slack57-2015fd

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ThoriumBlvd

#16 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

A reminder here that wget 1.14 that is included in ALL of the distros in this thread needs an upgrade to version 1.16. There is a pet that will accomplish this here.

With thanks to l0wt3ch for all things done.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

glene77is

slack57_ff23

#17 Post by glene77is »

Guys,
Have been using IRON (based on Google Chrome) for several years.

Just Downloaded FireFox Namoroka, 3.6.28
Wonder where this stands in the FF27 discussion ?

glene77is
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

I've never used it. Before Puppy I used 2.0.19, and a shinobar update to 3.0.
Then, basically, the internet "required FF4 or better". So I went puppy, and FF23. And now after security concerns SSL/TLS... FF27.

Configuring SSL/TLS in about config would be of use. Using addons like AdBlockxyz, and Redirect Cleaner help with link-spoofing. As more and more "common" web-locations go https, there is a need to removve SSL3 and TLS1.0. One should stick with TLS 1.2 if possible. So... these things are possible in FF27.

Can this be done in 3.6.28? Patches or pups or sfs? Thats where it stands, where you allow your browser to stand.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Sorry for the double, but something came to my attention today, that had not appeared previously.

I noticed that I had previously linked to l0wt3ch's wget 1.16 upgrade. I did install this and confirmed it. Then this past evening (some 15 days later) I get a kernal panic on boot up.. OOPS, somethings amiss, and back to the CD to reload. and kernal panic again. Hmmm. I put in an older version of this distro (the one linked to here: I had installed wget 1.16, and burned a new disk) and everything OKie dokie. Ultimately, the problem "seems" to boil down to a missing dependency, not reported as missing. I think thats my error as I checked b/4 Reboot with wget 1.16. After reboot, it seems theres a missing dependency

libpcre.so.1

Not to worry, a rename during the copy of the symlink seems to have solved.

BEFORE applying the wget upgrade

1.) Open Rox and navigate to /usr/lib and find the symlink named libpcre.so

2.) Right-Click and select COPY

3.) EDIT the name to libpcre.so.1

4.) OK

Now the l0wt3ch offered wget 1.16 puppy-package can be installed.

I've done a remaster with this patch, and cross-fingers, knock-on-wood (raps skull) its OK. Two shut-downs so far.

8Geee

FireFox-27

#20 Post by 8Geee »

Recently, I've been experimenting with the rather bloaty nature of FF27 and its add-ons. By using about config with the term block, I was able to maipulate some file sizes. As a side note, I decided and recommend that all addons except AdBlock Edge have their updates set to "No". This because Redirect Cleaner tried (unsuccessfully) to upgrade to 3.0 which is not intended for FF27.

AdBlock Edge needs updating rather frequently. What I discovered is that there are 5 backups that can get to 5Mb each rather quick. About config has an entry to limit (user set) the default back ups. Yaaayy, I set it to 2 backups. But of course, thats not enough. One has to go into dot mozilla to cleanup the LAST 3 (#3, 4, and 5)

This can be used on the full or eee versions.

For those that like to tinker...
OFF-LINE
open FF27, in address bar "about:config"
in the search bar type block
set extensions.adblockedge.patternsbackups with double-click
type in 2 then close FF27

ROX --> root (show all) --> .mozilla --> firefox --> xyz123ab (folder to right of "icons") --> adblockedge

remove patternsbackup3 4 and 5

Close ROX and reboot puppy

I did remaster this config with the wget dependency fixed. This will be used a bit more before uploading a patched iso, JIC.

8Geee

Testing complete on ff27/adblock tweaks

#21 Post by 8Geee »

Testing complete with no apparent bugs. The new iso has been uploaded with the title slacko5.7-2015. This is the EEE netbook version with some video drivers removed.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97110

I will be working on the full-driver version today. That result will be posted here when ready. It was decided to separate these versions as separate threads.

8Geee

Updated to slack57-2015fd

#22 Post by 8Geee »

Just got the upload completed after some breakage problems. Since this is the stable version and the start of a new year, it seemed appropriate...

https://archive.org/details/slack57-2015fd

This is the full-driver (fd) update to slack57-ff27 suitable for most netbooks, lappys, and boxes. All of the video drivers remain, with the bash, wget, and openssl updated completed and checked.

md5sum slack57-2015fd.iso 5701ac06a1b172f9192e3b015d9711da
size 177494016 Bytes (173334KB 169.27MB)

Similar to the eee-version, its just about turn-key. Add your personal files and import your firefox bookmarks... ready to go.

ally

#23 Post by ally »

8Geee

openssl 1.0.1k

#24 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder to check Updates Manager for a new openssl version "K" and its libraries. Several things related to SSL3 including an exploit that LOWERS security, and efforts a DoS. People using puppy for secure things might want to D/L these updates from slackware.

mekalu2k4

memory gets in the way

#25 Post by mekalu2k4 »

[quote="ThoriumBlvd"]tried it, looks OK, runs OK but needs foo here for my printer.
Scanning e3ay for 2G-surf models. Maybe FreeOffice pet can go with this. 512M memory might get in the way.

hi, We are now upgrading our Asus 7inch 701-SD netbook/intel atom 270 to 2GB. The RAM might be reaching us next week. Can we run Libero office with 2Gigs? Right now, Office cannot be started. We use a live version of compiz-pup ISO on 32gb SD card. Our machine has no internal hard drive.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: memory gets in the way

#26 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mekalu2k4 wrote:
ThoriumBlvd wrote:tried it, looks OK, runs OK but needs foo here for my printer.
Scanning e3ay for 2G-surf models. Maybe FreeOffice pet can go with this. 512M memory might get in the way.

hi, We are now upgrading our Asus 7inch 701-SD netbook/intel atom 270 to 2GB. The RAM might be reaching us next week. Can we run Libero office with 2Gigs? Right now, Office cannot be started. We use a live version of compiz-pup ISO on 32gb SD card. Our machine has no internal hard drive.
2 gigs is plenty for libre. i run it on two netbooks, one an asus, one a dell--the one gig dell has no problem, the two gig asus also has no problem. shouldn't matter which pup you use.

hth

mekalu2k4

#27 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Thanks for the response. Have a few questions, bear with me

1. What is the best way of using the linux OS on small netbooks? a) live version with ISO file? OR b) frugal installation ?

2. If the answer is 'b' [frugal installation], then can we install the linux distro on a SD card ? in other words, can we use the removable SD card as hard drive?

Thanks in advance for guidance

Puppus Dogfellow

#28 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mekalu2k4 wrote:Hi Thanks for the response. Have a few questions, bear with me

1. What is the best way of using the linux OS on small netbooks? a) live version with ISO file? OR b) frugal installation ?

2. If the answer is 'b' [frugal installation], then can we install the linux distro on a SD card ? in other words, can we use the removable SD card as hard drive?

Thanks in advance for guidance
there are rabid proponents of each type (you left out install folder--that's nice, too), but they all work well and i've had good experiences with each. i have a laptop that i'm using as a desktop--it's running off a frugal sd card. i have an asus netbook that's also basically a desktop--that one's a frugal running off the disk. i have a desktop booting off a cd to a save folder on a drive (primarily--it's got about ten other installations on it--they all pretty much do) and a netbook with a gig of ram that's a frugal. it doesn't really matter what you choose, imho. the only real issue with the card is that it is slow unless you disable automatic saves (there are tutorials to explain how and a pet that automates the process)--save at shutdown, save when you're leaving the room, save your stuff outside the savefile/save folder. that's how i run my main OS, precise 5.5 on an HP laptop. the drive failed a check three years ago, so i started running off cards, using the disk for storage and swap. disk seems okay, but no need to go back--this is really just as fast once you get the hang of the saving routine.

as to the best way to use a netbook--just maximize space. here's a shot of my spin of precise 571. this is a desktop running a folder, but that's pretty much how i set up everything on all of them. puppy is already great for netbooks because of how light it is. give yourself 24 workspaces (or more) and move over the taskbar a pixel to right so you can access the right click menu (or additional ones, if you add them) on a fully occupied screen. divide up the tasks on the tray and make some or all of it autohide--things like these help make netbook screens feel less cramped. here's the dell netbook running precise 571--1 pixel border around the whole deal, nine root menus, over 120 days running since last reboot, frugal install. has the same autohidden trays as the above pic plus an additional tray that's not--the interface tweaks make it more comfortable and can be applied to pretty much any pup.

fwiw, that asus was for a long time running full installations of puppy and/or booting off a thumb drive. full install off the disk boots fastest, i think. to further complicate the issue: the new f2fs filesystem, which virtually all newer pups support, is perhaps fast enough to allow you to disregard what i said about disabling autosaves (but you'd have to reformat your drives).

hth

8Geee

#29 Post by 8Geee »

I personally favor some of the nano-usb "plugs" that are rather unobtrusive.
Of these the SanDisk Cruzer Fit is the only one with a drive-light. In regards to using SDHC cards, two things... NO drive-light, and ASUS's port is notoriously slow (as in cheapest part available). So from the frugal install side this works great for me. YRMV !

CD-Live is best security, and no saves, or other things that get in the way. However, slim-CD's for portability are quite fragile, and a full-size player with 12V wall adaptor is, well, not portable, but is durable.

I therefore prefer B.) with a small USB-stick, coupled to a full-sized CD/DVD burner at home, and just tote the netbook solo on the road.

the SSD makes a fine storage drive.

About LibreOffice.... NOT IN A 2G surf !
Use FreeOffice by SoftMaker instead. Its smaller, and DOES NOT need JAVA. If you have an Atom-EEE OK, use what you want. Just the one exception.

8Geee

#30 Post by 8Geee »

There have been recent concerns about GHOST (g-host). This is a valid concern if running any puppy as a server. Unfortunately, slackware is not showing an obvious update to glibc 2.15 There is reportedly a 2.15.9 version that will patch this problem. The updates from slackware claim 2.15 without further extension.

At this point, just a shout-out to community about what is going on in this case, and is the upgrade from slackware found to be the correct (2.15.9) version. Personally, I'd rather not recommend something like this unless needed. This puppy and the eee version shows 2.15.6.

Otherwise, puppy comes with hiawatha, samba, and general "File Sharing" methods of becoming a server. These can be deleted using pFind entries of samb and hiaw. DO NOT delete the root/.packages/builtin_files/ These are the listing of all files installed. In the case of samba, some executables do not conform to the pFind request. I mention all this because some folks feel that such server processes if uneeded, should be uninstalled/removed. A reminder if you are running a print-server, DO NOT uninstall samba, CUPS/foo needs it.

regards 8Geee

8Geee

openssl 1.0.1o

#31 Post by 8Geee »

A reminder that openssl 1.0.1o is available for download using Slackware Package manager. There are fixes for 'certs', including a rather nasty elliptical-curve exploit. Both the file and 'solib' file should be D/L. As usual, reboot needed.

8Geee

Browser tweak

#32 Post by 8Geee »

Theres been a recent vunerability called logjam that affects both browser and Open SSL. This post concerns just the browser, there will soon be an OpenSSL patch... when it gets to Slackware Updates, I dunno. But in the meantime I've posted a proceedure for fixing FF27.0.1 here.

Some people would rather upgrade the browser to FF38.0.6. That day may be coming for the rest of us.

8Geee

This thread is moving

#33 Post by 8Geee »

This older version of Slacko5.7updates will be locked (no new posts) due to the many upgrades and updates. For the lastest update Please go HERE.

Regards
8Geee