Puppy Linux saves Disabled club approx £3000!

Promote Puppy !
ecomoney

Puppy Linux saves Disabled club approx £3000!

#1 Post by ecomoney »

Class of 2009...

Hi all. Thought it was about time I let you know about one of the Projects Ive been working on while not on the forum ;D.

Last summer I was approached by a local disabled club. They deal with the elderly disabled, mostly those that have trouble getting out and about, mostly (but not exclusively) due to age related conditions. They told me that they wanted to start computer classes to enable the clubs members to keep in contact, communicate with the outside world, and take advantage of online services (and shopping!).

As they had very little space (they hire a room in a local social club) they told me they wanted laptops that they could store away between sessions. Their budget was also extremely limited, and they wanted at least ten computers to cope with the demand for the course. Security was also an issue.

The laptops they had looked into getting were around £350 each. We currently have 14 laptops which would have made the bill just for hardware around £4,200. This is without additional setup fees. We opted for 14 reconditioned Dell D600's, sans batteries and hard drives. From our local reconditioned computer supplier these cost us just £1800. Just one of the computers has a Hard Drive, which netboots the others via ethernet (and a cheap £10 recon 24 port hub!). The hub plugs into the social clubs router via ethernet, which provides the internet connectivity.

Kittens....much more calm enducing than Teletubby land!

Over the past 12 weeks, Ive tought the first "term/semester" using a custom netbooted Puppy 4.21 system. Ive dressed it up to look "familiar" and used it to teach basic internet access, searching and email so far in the first term, teaching two classes. These are a beginners (those who have never used a computer before), and and an "intermediate" (those that have in some shape or form). The begiiners I started for the first two weeks just getting to grips with gCompris and learning the motor functions to use the mouse and the keyboard, then onto doing simple google web searches. The intermidiate ons I taught websurfing, and set them up with an email address.

Weve had a fair share of technical issues along the way. Half the omputers wernt working for the first class....later due to the fact that the others only had 256mb of RAM to netboot into. I did some remastering of the puppy image and now all the computers will boot into 256mb. We also had issues with the bios batteries not remembering the time and the date, or which device (ethernet PXE) to boot from. This made setup in the mornings tricky and time consuming, but theyre back at the refurbishers over the xmas period getting new bios batteries installed. Also, being in a rural location, the internet connection was down for two of the ten classes due to bad weather!

Teaching using puppy has been fun again, and Ive had plenty of opportunity to plug linux. One of the local computer guys has been coming to help teach the class, and has now learned to setup and install puppy linux...and has been installing puppy on the students home machines.

THE biggest barrier with people when they are just starting out using computers is the hooror stories they hear in the media and from their friends about viruses, "defragging", anti-virus etc. Its great to be able to explain to the budding cybernauts that they have nothing to fear from these things!

I still have a few issues to work out with the system....256mb of ram means that I will have to have two separate systems - one for the gcompris, built into 4.12 barebones to save space!, and a main teaching suite with seamonkey. I would like this to have firefox rather than Seamonkey as this is the browser they will be using mostly at home. Development of netbooting systems is still slow for me, as I have to reboot my computer each time to compress a boot image. Im working on a system using virtualization, that mounts the drive image after the VM session has done and automatically creates a netboot initrd.gz without having to reboot. Ive also got a problem with my server at the moment, and am working hard to raise the £70 needed to get it back online. I can then get my email, website and download server back up!!! Once this is done, I will write a more thorough howto and offer this system for download.

I also wanted to say happy new year to everyone who works on the Puppy Linux project, and a great many thanks for your services from a small corner of Lincolnshire!

Woof Woof!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

raffy

Congratulations!

#2 Post by raffy »

Congratulations, Robert and the project proponents!

Your net-booted 4.2.1 will be interesting for other computer labs, too. Hope you can upload it, example is here.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

Fantastic Rob. Just one thing though; by my mental arithmetic the saving is even greater than you're claiming, because £350 x 14 = £700 x 7 (multiplying and then dividing by 2) = £4,900 before set up fees!

It's stories like this which remind me why I use and love Puppy.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Slapdash

#4 Post by Slapdash »

It is a great story. Good job too :)

Ps. Yes, they saved 4900 on the initial laptops but then spent money on those they currently have (1800 quid - I just realised haven't got the "pound" symbol on my keyboard. WTH? :D)

daverich

#5 Post by daverich »

Love the Explore Internet icon,- that's actually very smart ;)

Kind Regards

Dave Rich

sidders

#6 Post by sidders »

Good effort.

note to self- Will have to get to grips with netboot

benali72

#7 Post by benali72 »

ecomoney, thanks for taking the time to post this. It's great to hear a real-world story about how Puppy is being used and having an impact.

ecomoney

#8 Post by ecomoney »

I have a problem with the machines! all of the bios batteries are flat and the supplier is refusing to replace them under warranty. at £4 each x 14 machines this is rather too much for the club to afford right now. Because the time isnt set security certificate validation errors are popping up at every secure website login and scaring the students!

I would like to set the time automatically from an internet timeserver at each boot. Ive requested a solution for this in the appropriate thread.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

#9 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks to everyone today on IRC who were so friendly to my students during the IRC lesson. They were absolutely petrified of chatrooms when I mentioned them, they had heard so many bad things....they left saying "wow...is that all they are, whats all the fuss about?" :-)

Colonel Panic

#10 Post by Colonel Panic »

Has anyone heard from ecomoney recently, or do they know anything about what he's up to nowadays (pm me if you want, but I'd be interested to know)? I hope he's OK anyway.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

dejan555

#11 Post by dejan555 »

Today on puppy linux forums: bringing old threads back from dead. :D

But seriously though I would like to know too, he had a very good use for puppy linux and I remember he shared his window-ish look puplet that he used to install on computers for those in need.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Puppyt

#12 Post by Puppyt »

Yes - I enjoyed using EcoPup 2.17 (from memory) and I still have several cd burns of ecomoney's pupplet. He might have polarised the older hands in the Puppy Community, but his enthusiasm and initiative was a major factor in my making Puppy my OS of choice. He was good value.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

cthisbear

#13 Post by cthisbear »

Ecomoney Seafarers Cybercafe Pup >> cyberlinux.iso

A first class effort I reuploaded last year.

Based on Puppy 4.21

http://www.4shared.com/file/j_QM5Uvw/cyberlinux.htm

These days you need to login....sorry.

Chris

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

cthisbear wrote:Ecomoney Seafarers Cybercafe Pup >> cyberlinux.iso

A first class effort I reuploaded last year.

Based on Puppy 4.21

http://www.4shared.com/file/j_QM5Uvw/cyberlinux.htm

These days you need to login....sorry.

Chris
Thanks, I'm downloading it now.

Colonel Panic

#15 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; when ecomoney came down to see us at the community centre I help out at in Cornwall, and to demonstrate the software he uses (and is featured in this thread), he left us a parting gift of a computer, which one of the local schools told him they would otherwise have dumped. This was in the summer of 2009.

This past week, the community centre have said they have no further use for the computer and have passed it on to me for my own use. All I've had to do with it is install the hard drive and sound card from my old machine (and the sound card works much better in this one) and buy two 1 GB sticks of RAM for it, as it only came with 256 MB, and it's working well.

So, if you're reading this Rob; thanks again! Hope you're OK wherever you are and whatever you're doing.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

starlyte

Linux and Puppy opened up a new world.

#16 Post by starlyte »

Nice one :D

I'm handicapped, with mobility reduced, since 1998. Obviously I needed to change my way of life, as I'd been very much an outdoor and jogging type of person.
For over a year I read about how to construct a desktop, and when I had enough money saved up I built a Duron 1200 based PC, but what to do for the OS? I'd spent what money I had on the hardware...
There was no internet where I lived, but I found a book, very detailed about Linux workings, with an installation CD for Mandrake.
Great, I played with that, even learnt to write Bash scripts for a couple of years until ADSL came to the mountain village I live in.
From then on I hunted around for a perfect Linux OS, and eventually settled on Puppy, which was in the Puppy-1 something at the time.
I wanted a versatile, uncluttered and more or less "build what you need" system. That's what I love about Puppy, and I'm now with Sulu-528 (Super Lucid, with a 3.0.25 kernel, although there's a new one with a 3.9.9 kernel now, so I'll be changing :lol: ).

Linux and since I've had Internet, Puppy have opened the world of the Informatics to me. I love it, both Hardware and Software, although I doubt I'll be leaving Puppy for any other Linux flavour, but I might need to change it slightly, to go on my server, TV Box, and Raspberry Pi.
I'd love a Ubuntu based 64bits Puppy... :roll:c

Informatics contact is very important if you're restricted in your mobility, and the use of Puppy and recycled Laptops is a real blessing, I imagine, for any disabled person. Money doesn't flow easily for those unable to work, and contact with the outside world through internet is a real blessing. At least I find it to be so.
Congratulations :D

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

If you would help test software for disabled persons, there are a few spin offs with onscreen mouse and keyboards and speech.. Could always use another person to help test.