How to capture audio output

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Added an sfs version to my post above for those than don't want to take a risk with installing pets.

greengeek

Re: How to capture audio output

#17 Post by greengeek »

SFR wrote:KNOWN ISSUES:
- PCM slider in Alsamixer/Retrovol no longer works
I am finding that alsamixer won't start at all. It gives the following error:

Code: Select all

# alsamixer
invalid card index: "
It appears to be having trouble with the "card" definition in this stanza:

pcm.looprec {
    type hw
    card "Loopback"
    device 1
    subdevice 0
}
Retrovol runs fine though.

Do you think it might be possible to make any change that keeps alsamixer happy and lets it run (despite the loss of PCM slider as you have indicated) or is this just an unavoidable side effect?

EDIT : Strangely - if I enter "alsamixer version" into a terminal then alsamixer does run! (Wrong syntax to tell me which version but hey, it opens the alsamixer gui!)
It seems to look slightly different (fonts harder to read) but at least it runs. Weird.
cheers!

EDIT 2 : Alsamixer is version 1.0.26 and this is on a Slacko 5.6 derivative.

SFR

#18 Post by SFR »

greengeek wrote:Do you think it might be possible to make any change that keeps alsamixer happy and lets it run (despite the loss of PCM slider as you have indicated) or is this just an unavoidable side effect?
Hey Greengeek

Sorry, but I have no slightest idea what and how should be changed, I don't get this syntax at all...
Just tried it in Fatdog and Alsamixer/Retrovol work well (except PCM), but YT in Chrome is mute.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Pelo

linked to topic in Multimedia section.

#19 Post by Pelo »

information linked to Simple screen recorder, topic in Multimedia section.

number77

#21 Post by number77 »

Hello
Could anyone bring this thread up to date and explain one or two things, it seemed so useful.
number77

Smithy

#22 Post by Smithy »

Some info at the links below number 77.
I am trying to figure out how to run things without the pain in de ass
"the bloody card is already in use by another programme".
And:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1052:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

We really need an .asoundrc that will just flow alsa through the system freely, maybe multi might do it.

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrec

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... s-together

https://github.com/karlstav/cava#from-a ... ice-tricky

pcm.snd_card { # my usual sound card
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default { # default control; alsamixer and such will use this
    type hw
    card 0
}

# software mixer for sound card
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_perm 0666 # allow other users
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        channels 2 # must match bindings
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

# software mixer for loopback device
pcm.dmixerloop {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 2048
    ipc_perm 0666 # allow other users
    slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        channels 2 # must match bindings
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

# allows multiple programs to capture simultaneously
pcm.dsnooper {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 2048
    ipc_perm 0666 
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    slave 
    {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        channels 2 
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

pcm.!default {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "out"
    capture.pcm "dsnooper"
}

# Multi, splitting onto usual card and loopback
pcm.out {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {
        type multi
        slaves {
            a { channels 2 pcm "dmixer" }
            b { channels 2 pcm "dmixerloop" }
        }
        bindings {
            0 { slave a channel 0 }
            1 { slave a channel 1 }
            2 { slave b channel 0 }
            3 { slave b channel 1 }
        }
    }
    ttable [
        [ 1 0 1 0 ]   # left  -> a.left,  b.left
        [ 0 1 0 1 ]   # right -> a.right, b.right
    ]
}

rijnsma

#23 Post by rijnsma »

I' m afraid no recorder except streamripper works here which is a pitty.
I think I have tried them all in Puppy. editing sound is right (for example Audacity as far as I tried it for now).
Further I like Puppy Xenial a lot.

mikeslr

Not Much Information to Go On

#24 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rijnsma,

You have our sympathies. It's about all we can give without further detailed information.

Which Xenialpup (32 or 64 bit and version number)?

Which computer (make, model, and what sound card -- Menu>System>PupSysInfo will provide the latter)?

If attempting to record via a mic, what mic?

Which of the several audio capture applications have you tried? What settings did you try in it? In Alsa? in Retrovol? What went wrong?

But rather than answering those questions in this thread, pick one or more of the several audio capture applications threads you'll find on the Additional Software Section > Multimedia, provide the above information and detail your experience. A quick scan of that Section reveals threads for VLC, Audacious, pAVrecord and pRecord. Maybe others I didn't recognize. Digging deeper, you'll find old threads for mhWavEdit which is built into almost all Puppies. There's nothing wrong with reviving an old application thread, especially when a problem appears in a new Puppy.

And then there's the Audio and Video recording applications like Wex. Worse case scenario: record both Audio and Video as a mp4, then use VLC to convert to an mp3 -- or similar work-arounds.

As you know, Puppy is a Fan-driven distro. None of us have more than a couple of computers. So, while the creators of applications desire their creations to be as useful as possible, they need feedback to correct problems and make improvements.

mikesLr

rijnsma

#25 Post by rijnsma »

I didn' t get a notificationpost that I got a reply in this thread, so sorry for waiting for my reply Mike.

I use the 64 xenial version.
I tried everything, really everything on this Asus-pc and it is strange, because I have several partitions with linuxes and mostly I can get it right without too much work. I also installed (and dumped) several mixers on Puppy..

There's some solution now.
I told about streamripper.
I can record also via VLC right mousekey on the pilon in the taskbar and record. So I'm growing a little into it. I can use now streamripper and VLC and that covers a lot though not all.

I tried Audacity (it has always a lot of option, great!), Bacon, Sound Recorder (nice simpel), Wavrec, arecord, MhWavedit, QARecord (wich I have liked a lot, because handy).

For me there is certainly something not normal with Alsa. I never understood Alsa, but mostly I get it working. I also tried Pulse, but it does not connect to server.

I'm going to follow your advice and search on the forum. Thanks a lot.

mikeslr

#26 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rijnsma,

My apologies if I came off too harsh. It was a slow day and I couldn't find anything on the Forum to post to. :) No, I'm serious. Trying to solve problems is how I keep my mind active in retirement.

For the last year or more, the Xenialpups have been my main OSes. I'd like to be able to recommend them when possible. It's a point of pride that comparatively speaking, these can do almost everything that a "Big Distro" can, while using much fewer computer resources; and that, IMHO, properly configured they provide a much more secure operating system than those. So, I get a little defensive about vague criticisms.

But since you can record under Steamripper and now VLC, your posts do suggest something is wrong with the commonly used sound recorders under the Xenialpups, or that there's something your doing/not-doing. Applications should 'just work', and if not, there should be clear instructions on how to get them to work.

I'm happy to learn that when you have the opportunity you'll help the application devs to improve their creations.

Today's a slow day as well. :( :lol:

mikesLr

rijnsma

#27 Post by rijnsma »

Oh no, you were not too harsh. :smile:
I only realised I had the notification off.

I have not looked at Puppy for some time and I am astonished how good it runs and how it has evolved.
Thatś also why I 'persist on recording sound'. I demand it in every distro.
Like for instance: "Can I make a perfect bootable backup of the system?". In Puppy I can, but in Ubuntu-likes 'Systemback' doesn't work anymore and old Remasterme not too, so: what then?

Now I found out: Pinguybackup, does about the same like 'Remasterme' (also gone). Etcetera. This searching I do now for about thirteen years and it has become a part of living (well). :lol:

Thanks again. I'm going to search the forum.
I can already record in some alternative way like I told.
But I like the graphic gui's more. :wink: