How to share a printer with Windows? [Solved]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

highway_man wrote:Should something appear on the screen?
No. But use the "ps" command to confirm that the Samba-TNG components are running.

There are some preliminary steps:

1. Reinstall your printer and give it a short one-word name, like SamsungNet. Some versions of Windows have trouble with long printer names.

2. Open the file /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf. Enable lines 10 and 11 by removing the semi-colons.

3. Restart the server with samba-stop and samba-start.

Then go here and read To set up a Windows Client. Use the port name

Code: Select all

\\pupserver\SamsungNet

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply? Is this issue resolved or abandoned?

highway_man

#18 Post by highway_man »

Not abandoned. Just verifying that it works after different kinds of power cycles.

I followed your instructions and it worked well. Then, I cycled power and it didn't. I figured out that Samba needed to be started at start up. After further reading, I installed your samba-autostart-1.1.pet further down the link previously provided. It has worked ever since. After looking over the samba file sharing, printer sharing was quite a bit easier than expected. Focusing in on
set up a Windows Client
made all the difference.

Safe to say: RESOLVED

Thanks again for your help.

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. But be aware that you are now running a fileserver along with the print server. It is sharing your /mnt/home across the network. If you don't want this, delete the [pupshare] section from your smb.conf.

highway_man

#20 Post by highway_man »

Double Bonus!

The computer with Puppy Linux is set up to shut down after 90 minutes of inactivity. It is primarily used as a print server and possible optional computer.

A print job was sent while the computer was not ready. Usually, these get stuck on the computer that sent the job. Today, the job was printed as soon as Puppy booted up.
Nice!

Also, this computer was previously the holder of files for transfer, sharing, etc. I redirected pupshare to point towards mnt/sdb1. This is the storage drive that holds the shared files.
I added a start up script to auto log on sdb1 from here and now I can access my stored files.

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.
A print job was sent while the computer was not ready. Usually, these get stuck on the computer that sent the job. Today, the job was printed as soon as Puppy booted up.
I don't know why that would be. It must have something to do with how Windows queues its print jobs. There must be a difference between setting up a "network" printer versus a "local port" printer.
I added a start up script to auto log on sdb1
You don't need a separate script. You already have an auto-start script for Samba - just add the code there. But mount sdb1 before you start the Samba server.