Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How Many Puppies Are There ?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct 2014, 15:36    Post subject:  

That depends on where you buy them.

I get my ice cream and my yoghurt from the local dairy that supply such goods to all the farm shops in the area.

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct 2014, 16:25    Post subject:  

you mean real food from real sources.

rossi is the ice cream creamy king round here plus there's a goat farm that makes its own from the goats milk...heavenly.

The german christmas choccie is in at lidl at the mo.... makes all yer english biccies , choc and cakes totally undesirable once you have sampled the real thing.

free range eggs from 4 different birds just up the road ... stunning they are and cheaper than any of yer not so supermarkets.

mike
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct 2014, 11:12    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to Puppy 5.25
Subject description: install whatever other Puppy you fancy alongside - using Grub4DOS as the boot menu? Just back up the

I-Dont-Know wrote:
My grander scheme with this whole thread is to gather enough knowledge to reformat my HD and live with a pc dual booting Puppy 5.286 and Ubuntu ver 13.xx

I like my Puppy 5.25 desktop and would like to keep my LupSave file and use it in 5.286; thus why I started this whole thread....
Thanks for your continued interest in Lucid Pup and migrating to the latest incarnation of it. As the maintainer of 5.2.8.6, I should be able to help you with the upgrade, but it is not as straightforward as one would like.

Between 525 and the 528plus versions (the basis for 5.2.8.6), many internal improvements were made. No attempt was made to make a migration path from 525 because of the severe changes. The risk is that your pupsave file might contain versions of internal/architecture files that are incompatible with the upgraded versions, and would override them, thus corrupting the installation. So, we need to handle this on a case-by-case basis.

To pursue a migration, I recommend initially creating an installation consisting of 5.2.8.6 and your pupsave, then running a "difference" listing between those components. The simplest way to do that -- if you can boot to the new installation -- is to enter the command:
Code:
diff -r /initrd/pup_rw /initrd/pup_ro2 > diff-525rw-5286ro2.txt
Then gzip it or put it into a archive (tar.gz) file (Utility > XArchive archiver). It may be a large file, but needs to be under 256K to be attached to a posting or PM to me -- if too large, we will need to compare some subsets of the entire puppy.

With that "difference" file, I should be able to find any files/scripts that conflict, so can recommend deleting the pupsave copies of such files. After that cleanup, we should be close to having something working for you. Are you open to that effort?
Richard
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 12:35    Post subject:  

methinks since the 5.25/5.28 differences appear to be in the script domain rather than binaries/kernel would updating be worth is if its potentially not quite as simple as it first seems. I still use 5.25 and it does the job...even wrapped it in the slax scripts for a chuckle.

It is still effectively compatible with ubuntu lucid so that source of additional software is valid either way.

Mike
I-Dont-Know

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 19:47    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to Puppy 5.25
Subject description: install whatever other Puppy you fancy alongside - using Grub4DOS as the boot menu? Just back up the

[quote="rerwin"]
I-Dont-Know wrote:

With that "difference" file, I should be able to find any files/scripts that conflict, so can recommend deleting the pupsave copies of such files. After that cleanup, we should be close to having something working for you. Are you open to that effort?
Richard

Before I take up any of your time, I will do my due diligence and try it out on my own. I just now created a 5.286 Boot DVD, booted to it, it found my 5.25 Lupsave files and offered to select one. I had made a copy of one for 5.286 to boot and selected that one. The 5.286 Boot DVD found it, upgraded it and loaded it.

To my delight, my desktop loaded just as it looked in 5.25; NICE !!!
My email was there.
My two browsers were there with all my bookmarks.
My file system was there.
Even my DropBox app was there.
For this initial trial, it seemed 5.286 is working well.
While using the desktop there were several calls out to the DVD drive and a short wait for execution. I think this will go away once I install to usb stick or perform a frugal install.

For now, I will dual boot between my 5.25 and 5.286 until I get used to this.

Meanwhile, I did notice that 5.286 detected my Nvidia card, but it could not load its functions - dual screen; I have my 46 inch flat screen tv connected to this computer; I'd like to use dual screen; I tried to use the Setup menu to configure the dual screen, but I guess I have to go out to NVidia or somewhere to find a PET package for those drivers. I will search this out; meanwhile if you can speed me along to enable 5.286 to use my NVidia card that would help. Until I can get my Puppy 5286 configged to use dual screen, I dual boot to Ubuntu 12.10 to use Dual Screen with my TV. Not elegant, but it gets the job done. I like to dual boot to my TV for my entertainment purposes; but would also like to dual screen for productivity purposes too. This is where using Puppy Linux for email, web and office apps would enhance my productivity nicely.

So I am working this along baby steps. Trying, seeing and learning along the way.

Thank you for your support.
I-Dont-Know....
Oh... my real name is Mike....

The card is an N520GT
Model N520GT-MD1GD3
GeForce GT 520
I-Dont-Know

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 21:12    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to Puppy 5.286
Subject description: Getting NVidia Video Card to Work

Having now created a 5.286 Bootable CD/DVD, I noticed that 5.286 recognized my copies of my backup copies of my 5.25 Lupsave files and upgraded them to 5.286. Real nice and a back saver.

Now comes the fun...
How can I get Puppy 5.286 to use the NVidia card to allow me to dual monitor with my 46 inch connected TV ?

Ubuntu and other Linux'es that I have tested can utilize the NVidia card out of the box giving me ability to Dual Monitor off my pc right off the iso burned bootable CD ? No mysteries involved.

Why not Puppy ? I thought I read here that 5.286 allowed for dual monitor ?
What am I not seeing ? understanding ? what do I need to do to achive this ?

Messing around with Xorgwizard on my Lupsave files have rendered them unbootable. So I have made backups of backups....
Mess one up, no problem, use another backup....
I've learned not to run out of good lupsave files.

I've used the Setup Wizard/Wizard and Package Manager to install and load anything Nvidia to no luck... just cannot get dual monitor to work in Puppy.

So for now, I will continue to dual boot to another Linux, or horrors, use my Windows pc to access the dual monitor capability.

Any help or clues will help.
A solution ? Priceless !!!

Mike (aka I-Dont-Know)
smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 22:34    Post subject:  

This thread may help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=642148#642148

I-Dont-Know

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct 2014, 00:44    Post subject: Dual Monitor setup NVidia
Subject description: No Stomach for Manually Editing my Xorg.Conf File

smokey01 wrote:
This thread may help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=642148#642148

I followed the link you provided and found many others.
I have no stomach for maually editing my Xorg.Cong file.
I will muck it up and render my system into a horrible mess that I won't be able to figure out how to fix.

I think I will put to rest trying to get this puppy to dual monitor.
Other Linux'es booting right off the ISO burned CD will dual monitor plug and play. No Xorg.Conf editing at all.

When I find that gem, it will be a break thru day....
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct 2014, 02:16    Post subject:  

Try this topic regarding Zarfy, it may help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=349390#349390
Try Zarfy and see if it recognizes your second monitor.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=22769

I tried it here and it seem to work ok but I only have one monitor.

I-Dont-Know

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 02:00    Post subject: NVidia driver for Dual Monitor
Subject description: Maybe I don't know how to install the NVidia driver

smokey01 wrote:
Try this topic regarding Zarfy, it may help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=349390#349390
Try Zarfy and see if it recognizes your second monitor.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=22769

I tried it here and it seem to work ok but I only have one monitor.

I tried Zarfy, but Zarfy only detected my one monitor.

I probably do not have the NVidia driver installed although I have tried to install it - at least I think I was.

I used Puppy Package Manager to install NVidia drivers.
But when I do this at some point I am prompted to use XorgWizard.
When I use this app, I end up with an unbootable Lupsave file.
Xwin will not load my lupsave file.

This is a show stopper. So I have to delete my Lupsave file and copy back in a known good backup copy and start over.

This is very perplexing and frustrating for me because I don't know how to manally edit Puppy to make it do dual monitor.

Here is the real rub.... if I use another Linux, any Linux, even a lightweight Linux and boot it off a CD or a USB, right out of the box, it recognizes my NVidia card, loads the drivers and I can use it to view my 46 inch TV.

But I want my everyday go to O/S, Puppy Linux to do this.
I don't really want to have to dual boot to something else to use my 46 inch TV with my everyday O/S.

While I am using Puppy Linux for my daily web, email, spreadsheets or whatever, I'd like to use my 46 inch TV to view a website on the TV and a separate spreadsheet on main monitor. Or if I want to pop out to a YouTube video while reading a related website I can't do this with Puppy.
I have to use a separate computer alongside my Puppy OS.
This is NUTs.

The other day, I spent the whole overnight futzing with loading NVidia drivers into my Puppy O/S; Each time it blitzed my Lupsave file. This caused me endlessly deleting the failed lupsave file and copying in a known good one only to break it again. Wash, rinse, repeat...

When the sun came up I figured I'd had enough.

I don't understand everything Puppy, but when I see other distro's that can right off their ISO file "do" dual monitor, but Puppy Linux can't, well that is perplexing to me.

Do I need to find a different .PET app not found in Package Manager ?
My brain is cooked. Stick a fork in me, I'm well done.
smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 02:53    Post subject:  

There are lots of puppy users that use dual monitors unfortunately I'm not one of them.
Try contacting BillToo in a private message he may be able to help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=16584

Have you searched for dual monitor in the forum? I know it can be frustrating but the journey with be worth it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=702856856&t=79870

neerajkolte

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 06:40    Post subject:  

Hi @I-Dont-Know,

I am a linux noob, so please bear with me if I didn't understand your problem.

I use dual monitor setup with Fatdog64.

Zarfy in Fatdog does things nicely.

Recently I installed Tahrpup. Could'nt find zarfy in it.

But this is what I did. Open terminal and type
Code:
xrandr -q
It should tell you the name of each screen and its current resolution. On my computer, my screens are “VGA1″ and “HDMI1″.To make one large desktop including both screens (Extended Desktop), run this command:
Code:
xrandr --output VGA1 --right-of HDMI1
That is all it takes. You can play around with it and see all of xrandr’s commands by running
Code:
xrandr -help
Please see This man page and This Howto for more info.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”
- Amara’s Law.

Last edited by neerajkolte on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:44; edited 1 time in total
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:05    Post subject:  

Great post Starhawk, I borrowed some of your text for the Puppy 5 page on the wiki.

Here is a page that lists the various types of Puppy-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersionIndex

Video help page here as follows (the Configure Additional Monitor page states something similar to Neerajkolte)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/video

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:39    Post subject:  

Thanks, darkcity!

rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2014, 15:37    Post subject: Re: NVidia driver for Dual Monitor
Subject description: Maybe I don't know how to install the NVidia driver

I-Dont-Know wrote:
The other day, I spent the whole overnight futzing with loading NVidia drivers into my Puppy O/S; Each time it blitzed my Lupsave file. This caused me endlessly deleting the failed lupsave file and copying in a known good one only to break it again. Wash, rinse, repeat...
. . .
Do I need to find a different .PET app not found in Package Manager ?
My brain is cooked. Stick a fork in me, I'm well done.
Have you tried the nVidia drivers I compiled especially for lupu 5.2.8.6 and uploaded as both pet packages and sfs files, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=739520#739520

The easiest way to test would be to add the appropriate SFS file to your setup. Be sure to use the correct driver for your card. Use the QuickPet "Drivers" tab, "Click here to test your graphics card" to determine the driver, then find the 5.2.8.6 version of that driver, for the variant of Lucid Pup that you are using.

Keep in mind, though, that your pupsave may have an old nVidia driver installed. If so, and if it can be uninstalled, please do that before trying new drivers. You are probably already on top of that, but I want you to understand that something in your "525" pupsave may be interfering. That's why I requested the difference file, so that I could try to rule out conflicts that could cause mysterious malfunctions.
Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 15:51; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: