Questions re: Debinization

Booting, installing, newbie
s243a

Questions re: Debinization

#1 Post by s243a »

I've been experimenting with the frugal installs (both on hard drive and USB). In want of more packages the Debinization topic has caught my interest:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Debianization

The first thing that I've noticed is that there are two different ways that I can install packages. I can either use dpkg as mentioned in the above guide or I can double click on a .deb file. I wasn't sure if either approach handled well the case of circular dependencies so after installing libc_bin, I proceeded to attempt to use alien2puppy

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57548

in order to try to simultaneously install several packages with circular dependencies. After I installed the pet file that was created via alien2puppy I could not reboot. Cntrl-ALt-Backspace did not help either. Cntrl-ALt-Backspace only closed the GUI but at the resulting prompt the poweroff command did not work.

Upon Restarting I got the following error.

segfault at c. ipb75abc5f sp bfcb9f80 error 4 in libc-2.2.11.1.so[b75959000+153000]
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!

Given the error, I don't think alien2puppy was the problem, given that the error referred to lib c and also that I installed libc-bin before attempting to use alien2puppy.

I noted just now that part of the functionality of libc-bin is to catch segmentation faults. I wonder if libc-bin may cause problems with puppylinux and if so then why.

This ordeal completely messed up the save file on my jump drive. Prior to doing this I copped the save file to the hard drive and when I tried to boot from the hard drive version of the save file I got the following error.

EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_get_inode: unable to read inode block - inode=32771, block = 131074

The hard drive patrician that I saved to is formatted EXT3. I can't remember if I saved the save file to the USB on EST2 or EXT3 format. I presume that I should have used the proper backup utilities rather than just trying to directly copy the save file.

-------

I am very new to linux and am interested in learning more about the system. However, since I am new please don't assume any advanced understanding and point me to any important reading required for your response. I have some knowledge of programming but very little knowledge of linux.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I add libc libs as one complete lump as an sfs.
This unfortunately will not work with standard puppies.

Plan b would be to add them to a non running save file.

Using a live sequential method (pet) has a good chance of failing since these are core libs and having just one file of a different version will seize the system and everything uses them so the odds are poor.

I have manually added them live one at a time...libs first then symlinks.... but I got lucky....perhaps there is a sequence that works but I could not say that for certain.

Also note puppy often has a cut down locale folder for these...I assume you remembered to include that. Also I am not sure by how far you can update the versions of these files.

mike

s243a

#3 Post by s243a »

mikeb wrote:I add libc libs as one complete lump as an sfs.
This unfortunately will not work with standard puppies.

Plan b would be to add them to a non running save file.

Using a live sequential method (pet) has a good chance of failing since these are core libs and having just one file of a different version will seize the system and everything uses them so the odds are poor.

I have manually added them live one at a time...libs first then symlinks.... but I got lucky....perhaps there is a sequence that works but I could not say that for certain.

Also note puppy often has a cut down locale folder for these...I assume you remembered to include that. Also I am not sure by how far you can update the versions of these files.

mike
Are there any tools available to install stuff to non running save files?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Yes...boot with the pfix=ram boot option.
Click on the save file and it will open for you

Mike