Broadcom B43 Wi-fi not working in Slacko 5.7.0 PAE iso?

darrenforster99

Broadcom B43 Wi-fi not working in Slacko 5.7.0 PAE iso?

#1 Post by darrenforster99 »

I've used Puppy Linux for years now as it's the only Linux I've ever managed to get my wi-fi card working properly in without having to go and mess around with the windows driver for this card.

However I recently lost my old puppy linux disc and downloaded and created a new one. In the past I've used both Slacko and Lucid with no problems, but this new Puppy seems very different and unfortunately no longer seems to have the drivers for my broadcom wi-fi card, which is a shame because that's the card that's in my Compaq Presario v5000 series laptop.

Is it possible to get it working again simply like with a PET or something? Is there another version of Puppy Linux that still includes this driver all set up and ready to go like the old versions used to.

I presume the driver has been removed because my laptop has now got so old it's too old even for Linux (I think the laptop is about 10-12 years old now).

peebee

Re: Broadcom B43 Wi-fi not working in Slacko 5.7.0 PAE iso?

#2 Post by peebee »

darrenforster99 wrote:I've used Puppy Linux for years now as it's the only Linux I've ever managed to get my wi-fi card working properly in without having to go and mess around with the windows driver for this card.

However I recently lost my old puppy linux disc and downloaded and created a new one. In the past I've used both Slacko and Lucid with no problems, but this new Puppy seems very different and unfortunately no longer seems to have the drivers for my broadcom wi-fi card, which is a shame because that's the card that's in my Compaq Presario v5000 series laptop.

Is it possible to get it working again simply like with a PET or something? Is there another version of Puppy Linux that still includes this driver all set up and ready to go like the old versions used to.

I presume the driver has been removed because my laptop has now got so old it's too old even for Linux (I think the laptop is about 10-12 years old now).
Hi Darren

Are you sure that your laptop is pae capable? You might be better off with the 4g/nopae variant of Slacko5.7.....

Please run dmesg in a terminal and see if there are any lines mentioning b43 that give clues as to what might be wrong.

If the problem is just missing firmware then you should be able to transfer this from another puppy with working wifi.

Also run lsmod in a terminal and see if either b43 or wl drivers are loaded (or any other that maybe wifi).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

You can try this:

I have noticed a post or 2 about the firmware not being unpacked from the /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware.
In /lib/modules/all-firmware
Look for the name that will match your device.
Just unpack it.
Place it into /lib/firmware
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)