How to compile driver for N900 AE3000 USB wifi?

James186282

How to compile driver for N900 AE3000 USB wifi?

#1 Post by James186282 »

I've stumbled around looking for an easy way to use these super inexpensive USB WiFi adapters with Linux. I can't find a precompiled driver I can just try installing with modprobe. The folks at Realtek supply linux driver source (Which I've read needs minor edits to make it work for the Linksys/Cisco devices) I'm enjoying fiddling around and I'm a hardware guy so this is fun for me. I've looked around for a 1 2 3 on compiling drivers for Linux. If I understand it right it requires

1) I get the sfs for the gcc compiler package *Which on Puppy is the .devx package for whatever variation of puppy your using (Which is SO great btw) I check that I installed it correctly by typing
gcc --version (in Xterm or whatever cli you like)

2) Get and install the Linux source files for the version of Linux thats under the hood of the brand of Puppy linux I'm using. So for Lucid 5.28 it should be 2.6.33.2 Barry K has a spot where you can download stuff but I'm not clear about patches. Is it patches to make linux into puppy linux (?) and do I need to apply (and how) these patches before trying to compile a driver? I've got the kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs file and I've added it to the other .sfs files I load. *Now I have loads and loads of source in /lib/modules/2.6.33/source (Thats correct. Or?)

So I assume its put the driver source from realtek into an empty directory. I change the few lines that need to be changed then I
./configure ?
make ?
then? Modprobe? or should I move the .ko to a directory and somehow the system sees it and loads it?

I would really like to give this a crack. Any hand holding would be very much appreciated. Oh a second thought. If I use a version of puppy with a much newer kernel (Such as upup raring thats built from the 3.9.9 Linux Kernel do I avoid all this? Or at least see if its even workable to use one of these WiFi USB gizmos?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go to WikiDevi and look up your device. It will say what kernel supports it.

For example, Linksys AE3000. Note that this is a Ralink device, not a Realtek.

I looked up this device at Tiger Direct. I would not classify it as "super inexpensive".

James186282

#3 Post by James186282 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Go to WikiDevi and look up your device. It will say what kernel supports it.

For example, Linksys AE3000. Note that this is a Ralink device, not a Realtek.

I looked up this device at Tiger Direct. I would not classify it as "super inexpensive".
Thanks! I don't know if you remember me but you helped me get my porta printer going (The ancient yet still useful Deskjet 300)

Ebay has a place that sells these (buy it now) for $15 I'm not sure what the deal is except its just the dongle. No box, no plastic holder thingie. I've seen a Cisco version (Same chip set) go for the same. There are some Cisco USB WiFi adapters that don't do 5GHz that run $10 US or even less. I didn't look at the price on the auction end of things but I suspect they are even cheaper.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#4 Post by James186282 »

Ignore previous message. I left my batch file in the start directory (Forgot that) When I took it out eth0 stopped working.

I went back to the laptop. made the changes in renaming files and changing exec etc. eth0 still shows nothing if I run ifconfig. By that I mean it does not see the port at all.. The check file "eth0"static" is being written and looks good. Configure ethernet ports is back to the defaults IP address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and so on. Does it make any difference that on the printer network there in no router? Think of this as a laptop connected to the printer with a flipped CAT 5 cable.

In my "network" I use a switch to allow my machines to share the laser printer. Nothing else.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]