Question about frugal Install

Booting, installing, newbie
BurtonBenson

Question about frugal Install

#1 Post by BurtonBenson »

This is usually the result of standing in entrance of a store show and buying two of everything. You can even make certain parts of your garden stand out by utilizing outside photo voltaic lights.

We all know that the availability of photo voltaic powered lights is not new. It has been with us for fairly some time now. Now, for those individuals who want to have their personal photo voltaic patio lights as an alternative to electrical or gasoline powered patio lights, now is the time that you get 1 for your self.

The use you will get out off all your solar flood lights outdoor are plentiful. With the simplicity and convenience it requires to push these photo voltaic lights in the floor and mild up anything you want at night, all home owners and renters alike should be buying them like mad. And the price it requires to do so will not set you back more than a few of hundred bucks max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAavcjzCJYc

Christmas lights in rope fashion are usually wrapped about exterior fixtures, but there are also solar lighting choices that permit for hanging. A great example is the photo voltaic driven LED garland mild -- in the type of starbursts -- for sale at the Xmas Depot. These outdoor lights alter colors and provide 18 feet of protection, but they only function 6 starbursts per strand that fall one foot.

We hear a great deal about using photo voltaic power but most of the conversations are about photo voltaic panels on our rooftops. Numerous individuals can't pay for this and doing it your self might not be an option. Nevertheless, we can all participate in this by using solar lighting. You can get a photo voltaic garden light to brighten up little or large areas of your yard, garden, entryway, and patio. Some illustrations of solar garden mild are a garden gnome with lantern, hummingbird chimes, photo voltaic butterfly mild, or numerous dogs with a lantern in their mouths. A solar garden mild utilizes daylight and not electrical energy so it is cost efficient and ornamental all at once. If you require to mild larger areas of the garden, backyard, etc. there are various types of led solar light available.

Walkways need to be clear of obstructions, but also verify to make sure they have a degree surface. Uneven pavement, stones, bricks, concrete, or other supplies can trigger you or a customer to trip and fall. Maintaining your walkways in great restore not only provides curb attraction but also tends to make great economic sense as well.

Lowe's - You can discover great solar powered lights at Lowe's hardware and developing provide shops throughout the country. You will find fantastic deals on photo voltaic Christmas lights each in shop and on-line at Lowe's costing you just under 40 American dollars.

You can place them on any place as they do not have any external wire elements. This is what great about these lighting preparations. Even if you are preparing to location it along pool aspect or any other outdoor water body like water fountains, you don't need to worry as they are secure to use in such environment. However, it is important to find places exactly where tree shades do not prevent the sun hitting the solar cells. Also it takes at minimum few days to perform nicely, so do not shed patience if your solar lights are not working proper in the starting. It requires full sunlight for couple of times to perform efficiently.

Solar Backyard Lights are coming of age they add ease and comfort, safety and atmosphere, with out high upkeep costs, potential electrical dangers and set up issues.
Last edited by BurtonBenson on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Pretty much.

I tend to do it all manually myself now. I use grub4dos bootloader so that's a menu.lst file in the root partition that I edit to point to each installation, so you get the choice at bootup. Looks something like :

# menu.lst
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 4
default 0

title Lucid 525 No Save
find --set-root /LUCID/vmlinuz
kernel /LUCID/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram
initrd /LUCID/initrd.gz

The 'default' value numbers from zero for the first in the list, so you can have multiples of those types of entries and pick which one starts by default. The timeout value is how many seconds before that default is automatically run (unless you use the up or down keys to select another at bootup).

Just copy the puppy files into a directory/folder, and change the menu.lst pointers to point to the respective files/folder.

My actual menu.lst currently looks like the following, so I can boot the same puppy in different ways, or different puppy's, where it defaults to the second one in the set after a 4 second delay.

# menu.lst
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/tempest.xpm
timeout 4
default 1

title Debian Jessie Frugal RW
# use blkid /dev/sda1 of whatever to determine the uuid to use
# alternatively use root (hd1,0) where counting from 0 disk number, partition number
# alternatively use something like find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
uuid 9279f232-6692-49fe-9594-721ec49d674f
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64

title Debian Jessie Frugal RO
uuid 9279f232-6692-49fe-9594-721ec49d674f
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence persistence-read-only quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64

title DEBDOG64 PorteusDog
find --set-root /DEBDOG64/live/vmlinuz1
kernel /DEBDOG64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/DEBDOG64/ changes=EXIT:/DEBDOG64/live/
initrd /DEBDOG64/live/initrd1.xz

title Lucid 525 No Save (FOR ADMIN)
find --set-root /LUCID/vmlinuz
kernel /LUCID/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram
initrd /LUCID/initrd.gz

Each puppy can have different boot parameters, and method of saving (or not). Usually I look at what boot definition came with the individual puppy and just more or less copy that into my own menu.lst, but with the necessary changes to point it to the right directory.

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Yes BurtonBenson. You can put Puppy in a folder on a drive that has a different OS already and point to it with grub/grub4dos.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Yes.

To store it in a folder, you must be on a Linux file system (ext2, ext3 or ext4).

It will work on a Windows file system too, but you have to store your changes in a squashfs file instead.

The first time you exit Puppy, it will walk you through setting up the folder or squashfs file.

A few sample menu.1st entries for you.

Normal Frugal Install to hard drive (will instantly write changes to save folder/file)

Code: Select all

Title Puppy Linux Tahr64 6.05 in sda3 dir tahr64
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz  psubdir=tahr64
initrd /tahr64/initrd.gz
Tell it to treat like it is a usb drive install (will store changes in ram and will periodically or on demand write changes to save folder/file depending on how you set it)

rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=tahr64
initrd /tahr64/initrd.gz
Ignore save file and/or folder and just boot with out of the box system (this is how you would create a new save folder/file)

rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pfix=ram psubdir=tahr64
initrd /tahr64/initrd.gz

Sailor Enceladus

#5 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

dancytron wrote:Yes.

To store it in a folder, you must be on a Linux file system (ext2, ext3 or ext4).

It will work on a Windows file system too, but you have to store your changes in a squashfs file instead.
Yes I think this is what BurtonBenson is asking (frugal install). I have one of my puppies on FAT32 and another on EXT4.