LinuxCNC (EMC2) on Puppy

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
vtpup

#91 Post by vtpup »

More testing:

Don't need Geany -- Gedit is already aboard and similar.

Don't need Galculator -- Gcalctool already aboard.and similar.

Would like a graphic way to mount - or auto mount, and if possible, disk icons on the desktop if not too difficult to add.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#92 Post by vtpup »

Added sda5 in fstab, the partition UUID, and folder mount point /mnt/sda5, Added auto to the record. I already had a swap partition record btw --- sda7

Now I can mount sda5. But adding fstab entries manually is a drag, and how would I add a USB thumb drive? Would I have to do it every time a different thumb drive is plugged in? Needs UUID specified, too for that?

The JWM implementation in Ubuntu seems to lack some basic functions we take for granted. I suppose that is all built into Nautilus? So as soon as we drop that we lose easy mounting?

Toni please don't feel you have to spend time on this to correct it. I could probably do the fstab entries manually, and just use a single thumb drive always.

saintless

#93 Post by saintless »

vtpup wrote:Added sda5 in fstab, the partition UUID, and folder mount point /mnt/sda5, Added auto to the record. I already had a swap partition record btw --- sda7

Now I can mount sda5. But adding fstab entries manually is a drag, and how would I add a USB thumb drive? Would I have to do it every time a different thumb drive is plugged in? Needs UUID specified, too for that?
:) Don't edit fstab anymore.
Just for information how to mount drive from command line:

Code: Select all

mkdir /media/sda5
mount /dev/sda5 /media/sda5
/media is the default mount point in debian/ubuntu. Better use /media with this cd and dont forget it is ubuntu - not puppy.
To unmount sda5 use:

umount /media/sda5
fdisk -l gives list of all available devices.
This was just for information. You will have desktop icons mount and unmount all hdd, cd, usb in /media with single click.
linux-headers - I can't find ubuntu package for linux-headers for this kernel. If there is not deb package it is better not to remove linux-headers. It will be difficult to add them manually.
Most gnome dependencies are still included. If I try to uninstall them the system asks uninstalling linuxcnc and rtai-modules.
I think tomorrow you will have the second iso for testing and script to remaster easy new squashfs module from full install.
If it is OK I will give permanent downlod link and you or someone else can open new thread for it in case someone likes to continue improve and configure the system further with updated versions.

Toni

vtpup

#94 Post by vtpup »

sounds great Toni!

I think I will continue to play with this one to try to prove it works with the mill in the meantime.

Thanks for the easy way to mount! :oops:

I needed to mount another drive so I could transfer across the LinuxCNC mill configuration file I had worked out for my mill and driver boards -- otherwise that is a pain to construct new again.

So now that I can add the working configuration, I will test.

I also made one frugal install, and one full install for testing. I still have the original working Ubuntu install as well for comparison. all on different partitions. The full install has its own partition with nothing else in there.

ps. for the TP 600e I am using cheatcodes acpi=off noacpi nosmp pnpbios=off (these work in the original Ubuntu working LinuxCNC)

If I have problems I will delete those cheatcodes and try again.

I do not use lapic in the original working Ubuntu.

If I find everything works, I might just try a cheatcode to force APIC off just to see if we get the same error messages we did in DebianDog -- just out of curiosity.

saintless

#95 Post by saintless »

vtpup wrote:So now that I can add the working configuration, I will test.
Hope it works, Vtpup, because it is almost ready.
Just a teaser ;)

Toni

anikin

#96 Post by anikin »

vtpup,

What gets me thinking is why CNC in DebianDog runs on Toni's old laptop and doesn't run on yours. From my reading, CNC depends on HAL. DD doesn't have it, as HAL has been deprecated a long time ago and replaced by udev. But it's still available:

apt-get update
apt-get install hal
/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
BTW, installing HAL will have a side effect, or added bonus - it will enable flashplayer to play DRM video.

greengeek

#97 Post by greengeek »

vtpup wrote:...And also hoping for a (wireless) network program.
Frisbee (or puppies stock version(s) would be a VAST improvement over Ubuntu's original 8.04 junk.
I would recommend trialling rcrsn51's "PWF" (PeasyWiFi) from here
It gives you really good control of the wifi setup, and is easily removed if you don't like it. Frisbee can be overly 'automatic' sometimes - and hard to remove if it doesn't prove to be reliable.

PWF gives you full manual control (as if you were working via cli) but adds a gui for convenience.

vtpup

#98 Post by vtpup »

We have movement!!! :D

But not without a big problem before I solved it -- took most of the day.

The parallel port stopped working -- took a while to realize that was the problem -- I tried all kinds of things to get the new Ubuntu/Linuxcnc working --nothing,

But when I then tried TurboCNC and JediCut -- both of which also failed -- I realized the problem was the port, not the program. Both had worked before on this computer.

Possibly this is the same parallel port problem reported earlier for the TP 600X and I'm thinking it occurs after trying to run a late LinuxCNC liveCD.

I think the later liveCD corrupts the parallel port because there is a Ubuntu boot up message with early versions saying that one module won't be loaded because it sensed it was an IBM machine and it would corrupt the serial port. Probably this check was omitted from later versions of the loader and I wouldn't be surprised if loaded, it also affected the parport .

Anyway, solved it by reinitializing the Thinkpad bios -- which cured the parallel port problem.

(If anyone else has this problem from a late LinuxCNC distro, hold down the F1 key on boot and navigate through the Bios screens to "Initialize" -- click on that an the Bios will be restored.)

Then tried Toni's new Ubuntu mod LinuxCNC and it worked!

Dinner now -- more later..

vtpup

#99 Post by vtpup »

Here's what scrolls by during a normal boot of 8.04 Ubuntu with a Thinkpad 600 using an older kernel:

621.773568] piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.3: Found 0000:00:07.3 device
[  621.773587] piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.3: IBM system detected; this module may corrupt your serial eeprom! Refusing to load module!
[  621.773665] piix4_smbus: probe of 0000:00:07.3 failed with error -1

vtpup

#100 Post by vtpup »

saintless wrote:
vtpup wrote:So now that I can add the working configuration, I will test.
Hope it works, Vtpup, because it is almost ready.
Just a teaser ;)
Toni

Looks good Toni!

Gee if I'd known that pic was going to be in the distro -- I'd have cleaned my shop! :oops: But it looks great -- Thank you!!

One very small suggestion for a distro for others -- change program icon names to reflect a function, like Browse for Seamonkey, Edit for Geany, Paint for MtPaint, Calculate for Galculator, Mount, and Unmount, etc. Doesn't work for everything of course, but helps where possible.

Good for new people who don't recognize the names of programs to know what they are clicking on and where to find things. :D

re testing:

I just had time tonight to verify that I can jog the axis on the mill in LinuxCNC full install, didn't run a cutting program, or test the frugal install, or running mill from LiveCD.

Tomorrow will check it out fully. :D
Last edited by vtpup on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#101 Post by vtpup »

anikin wrote:vtpup,

What gets me thinking is why CNC in DebianDog runs on Toni's old laptop and doesn't run on yours. From my reading, CNC depends on HAL. DD doesn't have it, as HAL has been deprecated a long time ago and replaced by udev. But it's still available:

apt-get update
apt-get install hal
/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
BTW, installing HAL will have a side effect, or added bonus - it will enable flashplayer to play DRM video.
I dunno Anikin..... wouldn't that mean it wouldn't run on either computer?

vtpup

#102 Post by vtpup »

greengeek wrote:
vtpup wrote:...And also hoping for a (wireless) network program.
Frisbee (or puppies stock version(s) would be a VAST improvement over Ubuntu's original 8.04 junk.
I would recommend trialling rcrsn51's "PWF" (PeasyWiFi) from here
It gives you really good control of the wifi setup, and is easily removed if you don't like it. Frisbee can be overly 'automatic' sometimes - and hard to remove if it doesn't prove to be reliable.

PWF gives you full manual control (as if you were working via cli) but adds a gui for convenience.
I think I've tried them all (on Puppies since 4.x) and any of them is far more reliable than Ubuntu 8.04's programs. I do like the more manual versions, as you say. But grateful for anything that works!

saintless

#103 Post by saintless »

Hi, Vtpup.

Uploaded Ubuntu8.4-test-2.iso - 353Mb
Direct download link

Mirror download from here:
http://www.mydrive.ch/
username: guest@saintless
password: download

md5sum: a334d1a6e288c7aa573d134601dba422

Edit:29.04.2016 - I have e-mail from mydrive.ch my free account will have 100Mb storage limit in a month. I had to remove all files over 100Mb limit. Uploaded text file ISO-files-Moved-Here.txt with new storage location in dropbox in case someone visits mydrive.ch. This is the new download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ca58blnh2m6h ... Th0oa?dl=0

There is much more than icon names for user configuration. You can easy remaster the iso as you like it best later.

User accounts login details:
username root with password root
username puppy with password puppy

Booting from CD or frugall install will autologin as root and autostartx to desktop.
Booting from full install to command prompt for username and password. Choose to login as puppy or root and the system will auto-startx.

Included /usr/bin/remasterdog-cli script if you are using full install to change configuration settings and installing/uninstalling programs. For frugal install read the Edit: at the end of this post.
Before starting remaster open /opt/bin/remasterdog-cli with gedit and change DEST="/media/sda1" to point the correct partition where you will build new 01-filesystem.squashfs file. Then run in terminal remasterdog-cli and make sure you have swap 1Gb or more.
The script will build /media/sda1/work-dir executing cleaning and configurations for clean first live cd boot. Then the script will exit.
If you like to clean manually /root/.mozilla cache or other files in /media/sda1/work-dir do it and then make new remastered module with:

mksquashfs /media/sda1/work-dir /media/sda1/01-new-name.squashfs
it is important to use mksquashfs only from this live CD frugal or full install. It is old ubuntu version with old squashfs-tools and the kernel can't boot squashfs module made with later squashfs-tools versions. For example if you make the module from DebianDog or some modern Puppy it will not boot.

Frisbee included. If your wifi does not work we need to find the correct deb packages with drivers for ubuntu-hardy and install them manually with dpkg -i path-to-package command.

This is all from me for the moment. I'm not going to make further remasters and updated versions but i will check this thread if I can help you further with some fixes.

If you have any problems configuring ubuntu use google search for Ubuntu 8.4 and description of the problem. If you need to ask something in ubuntu forum do not tell the system boots to root. Use puppy user account to describe the problem.

Edit: Option to use partition for saving changes and remaster from frugal install.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 09:33, edited 4 times in total.

vtpup

#104 Post by vtpup »

Thank you Toni! :D

perdido

#105 Post by perdido »

I have an old IBM 390e laptop with PII 300mhz and 256 MB of ram.
I tested Ubuntu8.4-test-2.iso and it all seems to function as desired. No errors.

Don't have a CNC mill to try it on though.
Seems plenty quick. Great job.

saintless

#106 Post by saintless »

Small improvement for Ubuntu8.4-test-2.iso in case of frugal install or CD boot to add save partition option and make possible remastering from frugall install.
Patched initrd.gz to use save partition (ext2 or ext3).
Download from here (also uploaded in http://www.mydrive.ch/).
Rename initrd.gz-patch to initrd.gz and replace the old with the patched one inside /casper directory. Create ext2 or ext3 partition with Label casper-rw and add persistent to the kernel boot line.
Still can't make save file to work the same way.

Toni

Revolverve

#107 Post by Revolverve »

Took the time to try a frugal install of DebianDog-Jwm-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae-2.iso for real machine testing.
Work beautifully! on a fast "desktopless"... motherboard is sitting in an open cardboard box...with 2 cheap pci parallel port card to a small 3 axis steppers based cnc ,2nd port is for an encoders board not yet configure for linuxcnc.

Its an hotgrade from Coolcnc .
Take less than 190mb of ram .

Look stable.

Well done Saintless ,Vtpup ,Mr Kauler,Dr. Debian & all.

vtpup

#108 Post by vtpup »

Good to hear Revolverve! Keep us posted on this rig, pease!

(though all thanks due to Saintless...)

:D :D :D

vtpup

#109 Post by vtpup »

Some possibly extraneous, possibly dumb ideas, but I've been running Debian on an X86 tablet under Android as an image, and RDPing to it locally (ie to localhost).

It just occurred to me that a headless board might work in the opposite direction from a tablet. In other words, RDP or VNC to the headless board from the tablet and use the tablet for running the CNC machine.

I've already seen examples of people using cheap or discarded cell phones as DRO's via bluetooth. This would take it a step further -- the phone or tablet could be both a DRO and the CNC interface to a headless board running LinuxCNC in Debian -- or ideally Puppy.

Right now, the keyboard desktop computer and monitor take up a lot of space in a hobby size CNC setup. It would be interesting to just have a tablet in hand, like a CNC pendant that gives readouts and does the typing. If you added ftp you could send the G-code files as well.

Revolverve

#110 Post by Revolverve »

Yep Vtpup , you would become another tweaker in the recycling kingdom ..
or inspiration for the future saint of recyclers,no offence to anybody,pls.

You mean an Arm puppy rtai? Faithful you....ask you know who,
your trusty puppy's "Petr Mitrichev on skies" :D
Call it St-Bernard....mmm,no, too big of a dog for a tiny distro,....
Sorry for my avalange of lack of seriousness ,could not resist...