup the account to autologin again and make new copy on Desktop adding the date.
If it is not clear enough I will try to explain it better.

To make sure you will start old skype version for example rename the executable file skype-old. Then you will have /usr/bin/skype (latest skype) and /usr/bin/skype-old (older skype). Typing in terminal skype-old will start the older version. Typing skype will start lates version.

Toni

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#95 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Thanks for your reply Mr Saintless. I understand most of what you told me. I am confused by the naming of Skpes in the Usr / Bin /Skypes folder. I messed it up when I attempted to do step #3 on the first page, I eventually found a 29MB file as #3 instruction tells me to, and I put it in that Usr / Bin folder...this 29MB file has an Icon that looks like a dog bone to me ( I am sorry I don't know how to tell them apart).I named it SkypeKev. I have another file named Skype in there,its Icon is like a computer screen.I have still another in there I 've named Skypeold and it also has an icon looking like a monitor . Although I named it only a few days ago I already dont recall what it was, becuase it is overkill for my poor brain following all these instructions and I did everything quite a few times until all at once it worked.
But I understand the basic idea, one of those 3 Skypes in Usr/ Bin is actually my 4 .2 one now, correct? And one of them is the 4.3 one, and one is ????? So can I figure out which is which right now just by typing skypeKev, Skype and Skypeold in my terminal and seeing what happens, or will this mess everything up? I am guessing what I labled Skypeold might be my 4.3 but I screw so many things up I dont trust myself an inch, and what the dog bone one is is beyond me, Thanks a lot Kevin PS to all you experts out there, I bet reading my messages gives you a great idea how totally confusing it is to be a non -linux guy try to do Linux, its a very scary proposition especially when you have a four second memory like me! I really appreciate you taking time to help me some days its fun but sometimes I am really frustrated.It took me a terribly long time to figure out what the terminal was for example and how to get to it.