Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ahoogakev@gmail.com

using Skype on Puppy Linux version 5

#91 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Hello my name is Kevin and I am not very good at Puppy Linux and I have GREAT trouble to understand these tech forums, becuase they are often over my head.

By some miracle I was able to follow the instruction on page 1 and get a working old Skype version 4.2 working on my computer, horray and thanks so much!

I did not quite succeed by doing it as suggested, though ;as I ended up installing version 4 .2 0. 11 as old Skype but your instructions recommended 4.2.0.13 .... I also ended up with 3 Skype files in that folder Bin something or maybe USR BIn , I forget. Since it works I am scared to delete any of them that part is ok. I am simply making the point that even though it now works it does not mean I understand it , as really I dont.

What I'd really like help with now, is doing whatever it is I am supposed to do in 20 to 25 days to prevent myself from going through all this again ( it took me over a week of reading and doing on your Forum with MANY failed attempts before this worked for me, my poor head is still spinning.).

On page 1 it says more less to quote "after 25-26 days setup again your account with Skype-4.3.0.37 and replace /root/.Skype folder with the new one. "

I do not understand what "setup your account with Skype 4.3.0.37 " means. I did find the hidden file / root / .Skype and I copied it into a desktop folder....could continous copying of that desktop folder every 20 days into /root/Skype keep me running? I know I have both versions of Skype installed becuase I can see them listed in the Puppy package manager.

When I click on Start / Internet / Skype the old 4.2 one starts up, and everything works ( including microphone which is what wont work on 4.3 for me).

I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can reply in REALLY simple terms to tell me how to keep Skype working for past 20 days. I need Skype for about 6 months as my brother has travelled to the USA for winter and I am in Canada and hope to talk without going bankrupt using traditional phones. Thanks so much for all help in advance! Kevin

greengeek

#92 Post by greengeek »

Hi Kevin, my understanding would be this:
- If your skype is working ok now, just keep using it as is, until it stops and tells you it cant log in.
- At that time run skype 4.3 again (just once) and sign in, making sure to tick the "log me in when skype starts" tickbox.
- Let it come online and show your contacts, then quit skype4.3 (Make sure you "Quit" - not "logout")
- Start skype 4.2 and it will carry on as normal using the login details already provided by the 4.3 login. (The 4.2 version won't ask you at this time to provide your username/password because it can see that the .skype folder contains the details it needs)

I don't think you should be too worried about what happens in 20-30 days - the Skype server will simply discard the current login validation details at that time and ask you to log in again.

If you wanted to you could do the "version 4.3 login" thing before the 30 day timeout and it should start the 30 day counter from zero again. (To be honest I am not sure if it counts 30 days, or uses "calender month" boundaries).

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#93 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Thanks for replying to my query Sir, I understand it all EXCEPT I dont know how I would start the old version of Skype? All I do now is click Start / Internet / and click on a Skype icon , and the old one comes up, how would I deliberately start the old one? Thanks You Kevin

saintless

Re: using Skype on Puppy Linux version 5

#94 Post by saintless »

Hi, Kevin.
I do not understand what "setup your account with Skype 4.3.0.37 " means. I did find the hidden file / root / .Skype and I copied it into a desktop folder....could continous copying of that desktop folder every 20 days into /root/Skype keep me running?
Unfortunately it will not work and I do not recommend to wait till starting old skype version tells you that you can't login. It is possible to bring some more troubles for you.
When you login with latest skype you get creditentals key valid for 30 days. When you try to login after creditentals key expires you will be surprised you can't login even with latest Skype anymore. Possible you will get message your account is blocked because skype suspects someone uses your account on different computer. Then you will have to write skype support and answer questions like:
When did you create your account - year and month?
Name 3 contacts from your account?
In one-two days you will be asked few more questions like those and if all looks correct your account will be unblocked. This procedure takes 3 days.

To make the things easier for you I suggest when you copy /root/.Skype to Desktop rename the one on the desktop adding the login with Skype 4.3.0.37 date (for example - .Skype-12.11.2014). And when 8-10.12.2014 comes delete /root/.Skype folder. Then start skype 4.3.0.37 to setup the account to autologin again and make new copy on Desktop adding the date.
If it is not clear enough I will try to explain it better.

To make sure you will start old skype version for example rename the executable file skype-old. Then you will have /usr/bin/skype (latest skype) and /usr/bin/skype-old (older skype). Typing in terminal skype-old will start the older version. Typing skype will start lates version.

Toni

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#95 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Thanks for your reply Mr Saintless. I understand most of what you told me. I am confused by the naming of Skpes in the Usr / Bin /Skypes folder. I messed it up when I attempted to do step #3 on the first page, I eventually found a 29MB file as #3 instruction tells me to, and I put it in that Usr / Bin folder...this 29MB file has an Icon that looks like a dog bone to me ( I am sorry I don't know how to tell them apart).I named it SkypeKev. I have another file named Skype in there,its Icon is like a computer screen.I have still another in there I 've named Skypeold and it also has an icon looking like a monitor . Although I named it only a few days ago I already dont recall what it was, becuase it is overkill for my poor brain following all these instructions and I did everything quite a few times until all at once it worked.
But I understand the basic idea, one of those 3 Skypes in Usr/ Bin is actually my 4 .2 one now, correct? And one of them is the 4.3 one, and one is ????? So can I figure out which is which right now just by typing skypeKev, Skype and Skypeold in my terminal and seeing what happens, or will this mess everything up? I am guessing what I labled Skypeold might be my 4.3 but I screw so many things up I dont trust myself an inch, and what the dog bone one is is beyond me, Thanks a lot Kevin PS to all you experts out there, I bet reading my messages gives you a great idea how totally confusing it is to be a non -linux guy try to do Linux, its a very scary proposition especially when you have a four second memory like me! I really appreciate you taking time to help me some days its fun but sometimes I am really frustrated.It took me a terribly long time to figure out what the terminal was for example and how to get to it.

saintless

Re: skype

#96 Post by saintless »

Hi, Kevin.
You can find easy the version of each skype by typing the name and --version in terminal. It will not start skype but just shows output with version in terminal. Mine is 2.2.0.35 for example and I type skype --version in terminal and press Enter:

Code: Select all

skype --version
Skype 2.2.0.35
Copyright (c) 2004-2011, Skype Limited
Just check the exact names (are they skypeKev, Skype and Skypeold) and you can do the same by typing:

skypeKev --version

Skype --version

Skypeold --version
If you need more help just ask here.

Edit: To make sure checking the right file it is better to use full path to skype. If all files are in /usr/bin then the commands are:

/usr/bin/skypeKev --version

/usr/bin/Skype --version

/usr/bin/Skypeold --version
Toni

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#97 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Hi Saintless ; Thanks for your help; ok I tried typing in the Terminal Version command and when I type in /usr/bin/skype I get version 4 2 0 11 , and when I type in /usr/bin/skypeold I also get 4 2 0 11 ....when I type in /usr/bin/skypeKev it comes back saying cannot do it due to missing library libQTdbus.so.4. But the puppy package manager shows I have version 4 3 0 37 lucid installed and I know I had it installed becuase at one point it was starting up and I could not get the microphone to work.( Thats why I backed up to using the old version).
So now all I have to figure out, is how to start 4 3 0 37 version - any suggestions for finding and doing that? I am thinking its in my computer somewhere but I have no clue where.Thanks so much for all your kind help ! Kevin

saintless

Re: skype

#98 Post by saintless »

But the puppy package manager shows I have version 4 3 0 37 lucid installed and I know I had it installed becuase at one point it was starting up and I could not get the microphone to work.( Thats why I backed up to using the old version).
Hi, Kevin.

Unfortunately I do not use Puppy much and I can't guide you how to fix this problem easy in Puppy. Maybe someone else will help you better soon.
From your post I guess you have Puppy Lucid installed. What I can suggest is:
1. Back up /root/.Skype again (I think you already have backup copy on Desktop).
2. Rename /usr/bin/skype to /usr/bin/skype42
3. Uninstall skype 4.3.0.37 from Puppy Package Manager and install it again from this pet (I guess if you skip uninstalling and install on top the new pet will work also):
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4.3.0.37-lucid.pet

Now typing skype in terminal should start skype-4.3.0.37.
Typing skype42 should start skype-4.2.0.11
If something goes wrong just delete /root/.Skype and copy there the backup copy from Desktop. Starting skype 4.2.0.11 should autologin fine till someone else gives better advice how to fix the problem with skype 4.3.0.37 in Puppy Lucid. Just give some more details like is it really Puppy Lucid and frugal or full install.

Toni

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#99 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

Hi Saintless; Ok I will try your method, but I am going to wait 20-25 days until I do, so if I mess up I will at least gave enjoyed Skype for a month. Thanks so much for all your kind help! Kevin

ahoogakev@gmail.com

#100 Post by ahoogakev@gmail.com »

hi Saintless; Ok i will try your method, but I will wait 20-25 days before I do, so if I mess up I at least will have enjoyed Skype for a month. Thanks a lot, Kevin

greengeek

#101 Post by greengeek »

I have modified my skype combo pet (for slacko 5.6) so that there is now a longer time available for the user to enter their login details and tick the "keep me signed in" checkbox. I found that the previous 30 second window did not give me enough time if I had enjoyed a glass of wine :-)

EDIT : I should mention that I only use skype in a "Live puppy session" - in other words I do not keep a savefile. That way I avoid retaining any login traces from each skype session.

New version of the pet is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/odxu2 ... gg-1.5.pet

New version of the sfs here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0fd5i ... gg-1.5.sfs

Usage method described here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 952#800952

Basically it uses skype 4.3 for the login, then automatically stops it and starts skype 4.2 so that it can run with the standard puppy alsa, instead of mucking round with pulseaudio.

New login timeout is 45 seconds, so be sure to wait till that has timed out before making calls.

Here's how it works:

1) Just install the pet or the sfs
(if you use the sfs choose 'skypelogin' when it asks you)
(If you use the pet choose 'skypelogin' from the internet menu)

2) You'll get 45 seconds during which time you must do the following:
- agree to the skype terms
- enter your username and password
- tick the 'log me in each time skype starts' (tiny checkbox visble at bottom of login screen when you enter your username/password)
- click 'login'

Skype 4.3 will log you in and display your contacts, then at the end of the 45 seconds it will close down and automatically login Skype 4.2 (which will run with alsa instead of needing pulseaudio as 4.3 does)
Last edited by greengeek on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 09:49, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#102 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Greengeek!
First post link changed to the new packages.

Toni

technosaurus

#103 Post by technosaurus »

greengeek wrote:I have modified my skype combo pet (for slacko 5.6) so that there is now a longer time available for the user to enter their login details and tick the "keep me signed in" checkbox. I found that the previous 30 second window did not give me enough time if I had enjoyed a glass of wine :-)
wait, you removed the feature that prevents drunk-dialing
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#104 Post by greengeek »

Just edited my post above to note that I use these skype pets and sfs in 'live session' only, so that way I avoid any skype config/login details being retained by a savefile.

In general I do not use any savefiles at all and rely on having my personalisations set up as a readonly sfs. For skyping I have made a puppy with this 'no-savefile' structure if anyone wants to try it. Details here. It is weighty because it also includes Softmaker Freeoffice so really needs 1gig of ram if the user wants to run the personalisation script. Otherwise it will run on lower ram just as a live CD without personalisations.

sketchman

#105 Post by sketchman »

Thanks OP.

This works great. Using the 4.2 from the OP and the latest Skype to login.

Great work. :)
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

greengeek

#106 Post by greengeek »

I have made another version of my combo pet so that it stops any currently running session of Skype, then removes the /root/.Skype directory to clear out any expired credentials or corruptions or incompatibilities, then it starts the login process. I also added a popup advising the user to wait till Skype is ready. This just makes it a bit easier to see whats happening.

I made this version for testing on Slacko 5.7.0 (PAE) but it works fine on my Slacko 5.6 too.

Download here

Usage details in post above

mawasley

skype for 5.7.1 puppy precise

#107 Post by mawasley »

You made the combo package for slacko but it won't work on precise....do you have one for precise also? I not able to do anything more than download a pet package.
thanks.

greengeek

Re: skype for 5.7.1 puppy precise

#108 Post by greengeek »

mawasley wrote:You made the combo package for slacko but it won't work on precise....do you have one for precise also? I not able to do anything more than download a pet package.
thanks.
Sorry - stuck on android ph with no PC access at present. Will check out precise later this week..

greengeek

Re: skype for 5.7.1 puppy precise

#109 Post by greengeek »

Combo pet for use on Precise 5.7.1
mawasley wrote:You made the combo package for slacko but it won't work on precise....do you have one for precise also? I not able to do anything more than download a pet package.
thanks.
Hi mawasley, I have made a combo pet that I have tested on Precise 5.7.1 (I did not use a savefile - just a fresh boot from CD)

Download here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?7poj62b53bhdxjq

HowTo:
- First set your mixer controls so that the correct microphone is selected and capture/playback levels are set correctly. (ask if you need help with this).
- Connect to the internet (Do this even if you have already downloaded the combo pet into local storage. Skype can't load properly without an active internet connection).
- Download and install the pet.
- Run "skyeplogin" from the internet menu (NOTE - dont run "Skype" - only "skypelogin").
- Read the orange advisory note at top of screen (write down what it says if you need to). It will help you login correctly. Leave it onscreen until you have finished the login phase.
- Accept the Skype terms of use.
- Type your Skypename into the appropriate box.
- Type your password into the appropriate box.
- Look down the bottom right of the login screen and tick the tiny checkbox that says "Sign me in when Skype starts" (This is very important).
- Click the large "Sign in" button.

Skype 4.3 will start up and run through it's login validation and internal setup. It may display outstanding messages and chats etc. Don't try to make any calls at this time as sound is not yet set up.

At this point you can acknowledge the previous orange advisory message by closing it. Then you see a different (gray terminal) advisory screen pop up. You should now make some changes in the skype options menu:
- In the advanced menu turn off "Check for updates on startup"
- In the Sound Devices menu turn off "Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels"
- In the Privacy menu tick "Allow my status to be shown on the web"
- In the General menu you may wish to tick "Auto-accept files"
- In the Video Devices menu you may want to activate "Start my video automatically when I am in a call" and also set who is allowed to receive video.

Click "Apply" for each change!

Once the options are set you are ready to let the auto restart script carry on. It asks you to enter yes when you are ready, so just click into the advisory script box and type:
yes
(then hit the enter key).

The script will close the skypelogin phase and restart into Skype 4.2

Once your contacts list reappears you are ready to start making calls.

This sounds like a longwinded method, but hey, it works for me...
Please post back any failures or successes (what works on my hardware may not work the same on yours...)

mawasley

combo pet for use on precise 5.7.1

#110 Post by mawasley »

thks. GreenGeek for yr. reply and excellent instructions> download/install went fine, but after running SKYPELOGIN, nothing happened after the orange advisory box appeared.....could not continue with the login.

Any idea what is wrong? Should i run SKYPE.....thks.