HELP -GRUB not installing to hard drive ! (SOLVED )

Booting, installing, newbie
akash799

HELP -GRUB not installing to hard drive ! (SOLVED )

#1 Post by akash799 »

hi there !

I have got the puppy 2.01 cd from a mate ,ran it on my computer and it ran very well.
when i tried to install it to the hard drive it asked me to choose which drive to put in it on so i choose IDE (ATA) INTENAL HARD DRIVE (i had chosen to delete win'98 ) and the whole drive is for puppy!

Then a message came
"IF ALL WENT WELL, PUPPY HAS BEEN INSTALLED TO HDA....."

then it asks if i want to 'BOOT from USB' or 'install GRUB' so i choose install grub but then it gives me a error message that "the partition dev/hda is not linux "
i tried writing MBR instead of /dev/hda but still gives the same message.
i also tried writing /dev/hda1 but it still says "the partition /dev/hda1 is not linux " .... so now what do i do ?
and as for that how do i format the hard drive since i want to re-install Puppy from scratch ?
Please give solutions !
Last edited by akash799 on Tue 25 Jul 2006, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

Hi,
sounds like you chose a type 2 install that needs a linux partition. You need to reboot with the option "puppy pfix=ram" so that it wont be using you hard drive then repeat the install with a type 1 or go to the start menu and control panel and you will find a program calle Gparted that will allow you to delete you old windows partion and create a linux partition. It would be best to create a linux etx3 partition over most of the drive but save a few hundred MB to create a linux-swap type partition. After you apply the changes the partitions will get formatted. You can then exit Gparted and do the type 2 install.

Bill

akash799

#3 Post by akash799 »

ok will do that now but please revisit this thread so that if anything goes wrong i can post a message and u can guide me !

thanks

akash799

#4 Post by akash799 »

Ok I managed to get the puppy installed!
Thanks BILL !

But i still have a few minor problems :
When i re-boot the screen comes up with this text ;

GNU GRUB VERSION 0.96 639k lower/80896k upper memory

LINUX (on /dev/hda1)

Install GRUB to floppydisk (on/dev/fd0)
Install GRUB to linux partition (on/dev/hda1)

the line is selected on LINUX (on/dev/hda1) so i jus press enter and the screen loads up!

so i want it to go direct so what should i do ?
As i'm using the hard disk PUPPY now when i click on any of the mouse buttons the control panel menu comes up,why is that ?can I stop that ? ( it was doing this when i was using the LIVE CD )
i want it to come up only when i click the start menu !
also it asks me to choose a screen resolution,can't i make a choice so that it comes to that resolution permanentely ! i like the 800x600x16 best is there any problem with that one ?

Billcnz

#5 Post by Billcnz »

Hi Akash,
the Grub configuration file is found at:
/boot/grub/menu.lst

If you click on this file it will open with a text editor (geany) so you can edit it to your requirements. In this type of file a hash # is used to "comment out" or disable a line that you don't want so if you remove the # from the line that says "timeout= 30" it will make grub boot automatically. You can also change the number from 30 seconds to a small time so you wont have to wait:

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Fri Jul 14 15:16:52 2006
#
# Start GRUB global section
timeout 30 # removed here
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Other bootable partition config begins
title Windows (on /dev/hda1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# Other bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/hda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

You other question about the start menu is due to the nature of the JWM window manager used in Puppy, I would go with it for a while and you may get used to it but there are other window managers available but I wouldn't recommend changing the default window manager until you're more familiar with Puppy. Someone else may know if the behaviour you mention can be disabled.

Bill

akash799

#6 Post by akash799 »

THANKS BILL !

but still a few questions :
where will i open "/boot/grub/menu.lst " from should it be from inside puppy or on the DOS screen ?
if from inside the puppy which application exactly ?(cos i'm new i do not know which application to use!)
one other thing, i am having problems with puppy recognising the wireless usb key and i have put a post about it but no-one seems to be answering it !
the topic title is :USB WIRELESS KEY NOT WORKING ?!!!!!
Is there any way that you can help ?

Thanks for your help here !

Akash

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

akash799, I'm pretty sure your question of how to stop the start menu from popping up when the mouse button is clicked has been answered in the forum. Try using the forum search. Something like "JWM start menu" might get you close, or maybe just "start menu".

Billcnz

#8 Post by Billcnz »

akash799 wrote:THANKS BILL !

but still a few questions :
where will i open "/boot/grub/menu.lst " from

Akash
Hi Akash,
you need to click on the home icon on the Puppy desktop, that will open the Rox file manager and clicking the up arrow will take you to the top level directory where you will see the boot folder, you should be able to find your way from there. Sorry I don't have wireless experience so can't help with your other question, hopfully someone else will get back to you on that one.

Bill

akash799

#9 Post by akash799 »

thanks BILL
now its working without me having to press anything !
you were a great help !
Hope that you can be of further help if i do need it !

AKASH

akash799

#10 Post by akash799 »

Flash wrote:akash799, I'm pretty sure your question of how to stop the start menu from popping up when the mouse button is clicked has been answered in the forum.........".
Thanks Flash will go thru the forum !
Do you have any ideas about USB wireless key ?

Akash[/b]